Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 12,676 times

Advertisements

Help!?!

I am a native New Yorker that has been renting in Baltimore city for the past 4 years. I have recently decided to purchase a home. I have found that the neighborhoods in Baltimore can get kind of tricky. I found a home in the Cedarcroft area that I am interested in...but it is directly next to an apartment complex and near a major bus route. I thought I may have even spotted some gang script vandalism. I also heard of the recent armed robbery of JHU (maybe) students on Lake ave.
I don't have children so I am not really worried about that part.

Does anyone know about this area? I have heard good things, nearby Belvedere Sq and close to Towson, Rodger's Forge etc.

Any information you can provide would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:10 AM

280 posts, read 674,658 times
I am also originally from NY (state) and have lived in Baltimore about 7 years. That neighborhood is generally pretty good but the things you mention (apartment building, bus route, graffiti) would raise flags for me as well. I'd try for something on a side street. The things nearby are definite pluses.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:13 AM

4 posts, read 12,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael21214 View Post
I am also originally from NY (state) and have lived in Baltimore about 7 years. That neighborhood is generally pretty good but the things you mention (apartment building, bus route, graffiti) would raise flags for me as well. I'd try for something on a side street. The things nearby are definite pluses.

Thanks a bunch.. I think your first instincts are probably the best... I am going to move on.. TY

Old 03-10-2009, 02:57 PM

569 posts, read 1,441,795 times
Cedarcroft is actually a very good neighborhood. The demographics are similar to the Stoneleigh, Roland Park, and Homeland neighborhoods that it borders (white, upper-middle class). Anything north of Northern Parkway and west of The Alameda is going to be a relatively safe neighborhood.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,549 times
Hi, i am a single lady and I actually live on cedarcroft road. It is north of northern parkway. I also live west of The Alameda. i love it. The homes are all older, but safety is great. I was concerned about how safe it was when I bought my house in May of 2008, but I've been here 10 months now. I've never known of any crime. I've never seen any gang activity. I rarely even see children. It is so peaceful. There a lot of older neighbors who are the original owners of the home. As the sun goes down, I walk for exercise. I've never felt threatened. Other people exercise after dark too. It's very safe.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 AM

129 posts, read 163,075 times
Cedarcroft is a great neighborhood with charming homes next to great amenities. I live in the area and find it and the neighborhood next to it called Lake Walker to be very nice parts of Baltimore. The York Rd bus line does not bother me at all, and in fact I used to ride it occasionally to work with no problems. Because they are lesser known (especially Lake Walker) you can get very good bang for your buck, and remain in a relatively safe part of the city, near multiple food options. There appears to be a fair amount of home remodeling going on in Lake Walker, so I think it's a prime spot to buy into cheap and fix up a place.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 12,008 times
Next to an Apartment complex? Section 8 I would assume. Here ya go-

Man Robbed at Gunpoint Near Towson - Top News - Towson, MD Patch

Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 PM

569 posts, read 1,441,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandhopper2009 View Post
Next to an Apartment complex? Section 8 I would assume. Here ya go-

Man Robbed at Gunpoint Near Towson - Top News - Towson, MD Patch
These incidents are generally the exception rather than the rule in this neighborhood. Now go east of the Alameda (Idlewood) and it gets a little sketchy.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 AM

671 posts, read 1,545,976 times
Living next to an apartment complex in Baltimore equals Russian Roulette with your life and property. Good luck, may the odds forever be in your favor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore