Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 06:26 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,063 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions that regards the upper fells point neighborhood in Baltimore. To give you some input on me, I'm a 33 year old man who is soon to be married. I'm moving from the NYC area and am looking for a place that's somewhat urban, not TOO expensive, safe and close to common city anemeties (businesses, parks, transportation etc.)
Here goes the question rampage:

*** Does this area have high crime? (It's baltimore! I'm sure you don't have to drive far to be in a nasty neighborhood)

*** What's the commute time via car to Baltimore penn station?

*** Does the neighborhood vary in the types of people and professions?

***What's the ballpark price for buying/renting, taxes or other expenses TYPICALLY in this area?

***Any other opinions or expirences from people who know about the upper fells point area would be great....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 07:26 PM

13 posts, read 64,779 times
As a general rule of thumb, I'd stay south of Baltimore Street. North of there and you will run into some serious crime. I don't care what the price is.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:58 PM

108 posts, read 307,509 times
I disagree. I see Fayette St. as the cut off. There are plenty of nice homes between Baltimore and Fayette - and a new mixed income Hope IV community called Broadway Overlook, I think.

If the Oldtown Master Plan is implemented as planned, in the next 5-10 years Orleans St and maybe Monument will be the cutoff. Better neighborhoods are expanding north.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:30 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,592,508 times
*** Does this area have high crime? (It's baltimore! I'm sure you don't have to drive far to be in a nasty neighborhood) No---but you can check the crime map through the Baltimore City Police Map.

*** What's the commute time via car to Baltimore penn station? Car---5-10 minutes

*** Does the neighborhood vary in the types of people and professions?--Yes, there are professionals, Latino influence, varied

***What's the ballpark price for buying/renting, taxes or other expenses TYPICALLY in this area?--buying-around 250 or more; but some are available for rehab; renting-depends on the condition

***Any other opinions or expirences from people who know about the upper fells point area would be great.... I like the area. It is close to a lot of stuff, walking distance to downtown, Whole Foods, theaters, waterfront, good restaurants

Old 03-06-2009, 08:08 AM

201 posts, read 589,813 times
I live on Lombard in Upper Fells and think it is a great neighborhood. Walking distance to Fells Pt, and Patterson Park. Good Latin restaurants too. Its an easy commute downtown or I83, and the #7 bus drops you off one block from Camden Yards in under 10 minutes. A bit rough around the edges at times, but always improving.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:24 AM

22 posts, read 170,845 times
Great neighborhood, very ethnically (large Hispanic pop) diverse with a big mix of white and blue collar occupations as well as some service sector jobs, still some rough patches, but as you will find if you read more posts, most neighborhoods in Charm City have questionable outskirts. North of Patterson Park is fairly similar to Upper Fells with a slightly longer walk.

I'd say you could probably find a nice rehab rental with 2BR/2 full baths for anywhere from ~$1100-1400, and purchase prices are probably from 220k to 250k+ for something that has most of the work done already. There are tons of rental properties now and most likely if you are dealing with the owner, they will be semi-negotiable on rent price. If you buy, however, prepared to be floored at the property taxes you will face.

With it's proximity to Harbor East, it's great if you'd prefer to be close to what is and will only become more of a chi-chi area. Some of the city's nicest and most upscale resaturants are in Harbor East. Central location for commuting, too. I agree with whoever said to stay generally south of Fayette and if it were me, I'd stay east of Washington St or so towards the Butcher's Hill area... but there are plenty of great blocks north of Baltimore St. that are rapidly gentrifying and may be better in terms of investment if you are planning to stay for 5+ years.

Last edited by wigs817; 03-06-2009 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-09-2009, 03:48 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Its interesting how Upper Fells Point and Highlandtown seem to be attracting hispanic residents/businesses.. though baltimore as a whole does not seem to have the influx of latinos as in NOVA or DC suburbs of MD. I think it does add to the cityscape from a cultural and culinary propsective.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:32 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Which latino ethnicites?

Puerto Rican? Dominican? Guatamalan? El Salvadorean? Mexican?

Do people notice a certain restaurant theme...if you aren't readily sure off-hand...?

Old 12-17-2009, 04:34 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,163 times
Default A mixture

All those Hispanic backgrounds are represented in Broadway/Upper Fells Point, which IMO is perhaps more a center for communal activities than it is a residential area (as Hispanics are moving to Highlandtown). The 7-11 at Pratt and Broadway has sometimes hundreds of men milling around waiting to be picked up for day labor. There are lots of Central American eateries, travel agents, community centers etc. Drop in at any of the many bodegas and look at the notices on the wall. Seems that there is a regular bus going from the D.C. area to Mexico.
Item: Peek into the kitchen of most Little Italy restaurants or even a Thai restaurant in Towson and you'll see the cooks are Central Americans. I guess it's a matter of economics.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:58 PM

775 posts, read 1,784,093 times
I also live in Upper Fells and it is one of the better places to live in the city. Remember, we are talking relative terms here. It's not bad by Bmore standards. So here goes: The area is dirty, especially closer to Eastern Ave. Streets and alleys are littered with disgarded bottles, cans and the like. Prostitution is active on Eastern Ave. Parking is horrible. Alley streets, of which there are many, are mostly renters who really don't care. My house has been broken into, locked bicycles stolen and car window broken out. On the plus side: Patterson Park is not bad, it's a nice place to take a walk and there are recreational opportunities through BSSC. There are ample restaurants and bars, including an Ecquadoran restaurant on Eastern that serves Nanny Goat stew. So far I haven't been shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: