Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2007, 02:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,663 times

Advertisements

I'm writing a screenplay set in Baltimore but have never been there. The main character lives in a rundown part of town (I've heard Herring Run, Gardenville and Sandtown-Winchester are a bit rough - true?). He works in a sheet metal factory (any ideas for a name of such a factory) and hangs out a lot at local diners and bars. If anyone lives in a rundown part of Baltimore, even the ones named above, and can give me names of any bars, diners, hangouts - plus the name of a mall and a high-school - that this character could be going to, that would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,647 times
Default ?

Aren't authors better off if they write about what they know? In order to write about Baltimore, I think it would be best to experience Baltimore first. Nobody will be able to explain to you what it is really like here. You need to experience it first-hand.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 PM
I95

62 posts, read 283,267 times
Seems like everyone these days wants Baltimore as the setting.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEnglish View Post
I'm writing a screenplay set in Baltimore but have never been there. The main character lives in a rundown part of town (I've heard Herring Run, Gardenville and Sandtown-Winchester are a bit rough - true?). He works in a sheet metal factory (any ideas for a name of such a factory) and hangs out a lot at local diners and bars. If anyone lives in a rundown part of Baltimore, even the ones named above, and can give me names of any bars, diners, hangouts - plus the name of a mall and a high-school - that this character could be going to, that would be great. Thanks.
I know about baltimore its where Im from and I was thinking about screenwriting about it.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:56 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times
Default Go for it!

People always write about places that they have never seen. It's the atmosphere that counts. For example, millions have formed their image of Casablanca on the basis of a movie script by six writers who never had been there. If you visited the real thing, you would be disappointed.
Then there are authors who actually know the place but fictionalize it. Read William Manchester's 1953 novel, The City of Anger. It's about Baltimore, even though the author never calls the city that. (Manchester, at the time, worked for The Sun and lived on Eutaw Place). A New York Times reviewer called the result "an open, bleeding slice of the U.S.A."

Last edited by barante; 12-09-2007 at 07:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: