Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,977 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

My wife and I are moving to Baltimore from Wyoming and have a 6-year old boy. I start April 1 and my family will join me in May after our son finishes kindergarten.

I will be working on St. Paul and Baltimore and my wife is applying to nurse at Hopkins. We are looking in the $300-350K range, but really need to find a good school. I would prefer to walk to work, but I understand that is probably tough in our price range.

I'm really nervous about the schools. We could do a private school with $6-8K tution, but not Friends, Boys Latin, etc. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Also any suggestions for what to do with a 6 yo over the summer would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 03:41 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,546,415 times
There are plenty of private school selections in the city to choose from at that price range. Your son would be entering grade school. If you chose the Canton area, you have St. Casimirs.
Home (http://www.stcasimirschool.us/Pages/home.aspx - broken link)
There are also some decent public schools in the city. Look into Patterson Park Community Charter School which is near the same area.
The location would be convenient for both you and your wife.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:58 AM

258 posts, read 1,007,733 times
notwanted is a very scared person. wow. jcrosshbar I just sent you a PM on the schools.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:24 PM

12 posts, read 120,695 times
I think it would best serve all posters in this thread to read the Maryland State Department of Education School Improvement Assessment data before providing the original poster sweeping generalizations or unsupported conclusions.

Mount Washington Elementary School for example in Baltimore City is one of the top performing elementary schools in the state.
Welcome to Mt. Washington Elementary School
School Improvement Data for Mt. Washington Elementary
Parent Reviews from Great Schools

Here is one parent review:
"My son is enjoying a great year in kindergarten. Fantastic staff, committed parents, and support from the entire Mt. Washington neighborhood community! There are a full range of special subjects: Music, Art, Spanish, Strings Orchestra, P.E. Library, as well as Advanced Academics programs for every grade from K through 5th - with two dedicated teachers. We couldn't be happier! My older son went to a highly rated private school in Baltimore, which we felt was a good choice at the time, but I don't think the quality of instruction he received was any better than the experience that my younger son is getting at MWES."

In all it is best to do your research to find what will be best for you. Hopefully this forum can give you the tools to do so! Best of luck in coming to Baltimore!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:36 PM

260 posts, read 838,850 times
There are a small number of good public schools in the city, but you really have to look for them. The school mentioned above is known for being one of the better schools in the city, but it's also in a very expensive area.

You might want to think about looking at the Rogers Forge neighborhood in Towson. The neighborhood is in Baltimore County but it's right by the city line. It's also very close to where you will be working. It is a neighborhood of row homes and is very walkable so you'll definitely get a close-knit community feel. Most importantly, it's in a very good school district.

I really wish this animosity people in the city have towards people in the suburbs (and vice versa) would stop.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:52 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,546,415 times
No one has expressed any animosity toward a suburbanite on this thread. However, there was a sweeping generalization of city schools which I find kind of ignorant personally. There are good city schools, a number of them attaining the standard of achievement. High schools alone bring Western, Poly, and City-College; three of the best high schools in the area. I would much rather send my child to any of those choices than to Glen Burnie or Rosedale. As far as elementary schools, if you are looking to buy a home in the 300 thou range, chances are the public school in that area is not to bad. But, it's best to visit and determine yourself rather than hearing hearsay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore