Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,784 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm am moving to Baltimore along with my husband in June/July. My employer is in Hunt Valley so I need access to 83. I am looking for a "hip", entertaining, yet safe area. I've heard Federal Hills, Fells Pt, Canton.

Any specific recommendations for apartment complexes? I really appreciate this! It's hard to look for housing from across the country and I won't be flying down until late spring.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:58 AM

1,759 posts, read 5,122,816 times
Entirely depends on what you want to spend

Old 02-25-2009, 11:53 AM

181 posts, read 631,482 times
There aren't what you would call "hip, entertaining" areas in or near Hunt Valley. (Unless you're entertained by shopping at Wegman's.) Hip and entertainment is pretty much located in the city. And as Davec said, a lot depends on what you're housing budget is. We wish it wasn't so, but generally, the more you spend the "safer" you are. Those three neighborhoods you mentioned are generally the targets of most of the young professionals I deal with. (Some areas in the county are less safe than in the city). Most rentals in those areas are for all or part of townhouses. Federal Hill has only "luxury" apartment buildings with rare vacancies. Fells Point has and I highly recommend. Thames Point Apartments. Canton has Tindeco Wharf-for specifics.
I understand it is hard to look coming from across the country. But bear in mind that life is full of tradeoffs: cost, quality, commute time, traffic, risk, amenities just being a few. Feel free to direct message me if you have more specific questions as you get closer to the spring visit.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:02 PM

280 posts, read 672,480 times
Roland Park and Hampden are adjoining neighborhoods both accessible to 83. Hampden is hipper and more entertaining; Roland Park is safer.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,784 times
Thanks for your help! I'll keep looking into these areas. I'm going to say $1000-$1300 is probably my budget. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:04 AM

201 posts, read 588,041 times
I also work in Hunt Valley. The commute is easiest from Fells Point or Hampden. In Federal Hill you have to snake through Downtown. Plenty of people do it, I did it for a few years, but it adds about 10 minutes each way, and downtown events like O's games will increase that. Also check out Mount Vernon, great restaurants and architecture, very walkable. Check into renting a row home instead of an apt complex. It is much more common in these neighborhoods. The Baltimore City Paper classifieds is a good resource.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:46 PM

280 posts, read 672,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltong1009 View Post
I also work in Hunt Valley. The commute is easiest from Fells Point or Hampden. In Federal Hill you have to snake through Downtown. Plenty of people do it, I did it for a few years, but it adds about 10 minutes each way, and downtown events like O's games will increase that. Also check out Mount Vernon, great restaurants and architecture, very walkable. Check into renting a row home instead of an apt complex. It is much more common in these neighborhoods. The Baltimore City Paper classifieds is a good resource.
I agree with this. Mount Vernon would also work for you since it is accessible to I-83 via Centre St.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 8,424 times
I live in Mt Vernon, right by the Centre Street ramp onto 83. $1,300 might be workable here. It's a really awesome neighborhood, and I think most of the people in my building are Hopkins students (including me), Hopkins residents, and young professionals.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:16 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,339,509 times
In Baltimore, if you want to have very safe fun in more Contemporary digs, I would also recommend Harbor East. Sadly, I can only afford to shop there, LOL . I personally love Harbor East. I love historic homes and MV is beautiful, but I also really love some of the new places because the windows are so big, and I like modern decor and architecture as well. From Balto, your commute will be against traffic, as well. Harbor East provides a POSH and SAFE and fun location. Here's an option that you can come down and visit: The Promenade at Harbor East | Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: