Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 AM

1,759 posts, read 5,120,898 times

Advertisements

I think people forget that what, 20 years ago Patterson Park was one of the worst places in the city. I realize it's not nearly that bad anymore since the yuppies took over but you gotta be smart people. For me, the best defense is a good offense. While I would suggest everyone keep a knife on them at all times, I'll be damned if I'm just going to lay back and let someone rob me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,548 times
I have lived in Patterson Park for a year and a half and I can't wait to move - hopefully this spring some time. I would definitely not recommend it to anyone as their first place to live in Baltimore. And probably not as a second, third, fourth or fifth place, either.

While it may be a "transitional" neighborhood, those who have not "transitioned" out bring down the quality of life exponentially.

It is not just the crime. It is also about respect for neighbors and the neighborhood. Car horns blaring at all hours of the day and night because people are too lazy to get out of their cars and knock on a door or pick up their cell phone to let someone know they are waiting. I really don't care during the day or evening, but at 3 AM it is not cool. Single lane streets blocked by people who are too lazy to find a parking spot. Outside gatherings going on all night, most frequently in the summer. Certainly a rude surprise to me after I moved there in the fall and enjoyed 7 months of party-less nights. Parents smoking pot in front of their children who are running around and yelling until 4 AM... None of this was an issue when I lived in Canton or Federal Hill.

At that is even before you start talking about the car break-ins, burglaries and whatever crime someone committed to get the chopper overhead at least once a week. As far as I can tell, the city has no plan to try to reduce these crimes in the area. If they do, it doesn't work very well. And the police don't seem interested in trying. Of course this is a problem everywhere, but it is MUCH worse in Patterson Park than the other places in Baltimore I previously lived.

I also lived in Canton right by Safeway, to even compare the two neighborhoods is a waste of time - not only because of the crime and disrespect in PP, but what the areas offer. Canton at least has the park as a buffer zone to somewhat keep out the undesireable element. Patterson Park not only doesn't have the buffer, the undesireable element lives there. Canton has an array of stores, bars, restaurants, supermarkets, etc. that are within safe walking distance. Patterson Park has "Three...", an acceptible but IMO overpriced neighborhood restaurant, a few corner convenience stores with locked doors and bulletproof glass and a couple of taco shops. I love the taco shops and all, but a little variety of decent options would be nice. And most of Canton is still easy walking distance to the park.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 AM

258 posts, read 1,008,047 times
Sorry to hear about your experience fatty. I couldn't disagree more.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:10 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,551,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattypj View Post
I have lived in Patterson Park for a year and a half and I can't wait to move - hopefully this spring some time. I would definitely not recommend it to anyone as their first place to live in Baltimore. And probably not as a second, third, fourth or fifth place, either.

While it may be a "transitional" neighborhood, those who have not "transitioned" out bring down the quality of life exponentially.

It is not just the crime. It is also about respect for neighbors and the neighborhood. Car horns blaring at all hours of the day and night because people are too lazy to get out of their cars and knock on a door or pick up their cell phone to let someone know they are waiting. I really don't care during the day or evening, but at 3 AM it is not cool. Single lane streets blocked by people who are too lazy to find a parking spot. Outside gatherings going on all night, most frequently in the summer. Certainly a rude surprise to me after I moved there in the fall and enjoyed 7 months of party-less nights. Parents smoking pot in front of their children who are running around and yelling until 4 AM... None of this was an issue when I lived in Canton or Federal Hill.

At that is even before you start talking about the car break-ins, burglaries and whatever crime someone committed to get the chopper overhead at least once a week. As far as I can tell, the city has no plan to try to reduce these crimes in the area. If they do, it doesn't work very well. And the police don't seem interested in trying. Of course this is a problem everywhere, but it is MUCH worse in Patterson Park than the other places in Baltimore I previously lived.

I also lived in Canton right by Safeway, to even compare the two neighborhoods is a waste of time - not only because of the crime and disrespect in PP, but what the areas offer. Canton at least has the park as a buffer zone to somewhat keep out the undesireable element. Patterson Park not only doesn't have the buffer, the undesireable element lives there. Canton has an array of stores, bars, restaurants, supermarkets, etc. that are within safe walking distance. Patterson Park has "Three...", an acceptible but IMO overpriced neighborhood restaurant, a few corner convenience stores with locked doors and bulletproof glass and a couple of taco shops. I love the taco shops and all, but a little variety of decent options would be nice. And most of Canton is still easy walking distance to the park.
Crime is down in Patterson Park for the ninth straight year in a row. I would agree that Canton is a safer area to live in but I personally prefer Patterson Park. I love the park. It's that simple. In the three years I have lived here, I haven't had an issue. I live right on Baltimore Street so traffic is an issue-probably the main one. But, I am used to city-living having done so my entire life so it doesn't bother me. I lived in Canton also and can tell you the helicopter noise is no different in either. It's loud wherever you are. In terms of robberies of businesses, Patterson Park is at level with Canton. I don't consider the park a buffer zone because a lot of nice blocks and nice people live to the north of it. Patterson Park is not Canton or Federal Hill but I personally think it's going in the right direction and will be there one day.

The other interesting add-on to this thread. I attended the Neighborhood Meeting last night at St Elizabeths. There were about 200 in attendance and a person I know there lives right at the corner of Baltimore and Linwood and stated she had no idea who's car got broken into three times because she happened to know all of her neighbors and no one mentioned it. So, I am beginning to suspect the OP of the thread. Just my two cents.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:47 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,144,515 times
My daughter and a couple of roommates moved to a very nice renovated house in the 2200 block of East Lombard Street one block from the park a couple of summers ago. In less than 1 month, they had someone break in through an upstairs window from the fire escape and surprise one of the girls coming out of the shower, and then 2 weeks later the place was set on fire by a homeless person who was living in the basement (the only access to the basement was from a door in the backyard - no access from inside the house - and they had never had reason to go down there). They moved out to a house 2 blocks away on Gough Street, more because they were spooked by the whole experience than being afraid of the neighborhood itself. They had no other problems for the next year or so they lived there, but ended up moving back to Canton because the guy who owned the house decided to sell.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 AM

45 posts, read 182,590 times
Default Disrespect Affirmed

I would have to fully agree w/ fatty on the remarks about the disrespect. The car honking at all hours of the night is rude and disrespectful and just plain lazy. And the late night yelling too, people don't realize that the way these row houses are set up any noise reverberates through the whole block. The copter is a new one for us. It makes its daily rounds right over head, but Jonjj is right the copter is also overhead down at my school at UB. And again the trash and broken bottles is another factor that points to the rudeness and disrespect some of our neighbors have.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 AM

11 posts, read 40,604 times
First of all I have to say that the area north of Patterson Park is VERY different from the area south of the park. South is the park is pretty safe...you will occasionally get a car broken into nothing more. North is the park is a very different story...They say it's getting better but I'm not sure I would live there any time soon.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,826 times
Thank you all for responding. I just want to clarify a few things especially in response to Jonjj's most recent post. To be precise, I live slighty east of the corner of E. Baltimore and Linwood (closer to Curley). I'm confused about why my OP is being questioned simply because your "friend on the corner of E. Baltimore and Linwood" never heard of the break-ins. I am clearly not one of her direct or immediate neighbors, however, this should not imply that my experiences may not have occured. They did in fact...1 stolen car and 3 broken windows broken windows since last August (My car was your average vehicle and I DO NOT leave anything in my car). Not to mention the amount of trash in the alley behind my house. I'd like to reiterate my love for the city and several wonderful years being a resident. My motivation for writing in the first place was not to generalize, complain, or be naive. I was sincerely interested in hearing different insights about my situation. Again, I am aware of the potential costs of being a city resident and I am willing to deal with that. It was simply surprising to me that immediatly after moving from Canton to my house in Patterson Park I immediately experience some negative situations.

I was simply looking for feedback from others who live in the area to see if they have dealt with similar issues or if I am just having a string of very bad luck.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah9 View Post
Thank you all for responding. I just want to clarify a few things especially in response to Jonjj's most recent post. To be precise, I live slighty east of the corner of E. Baltimore and Linwood (closer to Curley). I'm confused about why my OP is being questioned simply because your "friend on the corner of E. Baltimore and Linwood" never heard of the break-ins. I am clearly not one of her direct or immediate neighbors, however, this should not imply that my experiences may not have occured. They did in fact...1 stolen car and 3 broken windows broken windows since last August (My car was your average vehicle and I DO NOT leave anything in my car). Not to mention the amount of trash in the alley behind my house. I'd like to reiterate my love for the city and several wonderful years being a resident. My motivation for writing in the first place was not to generalize, complain, or be naive. I was sincerely interested in hearing different insights about my situation. Again, I am aware of the potential costs of being a city resident and I am willing to deal with that. It was simply surprising to me that immediatly after moving from Canton to my house in Patterson Park I immediately experience some negative situations.

I was simply looking for feedback from others who live in the area to see if they have dealt with similar issues or if I am just having a string of very bad luck.
Well Savannah--I apologize. I attend the meetings on a monthly basis and know a few people who live on Baltimore near that intersection. I mentioned to them what you wrote and they were kind of astonished because they hadn't heard of anything like that. So, now knowing that you are not living at the corner, I understand and will let them know. To be honest, they thought it was some sort of gag.
I still recommend you attend the community meetings and listen and get to know your neighbors. It helps. Maybe that is why I have not been affected by crime. I guess we all kind of watch out for one another. Also, there are folks at the meeting who can address your issues. If there is an area of the neighborhood that has sparked a concern, the folks usually jump on it by contacting the police and spending more time with the patrols in that area. That may help you.
It was brought up that the 100 block of North Glover is of particular concern and there have been lots of calls made and issues addressed regarding that.

Now to address the trash issue: It was also brought up in the meeting. We had street sweepers that came along to clean but those funds have been cut so no more. The neighborhood has placed a grant in hoping to get some funds to start up that program again. Until it happens, we all have to do our part. I live on Baltimore Street and the trash piles up from two sources:
Folks walking by just throwing it on the ground and cars going by just dumping it out the window. I have actually watched entire McDonalds dinners being thrown out the window of cars. I just get out when I can and sweep a few houses down in both directions and pick it up. It's a pain but I live on a busy street and it's going to happen. Are the folks throwing it out the windows residents of our neighborhood? Who knows. I am not into the blame-game. I just deal with it.
The other issue is our recent arrivals who do not know how to dispose of trash properly. It should not go out until the morning of pick-up but lots of folks throw it out the night before. They have to be tactfully taught to wait.
The noise. Yes, that's a problem even moreso on Baltimore Street. I hear folks yapping it up at all hours sometimes.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcokes View Post
First of all I have to say that the area north of Patterson Park is VERY different from the area south of the park. South is the park is pretty safe...you will occasionally get a car broken into nothing more. North is the park is a very different story...They say it's getting better but I'm not sure I would live there any time soon.

You should probably thank all those folks who bought or moved into the neighborhood north of the park. They have made your area safer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore