Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:15 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times

Advertisements

For the Most walkable, family-friendly and safe, I would choose Bolton Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 05:57 AM

805 posts, read 2,115,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
For the Most walkable, family-friendly and safe, I would choose Bolton Hill.
Awesome to hear it.

I just got a dog, well puppy, and it's great going on walks with her in Bolton Hill. I have met a lot of people and dogs in the neighborhood now. Most people are really friendly so it has worked out well so far.

I live on kinda the edge of Bolton Hill and it takes probably 5-10 minutes to walk to Penn Station. The metro, light rail, and Amtrak are all really close to Bolton Hill and Mount Vernon.

I work out of the city but drive. It's not bad getting out of the city. It takes about 10 minutes (the lights aren't timed right) and is basically Eutaw to MLK to 395.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:52 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,512,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
(the lights aren't timed right) .
Except on St. Paul and Calvert Streets, there aren't any lights timed properly in the city. The County is even worse!

But I too suggest Bolton Hill. Not a resident, but I would live there.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:07 AM

250 posts, read 905,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolott View Post
The Camden Line of the MARC has had its service reduced fairly recently. You might want to go to the Maryland MTA's website and check the schedule -- see if that would work for you. I wish the MARC ran on weekends, but it's barely functional half the time during the week.

I used to ride the MARC between Baltimore and DC, and it added about 2 hours each way to my commute -- between the MARC and the DC Metro...it wore me down after a few years.
If it ran on weekends, that there would be a boost to the city of Baltimore, as weekends would be a hop on train to DC goers where one could enjoy better night life. Rents and everything in Bmore would go up.

But Baltimore city which is insular wouldn't see people shopping and spending in DC as a good thing, even though ppl from DC area would be coming up too, so they wouldn't push for weekend service. I heard the service and reduced fare, was intended mainly for state employees as there are state offices in Baltimore (and not just Annapolis). The MARC is funded by MD taxes, with subsidized (and pretty low) fares to commuters, and weekend services would obviously require more funding.

I had a good experience staying at The Standard, in Baltimore, which was in Mt.Vernon. Luxury apartment building, and it was walking distance to The Penn Station. Area is quiet (one might find it dead), in Baltimore you still need a car to get about doing normal things...but keeping a car in the garage isn't so expensive (like other cities), and this area was relatively safe area and didn't face the ghetto. It was in walking distance to the Inner harbor as well. It's about 1 mile walk, on a straight road.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:07 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayfan View Post
If it ran on weekends, that there would be a boost to the city of Baltimore, as weekends would be a hop on train to DC goers where one could enjoy better night life. Rents and everything in Bmore would go up.

But Baltimore city which is insular wouldn't see people shopping and spending in DC as a good thing, even though ppl from DC area would be coming up too, so they wouldn't push for weekend service. I heard the service and reduced fare, was intended mainly for state employees as there are state offices in Baltimore (and not just Annapolis). The MARC is funded by MD taxes, with subsidized (and pretty low) fares to commuters, and weekend services would obviously require more funding.

I had a good experience staying at The Standard, in Baltimore, which was in Mt.Vernon. Luxury apartment building, and it was walking distance to The Penn Station. Area is quiet (one might find it dead), in Baltimore you still need a car to get about doing normal things...but keeping a car in the garage isn't so expensive (like other cities), and this area was relatively safe area and didn't face the ghetto. It was in walking distance to the Inner harbor as well. It's about 1 mile walk, on a straight road.
Actually, I think it would do just the opposite -- people would leave Baltimore in droves on weekends. I know I would -- and I don't have a car, so I'd definitely use the MARC.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:48 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times
I used to take Amtrak to DC and NY on the weekends. It's not the MARC, but the tickets are priced well enough to be worth it for a weekend trip. If you have AAA (which I have for the discounts mostly) you can book 3 days in advance and get money off of your trip. It costs about the same as a plane trip, but with almost no hassle. I think a trip to DC is like 30 dollars each way... I could be way off, but with Amtrak, you can also get a train back early in the morning. So you don't need the MARC to get out of Dodge on the weekends. I think the benefit of the MARC is that it's a little cheaper and it runs more often during "Rush" hour, but Amtrak definitely rocks for weekend trips. The trains are also very comfortable. And if you happen to have a car, I cannot rave about the parking garage at Penn Station enough. I love it. I am also paranoid, but I feel very safe coming home even in the wee hours on the train.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,859 times
Hi there,

This blog is most useful !

I'm moving to Baltimore near Penn Station and will be commuting back
to Union Station (DC) for work

Would I always have a seat on the MARC train both ways
(I plan to get on the train at Penn Station at 8:30AM and
come back from Union Station around 5:30PM)

Thanks!

Richard

Old 07-30-2009, 01:06 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchu1619 View Post
Hi there,

This blog is most useful !

I'm moving to Baltimore near Penn Station and will be commuting back
to Union Station (DC) for work

Would I always have a seat on the MARC train both ways
(I plan to get on the train at Penn Station at 8:30AM and
come back from Union Station around 5:30PM)

Thanks!

Richard
Not always, no. Especially coming back from DC -- there were a few days I had to stand on the train from DC to Baltimore. Finally I stopped taking the MARC and started getting a reserved seat on the Amtrak.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:16 PM

866 posts, read 2,627,856 times
I would say it depends on how early you get to the stations. Southbound MARC trains either originate in Perryville or Penn Station, and northbound MARC trains all originate at Union Station. So if you get to the station early enough (e.g., at least 7-10 minutes prior to departure), you should be able to get a seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore