Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:39 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times

Advertisements

Also, I need to add this comment. When I first came to Baltimore, I was amazed that they picked up trash twice weekly. No city I have lived in thus far did that including Boston, Milwaukee, and Detroit. The problem with trash in the city is not the city's fault. I think they do a fine job. The problem is the city's citizens, many who do not have any concept of keeping the city clean. That includes folks tossing out their cigarette butts while driving along with their McD's lunches. It includes folks throwing bags in the alley without being in a can and everything else under the sun. This weekend, I watched a truck come by a sidestreet in the neighborhood, turning the corner and two mattresses come flying out the back. They take off leaving them in the middle of the street. Neighbors picked them up and put them in the alley. Not sure who did it but someone scooped them up yesterday and they're gone. Thank God we have many folks in town who go out of their way to pick up the crap that others just toss meaninglessly around, including myself.
On our block, we take turns sweeping the sidewalks and alleys. Someone has to do it. I sure wish folks would wake up and learn how to dump their belongings properly. I have learned long ago that this issue will not disappear and just deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 05:49 AM

While we are on this subject (Yes, it does bother me), I have written to both the East Baltimore Guide and the Baltimore Sun about the way they distribute their papers. They have hired folks who distribute their papers to every household in the area regardless of the status of the home. I know it is difficult to judge but if the home is obviously empty, why put a paper there (papers are also placed in plastic bags which annoy the hell out of me). I have asked them to remind the people who pass out their papers to use some discretion and not just place them everywhere. For example, here's a clue: If when you distribute the paper and you happen to see the last edition still sitting on the stoop, chances are they are not interested or not around to read the paper so don't leave another one.
Now I know that requires a higher level of thinking skill to conceive but I hope one day..... I won't go on.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:43 AM

22 posts, read 170,876 times
I moved in March 1 so I wasn't aware there was a Public works calendar... good to know now. I was in Locust Point over the weekend, and I guess folks who were also unaware of the non-pickup put their recyclables out, but didn't come home until Saturday after all the rain, found a soaked pile of recyclable materials. What a mess.

The city does need to reevaluate efficiency and the trash pickup since it hasn't been done in many many years and that may help, but it will ultimately fall on the residents of the respective neighborhoods to chip in and do something as they need it done.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:42 AM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Your neighborhood can reserve a dumpster via public works and they usually bring it out for several hours so that you can dump bulky items.. I am not sure if there is a cost (to the association) for providing this extra service... our neighborhood does it atleast once a month during the spring/fall. Of course, other neighborhoods or just some one driving by do take advantage and dump bulk items..furniture, metal etc

Old 04-14-2009, 07:10 PM

70 posts, read 485,245 times
1) Agree with jonjj - no other city has twice weekly pickup
2) Baltimore wouldn't need it if it's residents put out trash correctly and according to schedule
3) The best way to correct #2 is through education (as they've done with ads and mailings, monitoring - they are supposed to be hiring more inspectors, and citations which will be on their way.
4) The City just completed a comprehensive revamping of their pickup last year, including single stream recycling on all trash pick up dates
5) I like to complain as much as anyone, but sorry - the sanitation department does a great job considering the "trash" it has to deal with.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:50 AM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
My neighbor went to the public meeting where this issue was being discussed.. people were furious.. particuliarly those with alleys behind their homes. The main fear.. MORE RATS...more rats than even the pied piper of Hamlin...could handle. I do not think anyone was opposed to the container requirement but the one day a week may take some off guard in a city that is prone to a litter problem. I guess the meeting was an information meeting as opposed to an input meeting.. I got the impression from those who went that the decision was already a done deal.. so many felt they wasted their time? Definately the enforcement/fines will get people to pay attention, but my concern is if the City is prepared to catch those who dump illegally...and clean up after them. I know that many cities have one day a week collection also.. so I imagine its not that unusual

Old 04-16-2009, 08:36 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
While we are on this subject (Yes, it does bother me), I have written to both the East Baltimore Guide and the Baltimore Sun about the way they distribute their papers. They have hired folks who distribute their papers to every household in the area regardless of the status of the home. I know it is difficult to judge but if the home is obviously empty, why put a paper there (papers are also placed in plastic bags which annoy the hell out of me). I have asked them to remind the people who pass out their papers to use some discretion and not just place them everywhere. For example, here's a clue: If when you distribute the paper and you happen to see the last edition still sitting on the stoop, chances are they are not interested or not around to read the paper so don't leave another one.
Now I know that requires a higher level of thinking skill to conceive but I hope one day..... I won't go on.
Are you referring to the Sun Plus circulars, not the actual Sun paper? If so, I'm tired of those, too. Half the time they don't reach the stoop and end up on the sidewalk or in the gutter. I tried contacting the Sun to no avail. I would think it's a violation of the solicitation law that passed a couple of years ago, since the papers consist of nothing but advertising, but I don't know if that's true or how it would be enforced.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Guys, I can't believe Sheila Dixon decided to Not reduce the tax-rate, to help the Homeless instead of tax-paying citizens and now wants to reduce the tax collection days to one day a week. When will they put her in jail? I know the charges are trumped up, but I think she's insane and needs to be drummed out of office now. I also heard she wants to attract some of those poor innocent, insane, verbally abusive, public-pooping homeless people back to the park in front of city hall by planting fruits and vegetables for them, with our tax money. Grrrrr.

Anyway, I do have a point.

If you oppose the reduction in trash collection, pls contact your representative: Members of the Baltimore City Council
I'm not a Sheila supporter, but I think the one-day trash pickup is a great idea and I've got her back on this one. The city needs to cut spending and encourage recycling, and I think this will do both. Baltimore is one of the only cities of its size that has twice-weekly trash pickups, and there's absolutely no reason why anyone needs to put trash out more than once a week. In a 2-person household, I put out one bag, usually every other week and sometimes less frequently than that. Meanwhile my recycling is many times the volume of my trash.

Additional arrangements do need to be made for multi-unit houses, and I am concerned about the increased inspections because I often have trash placed behind my property that isn't mine, but with enough public notice and enforcement, I see nothing but positives.

I also like the idea of a vegetable garden in the middle of downtown. Much of the work involved is coming from volunteers, the seeds are being donated, and the final product will be donated to Our Daily Bread. What's not to like? I can't envision a lot of vagrants sitting in the park dining on swiss chard.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
Are you referring to the Sun Plus circulars, not the actual Sun paper? If so, I'm tired of those, too. Half the time they don't reach the stoop and end up on the sidewalk or in the gutter. I tried contacting the Sun to no avail. I would think it's a violation of the solicitation law that passed a couple of years ago, since the papers consist of nothing but advertising, but I don't know if that's true or how it would be enforced.

Yes. the Sun Plus. Drives me nuts

Old 04-21-2009, 10:21 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
I'm not a Sheila supporter, but I think the one-day trash pickup is a great idea and I've got her back on this one. The city needs to cut spending and encourage recycling, and I think this will do both. Baltimore is one of the only cities of its size that has twice-weekly trash pickups, and there's absolutely no reason why anyone needs to put trash out more than once a week. In a 2-person household, I put out one bag, usually every other week and sometimes less frequently than that. Meanwhile my recycling is many times the volume of my trash.

Additional arrangements do need to be made for multi-unit houses, and I am concerned about the increased inspections because I often have trash placed behind my property that isn't mine, but with enough public notice and enforcement, I see nothing but positives.

I also like the idea of a vegetable garden in the middle of downtown. Much of the work involved is coming from volunteers, the seeds are being donated, and the final product will be donated to Our Daily Bread. What's not to like? I can't envision a lot of vagrants sitting in the park dining on swiss chard.
How long have you lived in Baltimore? They'll probably be cr@pping on the swiss chard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore