U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 12:57 AM

7 posts, read 19,686 times

Advertisements

I am starting my MSW program in the fall at UMB and am looking for a place to live in Baltimore. I am moving up from a city out on the outskirts of Richmond and am not too familiar with Baltimore. I know that I don't have the money to live in the inner harbor area, and while I like Canton, Fed. Hill, and Fells Point, I would like to live somewhere near (safe) public transportation and I haven't heard about much in that area commuting to downtown. I was thinking Charles Village area, taking the JHU shuttle to Penn Station and commuting that way or by bus as some others had suggested, but now I am just reading posts about "smart people not choosing to live in Charles Village.." So basically, I am just struggling a little bit.

I want to live alone and would prefer to pay under $1000 a month (including utilities). I would prefer a safe area near public transportation or within walking distance of UMB. Additionally, I would like to be near other nightlife/restaurants/etc. But, obviously I am willing to sacrifice most things for safety and easy transportation access to school as I will be commuting most everyday.

Thanks in advance for all of the help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 08:19 AM

703 posts, read 2,739,644 times
Have you checked the school's apartment listing?

http://www.housing.umaryland.edu/local.cfm (broken link)

http://www.housing.umaryland.edu/ads/index.cfm (broken link)

I lived at Inner Harbor Loft Apartments (corner of Lombard and S. Paca) when I was at UMB and thought it was GREAT. It's is a quick one minute walk from the school (in fact I believe the school bought and managed this building since I left a few years ago).

Other good options:
1) The Greenehouse
2) Marlboro Classic
3) Redwood Square
4) Sail Cloth Factory
5) The Zenith
6) Inner Harbor Loft (as mentioned earlier)

All within a 2-5 minutes walking distance and all pretty safe.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:39 PM

757 posts, read 2,336,036 times
Have you looked at Mt. Vernon?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:56 PM

Thanks psychofan. I haven't looked at Mt. Vernon rudy. Is it nearby or close to public transportation? I am looking at trying to stay on a budget.. I would pay up to $900 a month with all utilities etc included, but I don't want to unless I have to.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:02 PM

Also, I've looked at most of the places mentioned by psycho and the rent is starting at $975+.. I am looking for rent at abut $650-800

Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 AM

Any other suggestions?

Old 05-29-2009, 06:57 AM

805 posts, read 1,904,957 times
Most new apartment complexes are going to be out of your budget so your best bet is to search craigslist.

Mount Vernon has public transportation.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:37 PM

31 posts, read 185,447 times
Default Who said smart people don't live in Charles Village?

It might not be to your liking, but there's nothing particularly wrong with Charles Village. Just make sure it's REALLY Charles Village. People listing real estate can get sort of loose with describing their rental's neighborhood .
And your plan to take the shuttle to Penn Station is easy and very do-able.

As for Mt. Vernon--very cool neighborhood also with public transportation and I would say, depending on what part you live in, could be walkable to UMB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: