Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:34 PM

52 posts, read 252,727 times

Advertisements

i would like to travel from baltimore to philadelphia. has anyone taken the amtrak? how is the train ride? are there many tunnels,bridges to cross? not to crazy about those. Or should i drive there? can anyone also suggest some bus companies that offer tours to philly. i am just going to sightsee not a business trip. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 04:31 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,549,517 times
train is the way although I have driven it also. three bridges on amtrak-all in maryland--nice scenery. not scary. one short tunnel leaving town. When you get to 30th Street Station, just walk down Market toward Center City. Try to hit South Street-lot of fun. And, the Reading Market.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:25 AM

689 posts, read 3,206,174 times
I've heard good things about the Bolt Bus, although I haven't taken it.

https://www.boltbus.com/wherewetravel.aspx

Old 02-08-2009, 01:45 PM

26,126 posts, read 48,749,174 times
Amtrak will get you to downtown Philly, walking distance to Reading Market (food heaven), Liberty Bell, a Macy's with one of the world's largest pipe organs (used to be Wannamaker's) and a full day of walking around that area.

We did our day trip from DC, via Amtrak's Acela, but the cheaper trains will do fine, as will any bus that gets you to downtown Phila.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:47 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,205,511 times
Because you are going to sightsee, which I interpret as meaning you are going to check out Center City Philadelphia, I think Amtrak is definitely the best option. Driving to Philadelphia from Baltimore isn't all that hard (though the tolls at the Millard Tydings Bridge and in Delaware are very annoying), but driving and parking in Center City Philadelphia is another story, due to narrow streets. One cool thing about Amtrak is for a few miles just east of the Wilmington train station, the Northeast Corridor runs along side I-495. Unless there are some issues with train traffic or the train itself, your train will pass ALL the vehicles you see on I-495 that are headed in the same direction. (You'll want to sit on the left side of the train going towards Philadelphia if you want to see this.)

Places you may be interested in checking out:

*30th Street Station itself
*Art Museum
*Franklin Institute
*Rittenhouse Square neighborhood
*South Street neighborhood (especially in the few blocks on either side of 4th Street)
*Old City neighborhood
*Society Hill neighborhood
*Independence Mall area (Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Constitution Center, etc.)
*U.S. Mint (across street from Independence Mall)
*Betsy Ross House
*City Hall building
*Reading Terminal Market
*Mitchell and Ness store (if you are into sporting goods)
*Italian Market along 9th Street (i.e. location where Pat's and Geno's cheesesteaks are located)

All of these places except the last one are in Center City, and even the last one isn't that far south of Center City.

SEPTA is the primary transit provider in the Philadelphia area. If you think you'll be making 4 or more separate trips, buy a 1 day Convenience Pass. If you are making less than 4 trips, buy tokens (yes, SEPTA still uses tokens). If you use SEPTA Regional Rail (which I suspect you won't, unless you are going to some of the outer neighborhoods like Chestnut Hill), you can get discounted round-trip fares on weekends.

One final thing - Philadelphia is one of the most walkable cities in existence because most of the streets are fairly narrow and easy to cross. Even the wider streets (Broad Street, Market Street) aren't super-wide.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:21 PM

26,126 posts, read 48,749,174 times
Chip72, great list and ditto on taking Amtrak.

Amtrak can take one not only from Penn Station in Baltimore but also the park/ride at BWI airport and a few other stops along the way.

One can also take a local commuter train from many stops on MARC's Penn Line into Penn Station and transfer to Amtrak at Penn Station.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:52 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,051,564 times
I advise you not to drive. The tolls and traffic, not to mention the high cost of parking in Philadelphia, will ruin the trip. The best ways to go are Amtrak, Bolt Bus, and Megabus. The Megabus stop for Baltimore is next to the White Marsh mall. Both Megabus and Bolt Bus stops in Philadelphia are right next to the 30th Street station, so whichever of the three you take, you will arrive at the same place. Philadelphia is a fantastic city with plenty to see and do. Market Street is the main east-west street that runs from river to river, so head towards Center City on Market from the 30th Street Station to begin exploring the downtown area.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:28 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,369,039 times
I don't know!? I enjoy driving in Philly amongst the tolls and traffic, but what one could do is drive up, park your vehicle at a Regional Rail stop (Darby, Collingdale, Media, PA), then take the train into Center City/Market Street/30th Street Station/Temple or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I advise you not to drive. The tolls and traffic, not to mention the high cost of parking in Philadelphia, will ruin the trip. The best ways to go are Amtrak, Bolt Bus, and Megabus. The Megabus stop for Baltimore is next to the White Marsh mall. Both Megabus and Bolt Bus stops in Philadelphia are right next to the 30th Street station, so whichever of the three you take, you will arrive at the same place. Philadelphia is a fantastic city with plenty to see and do. Market Street is the main east-west street that runs from river to river, so head towards Center City on Market from the 30th Street Station to begin exploring the downtown area.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:30 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,369,039 times
The Regional Rails in Philly are cool, plus the trolleys if you can handle some of those crazy ass kids and adults who ride them.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:14 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,549,517 times
Although a longer drive, about once a year I take Route 1 to Philly. It gives me a chance to breathe a bit before getting into town. It's less hectic and a bit of fun to connect the two dots via a regular road and no tolls or heavy traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore