Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 8,858 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 20-something from Hunt Valley and am looking to meet people and re-start my life. I'm a musician and keep hearing that Baltimore has one of the best music scenes in the nation... are there any good places to get started?

Also... is there any point in moving into the city? I'm looking for a short-term place to live on the soon side, but everything I am hearing about the crime rate is a little worrisome since I have heavy instruments and I'm a short blonde female with an old car! Would I just be better off sticking with the suburbs when looking for a roommate and apt? I work in Towson.

ps- regarding a few other threads, people from HV aren't terribly snobby, it's just impossible to meet young people since it's mostly families. The apts. here and in Cockeysville are ridiculously overpriced for what they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 02:04 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,603,482 times
Well--you only live once. I say go for it. Plenty of people live in the city.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:08 PM

108 posts, read 307,821 times
You'll be fine in the city as long as you don't do stupid things like leave your instruments on the front seat of your car in plain view. Search the forums if you want recommendations on great city neighborhoods...Charles Village, Mt. Vernon, Fells Point to name a few.

Considering your age and the fact that you're a musician, most suburbs will be boring. Come to the city where there are loads of musicians and university students who are looking for new friends.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:19 AM

201 posts, read 590,305 times
Station North near the train station is a great place for a musician.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:30 PM

21 posts, read 101,253 times
Damn I am moving there from Jersey next month and that is not very welcoming. As far as the original post I think you should stay in the suburbs Baltimore is pretty dangerous I am only going to school there. I am 21 and really tiny and there is no way I would live in Baltimore but thats just me, I am sure you will find good friends just be cautious and you will do fine.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:12 PM

757 posts, read 2,555,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdesousa View Post
Damn I am moving there from Jersey next month and that is not very welcoming. As far as the original post I think you should stay in the suburbs Baltimore is pretty dangerous I am only going to school there. I am 21 and really tiny and there is no way I would live in Baltimore but thats just me, I am sure you will find good friends just be cautious and you will do fine.
You're from Jersey and obviously don't know much about the city based on your other posts, but you're giving people advice about living in Baltimore city? That doesn't seem fair. Maybe I should start posting my opinions on the Jersey forums.

As to the OP, are you FROM Hunt Valley or do you currently live in Hunt Valley? If you're from there, I would hope that you have some knowledge of the city and don't need an internet forum to tell you about it, as it's only a few miles down I-83.

I know several musicians who live or have lived in Charles Village. Hampden is also a good bet--the bars and restaurants are full of hipsters. The Station North/MICA area seems to be where a lot of music scene is coming from, as it has a lot of studios and potential practice space, although it's rougher around the edges (maybe attractive to artists):

Breaking Artist: Beach House : Rolling Stone

Old 12-24-2008, 04:22 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,603,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdesousa View Post

Exactly how tiny??? I say anything above three feet and you're fine in the city as long as you don't go out trying to buy drugs at night. Also, get familiar with the city before you post. There are lots of nice neighborhoods in the city that are way more interesting than the burbs.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 8,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
You're from Jersey and obviously don't know much about the city based on your other posts, but you're giving people advice about living in Baltimore city? That doesn't seem fair. Maybe I should start posting my opinions on the Jersey forums.

As to the OP, are you FROM Hunt Valley or do you currently live in Hunt Valley? If you're from there, I would hope that you have some knowledge of the city and don't need an internet forum to tell you about it, as it's only a few miles down I-83.

I know several musicians who live or have lived in Charles Village. Hampden is also a good bet--the bars and restaurants are full of hipsters. The Station North/MICA area seems to be where a lot of music scene is coming from, as it has a lot of studios and potential practice space, although it's rougher around the edges (maybe attractive to artists):

Breaking Artist: Beach House : Rolling Stone
From - I grew up here, spent a couple of years away, moved back in '04 and have had the worst time meeting people. I'd like to give it another chance here before I relocate (probably Philly) since there's a good music scene.

I was actually more interested in new ways to connect with people my age, I've tried continuing education classes etc., with no luck. I've been playing open mic nights out in the 'burbs and yeah, the bar scene out here is pretty boring. Everything on rent.com for Cockeysville/Towson are soulless overpriced boxes. Yuck! Personal Info Alert: My fellow musician-ex just left me without a trace (while I was out of the country grrr) for someone who appears to be involved with the Station North scene so I'm kinda nervous about trying to get involved down there now.

Another issue is that I also need a roommate -- are there any good places to look for roomies that would accept month to month rent? I've poked around on Craigslist a bit.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:24 AM

258 posts, read 1,011,775 times
Lots of scared people out there. Pretty amazing really. How do folks NOT find new friends and meet new people anytime they move? I moved here 4 years ago and I have met and become friends with a lot of people...ranging from people that have lived here their whole lives to newcomers. Black, white, latino, gay, old, young....what is the problem here folks?

Old 12-26-2008, 05:19 PM

15 posts, read 102,131 times
I second Hamden. It sounds ideal for you, based on the (albeit limited) info you supplied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore