Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:19 PM

7 posts, read 34,437 times

Advertisements

A few bike-related questions.

1. A woman I know whose father and sister are Chicago cops --- so she's not easily scared --- told me that she stopped bicycling when she moved to Baltimore because of the bicycle muggings: she had two friends pushed off their bikes and beat up in the middle of the day. It sounds like they were taking short cuts through the parts of the city north of Fayette. After I told this story to a friend who used to live in Bolton Hill, he said that he got punched several times by a kid while riding through his own neighborhood, though maybe the portion a bit further up north.

I've googled for terms related to bike muggings, but haven't seen many reports at all --- just a few in other cities, plus a couple reports on the Baltimore spokes list about people who had been riding on the Falls trail (not specified which one).

Are bike muggings a problem in Baltimore, or is it just in the areas where muggings are a problem? I'm getting a sense that it's the latter, but do want to make sure.

2. Is there a safe route to bike-commute between Pikesville and the city (Hopkins hospital, say)?

3. What's a safe daytime bike route between Hopkins and Bayview hospitals? I'm happy to go a couple miles out of my way to avoid sketchy areas, if that's what it takes. How's Eastern Ave, or should I go further south?

4. Likewise, how is bike commuting between Bayview and Canton?

Thanks!

I'm moving to the area from Chicago and an avid bike commuter. I have lots of friends in Pikesville which is why I would consider it in spite of my city roots, but also considering a place in Canton (between the two hospitals.) I'm a researcher not clinician, so no weird hours.

Last edited by chigirl42; 07-23-2008 at 04:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 04:37 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
Like Chicago, there are areas of the city best to be avoided unless you happen to live there. I ride my bike all the time in Baltimore and have never had an issue. Pikesville to Hopkins Hospital is a tough one. I personally wouldn't do it. Hopkins to Bayview is a different story. From Hopkins, bike south to get past Orleans/Fayette and then head east. Include Patterson Park as part of your route. To Bayview, I would probably bike out Lombard. Bayview to Canton is fine but there is traffic along Eastern. Once past Greetown, it is a breeze by taking residential streets.

In terms of bikers being hassled, the biggest problems I have had are with cars but I also avoid the sketchy areas when biking. Anything north of Orleans/Fayette on the east side would be considered sketchy.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:43 AM

156 posts, read 787,104 times
My 14 year old daughter was robbed of her bicycle by a group of older teens in the method you describe. It happened at noon on a summer day in Patterson Park with plenty of people around. No one helped her-no one called the police. Put that on your long list of places to avoid.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Please, most people in Patterson Park even call non-emergency police/311 when there is a lost dog in the park. I'm not saying that the bike incident did happen, but I'm willing to bet it was a number of years ago.

I'm in Patterson Park everyday, and I can tell you, Chigirl42, that it will be a lovely part of your commute.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimore's best View Post
My 14 year old daughter was robbed of her bicycle by a group of older teens in the method you describe. It happened at noon on a summer day in Patterson Park with plenty of people around. No one helped her-no one called the police. Put that on your long list of places to avoid.

Wow, you should contact bawlmer because he had an identical experience.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Please, most people in Patterson Park even call non-emergency police/311 when there is a lost dog in the park. I'm not saying that the bike incident did happen, but I'm willing to bet it was a number of years ago.

I'm in Patterson Park everyday, and I can tell you, Chigirl42, that it will be a lovely part of your commute.

Ditto. Being from Chicago, I am sure chigirl has her wits about her.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:28 PM

31 posts, read 138,327 times
On a related sub-topic: I'm moving across from Penn Station and work in DC. As crazy as it might sound, I thought I'd like to ride my bike to work once or twice a week, ride the MARC train home and back to work, then ride my bike from work home.

All the published Washington/Baltimore routes show how to ride from DC to downtown Baltimore. If anyone has any suggestions on a safe route from the harbor/downtown area to Penn Station(assuming there is one), I'd love to hear them.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Default Safe Penn Route

Yes, take Saint Paul Street or Charles Streets from Downtown to Penn Station. Make sure to wear a helmet and practise bike safety. One day maybe we will have bike lanes. . .

Old 07-26-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Yes, take Saint Paul Street or Charles Streets from Downtown to Penn Station. Make sure to wear a helmet and practise bike safety. One day maybe we will have bike lanes. . .

Speaking of which, I noticed this week that new bike lanes have been placed on 33rd from Charles up to the lake.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:14 AM

757 posts, read 2,554,381 times
For less traffic, I'd take the Fallsway or Park Ave. from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore