Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:47 PM

34 posts, read 102,753 times

Advertisements

I like the pic of the overweight lady in front of the Uncle Ben's billboard.

Anyway, not bad on the rest of the pics, but your complaint about not receiving enough attention and praise about them was pretty annoying.

Your pics are representative of a fairly small part of the city close to the downtown area. However, just as an aside for non-Baltimorons, not all of Baltimore city is row houses. There are large sections of Baltimore City (albeit not too many in very close proximity to downtown) that have detached houses and other types of housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 05:26 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
Yes I'm glad you stated that. There are lots of areas of the city that have single family homes and trees and low crime. Maybe I'll take some pictures of those and post them. BTW I LOVE the pictures. It looks like Baltimore to me. I wish Graziano would re-instate the dollar house program...

Old 08-30-2009, 12:55 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,359 times
Great great photos, such a different-looking city from what I'm used to. Sooo many rowhouses, I've never seen any in person so they're strange to behold.... don't people like some light to come in through the sides of their homes??? I understand that Baltimore has a problem with decay and depopulation, maybe they should knock down every other home in order to focus on maintaining the supply of buildings that are needed, and also improve quality of like somewhat for the people inside of those places.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:25 PM

8,228 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Interesting photo of the ADA accessible liquor store 'Perry's Liquors' with the hardware store next door. There are alot of buildings that are not ADA compliant in the City simply because of their age.. I guess they are 'grandfathered" in some how? Perry wants to make sure that EVERYBODY can come get their liquor It does show one of the nice things about Baltimore neighborhood business districts.. one stop shopping at its finest.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:33 AM

45 posts, read 261,879 times
In 1969, when the US Army sent me my draft letter, I was disappointed to see that it did not begin with "Greetings" like all the comedians back then joked about when telling draft-days stories of their own. And I'm using "Greetings" here because you're drafted.

Greetings,

Dear Awesomo.2000,

Your are to haul-azz-I-mean-report back to Baltimore as soon as possible. Bring a complete set of your Inner City Baltimore photographs, including all outtakes, in as raw a file as you have, on a CD or whatever. And we're gonna find somebody in the city who will display a set of them in a public eatery or a gallery, then talk to some city guv'ment folks about these photos being permanently archived and also available for home and office decorations, studying by architecture students, movie set designers, and on and on.

These are the best straight on photographs of hard core, worst and best looking Baltimore buildings (for those sections of Balto.) that I have ever encountered. I do a lot of web browsing to see other photographers' web published works and I know what I'm talking about here.

To see my photography, it's best to web search for ursusdave + flickr.

You hit on Baltimore's infamous inner city streets when it was near as perfect as it ought'a be with the blessed sunlight from up above coming down blue and clear.

First off, when I started perusing y'ur pics, I noticed how well you composed each shot, with particular care about where it ended on all 4 sides, etc., then I noticed the house fronts and porches. So I'm trolling along down the page of your photos thinking, "Yeah, but they ain't done any shots of the really big porches up by..." and before I can remember the name of that neighborhood with the heftiest style porches there it is!!

You have manged to create a clear historical record of the bulk and backbone of those inner city Baltimore buildings' architecture -- for the date you took the shots.

For me, right now, the best part is not the lighting, or the historical values, or monetary values, or the content, it is that you composed just about every single frame the same way and from the same level and that is what I believe makes them an easy set of photographs to look at and maybe look at for a long time while studying Baltimore architecture for any reason.

My first trips through Baltimore City streets, that I can remember well, were to and from events at the Baltimore Civic Center and my home in Baltimore's Dundalk suburb. This was back during the early 1960s, and the first two Rolling Stone's shows at the Civic Center were my fav first times going downtown. Around the end of '65, I began to hang downtown all in and around the bustling Howard Street Corridor. And I bees a natu'le explorer. By New Years Eve 1967-68, my closest friends and I all knew just about every front, back and side street, alley, sidewalk, store, church, park and cool sight -- many architectural -- from just south of Baltimore Street and on up to 25th Street with about a maximum 5 block swath in any direction from Charles Street. The closer we got to the Bluesette Teen Club at 2439 N. Charles St., the less we veered of off Charles.

In those days, I rode the transit buses a lot, and have done quite a bit of it since, though rarely ever lately, fortunately. Fortunately, and sometimes unfortunately, I have looked out those bus windows onto inner city and downtown buildings for more hours than I care to recall. But there were always some houses and other buildings or certain features of them that I always enjoyed seeing.

In '72, after I was discharged from my US Army Photographer duties on Okinawa, I got a job delivering office furniture all over the greater Baltimore Metropolitan Area, for Lucas Bros.. Their warehouse was down on Monument St. somewheres near the high, mean, scary walls of the penitentiary. From that conveniently placed hub, on workdays, I drove out into the Baltimore morning with a truck filled full of big, heavy office furniture. And on the passenger side of the truck cab was my trusty truck helper and furniture moving Guru, Dave. Dave and me made a good day of it everyday all in and out and around and through just about every single neighborhood in Baltimore. Dave lived on Harlem Ave, and if you don't know the street it's a black neighborhood and rough like New York's Harlem. We stopped at his family's home there to eat our lunches a couple of times, when our delivery routes went near at the right time. I gleefully told Dave, the first time in -- I'm a white guy from the suburbs -- that, "Now I'm gonna be able to tell people for the rest of my life: What! Me! Afraid to go into bad black neighborhoods!? (now really faux indignant) Why! I've been to the ghetto for lunch."

That's not the only delivery job I had in 1970s Balto. City, and I lived there for a year up in the 1100 block of N. Calvert. Plus I visited friends in city apartments now and then. And lastly I drove a Balto. Co. cab that I had to take in and out of the east-side many-a-day and all nights on many nights in the 1987, '88, '89 days. I drove into the worst places in the inner city. All the while loving the adventure of it. I drove into the best places in the inner city, and was always happily appreciated by my passengers for the way I love to show out-of-town folks the cool stuff along the way; while telling them good stories that are popular in B-town plus it got juiced up with tales that only a few of us natives know well. And I liked hearing about their slice of the world too.

I'm one of them drivers who can travel along safe at good speeds but slow down just enough and focus in real good on cool roadside/street-side buildings, ladies, attractive trees and shrubberies and other plants, lawn decorations, and all them kind'a things. I know that your set of Baltimore photographs is as outstanding of a straight on selection of the widest and most comprehensive variety of city style front porches, roof lines, window designs, row home configurations, marble and other front steps, true colors and rampant dilapidations that there ever was.

If it ain't, it's close enough and still historically important and aesthetically attractive.

Oh yeah, and I read the words on your posting after looking at all the photos. You did that photo series in a little over 6-hours?! That floorrred me.

It can definitely make a good screen saver too. And just must be shown on a blog or other web site where and in a way that viewers can easily navigate, locate and view the sets of photos.

Baltimoreians will love to help you name the neighborhoods and maybe write little stories about certain exact spots they once called or still do call home.

Baltimorons-I-mean-Baltimoreians, both residents and expatriates, want to see and comment on your photographs of their hometown.

I want it. I want that photographed architecture and current Baltimore history for me to better and more easily see, study, and enjoy. Too.

I've got too many reasons and resources for living a lot longer. I've done about as much time in bad neighborhoods -- from my post adolescence girl kissing days on some of east side Highland Town's worst 1963 era streets up to a few trips to take a buddy's girlfriend and her mother home to the mighty, mighty west side, from here in Dundalk, a few times, about 5 years ago. I wanna live. I don't want to be shot. I don't wanna go back there to the ghetto no mo'.

Your photos, and similar ones of any other photographers' whom I might see, are just about all I need in my life from those rough sections of Baltimore anymore. You do know that you went into some sections where you should be paid combat pay for, don't ya'?!

Last edited by ursusdave; 09-01-2009 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: wordsmithing

Old 09-01-2009, 01:22 AM

posters

Old 09-01-2009, 01:23 AM

calenders

Old 09-01-2009, 01:27 AM

dang it. i wanted to go to bed hours ago. i got to get up early and fetch first of the month supplies, in the morning. oh well. i just discovered some wonderful baltimore photos today. that makes it worth it.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:30 AM

Pardon my rudeness.

I rudely forgot to thank you, Awesomo.2000, for sharing the photographs.

Thank you.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:10 PM

331 posts, read 1,197,853 times
I appreciate your photos. Thanks for taking the time to post them. They are very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore