Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:53 AM

5 posts, read 32,965 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm trying to escape the high DC cost of living, and I just love B'more. I've been looking at buying a house, and I've seen a few in the "Station North" area-near North Street on Guilford and Barkley. Great houses, affordable. I need to be near a MARC station, and I like Penn station because it also has the Amtrak (I'll be commuting to DC for work). A look at the crime map for that area is a little scary, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice about that area. I've also been looking in Pigtown.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 AM

22 posts, read 170,851 times
I think Guildford and Barclay run parallel to each other... but generally, personally I wouldn't live anywhere between those two streets in that vincinity of North Avenue unless you were way up near JHU, but everyone is up in arms about Station North being the next 'big' thing, but I wouldn't recommend it until it turns the corner so to speak, which I can't see happening any time soon.

I'd go with Pigtown over Station North.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:39 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigs817 View Post
I think Guildford and Barclay run parallel to each other... but generally, personally I wouldn't live anywhere between those two streets in that vincinity of North Avenue unless you were way up near JHU, but everyone is up in arms about Station North being the next 'big' thing, but I wouldn't recommend it until it turns the corner so to speak, which I can't see happening any time soon.

I'd go with Pigtown over Station North.
Agree. Pigtown is no "pig-nic" either, but I'd buy there before Station North.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 32,965 times
OK thanks. I should clarify that there are houses on both of those streets and the area is near the cemetary.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:09 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
I can't remember the name of the street, but there is one, either Barklay or Guilford--the first block off of North Avenue which is a great street.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:22 PM

22 posts, read 55,874 times
I would recommend renting in the area before you invest your money. That area isnt for everyone. And if you have a problem dont count on the police coming for 35 minutes, call the fire department instead.

Have you looked into Mt Vernon? Its alright its only a few blocks away from where you are looking. eager at Charles and st paul is nice, Preston is nice. Mt vernon sq is nice, but parking is insane especially when there is a festival or First Thursday concert in the park.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:12 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Agree. Pigtown is no "pig-nic" either, but I'd buy there before Station North.
"Pig-nic" -- that's fantastic.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:47 PM

31 posts, read 138,290 times
I've lived across from Penn Station for about six months, and agree with what's been said. Guilford is the edge of where I'd feel comfortable walking, much less living. It's funny what a difference a block makes. Calvert and south of North Ave. is fine, go one more block north or west and things change dramatically.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:58 AM

569 posts, read 1,442,092 times
My band practices in the Charles North Arts District, adjacent to the corner where the train station is located. From I-83 to St Paul Street, you're ok. The area is inhabited mostly by Art students from MICA. Anywhere east of St Paul and you're in the a hood referred to by the police as the "Greenmount-North Avenue Corridor." This is the murder epicenter of Baltimore of the East Side. Don't do it. You'll regret it. The flashing blue light cameras let you know that you've ventured too far east.

If you're looking for something close, then I recommend Charles Village, which is due north of the area.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:19 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,367 times
I use Calvert Street as my east/west dividing line. I work @ Calvert and Biddle, and I wouldn't go further east than where I am. Calvert Street is beautiful, but oh boy go a block over and it's a wasteland.

In fact, I came across this -- it's not far from where I work, but far enough that I don't have to be afraid of being at work:

A Sea of Blight: Biddle & Barclay Streets, East Baltimore « Baltimore Slumlords
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: