Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 37,030 times

Advertisements

Are there city taxes apart from state income taxes withheld from your paycheck? Is it true for both Baltimore and Elicott City? Does anyone living in that area now know these tax rates?

thanks,
Septo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2006, 08:10 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,968 times
There are not separate city taxes in Maryland.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:05 PM

22 posts, read 196,579 times
Default Tax Man Cometh

Dear Septo:

Expect to pay some taxes. The taxes taken out of your paycheck are supposed to include the city and state income taxes, but it does not work perfectly. I spoke with the Comptroller's office to express my citizen concerns about this, since there does not seem to be a method in which an employer asks employees where they live, and then to adjust the local taxes. You may end up owing city income taxes, at least some part, when you complete your state tax income return. I am not a tax man, but I do know the taxes related to housing and that of localities. Property taxes in Baltimore are 2.308, Howard County are 1.044 (and a Columbia Association), and Baltimore County are 1.115. Before you go jump to Howard or Baltimore County to live, keep in mind that homes in many areas will be more expensive, plus the time and costs of commuting, outside the city. In terms of city income taxes, which are paid by your employer, or you pay what remains if unpaid, as a lump sum when you pay state taxes. Baltimore is .0305, Howard County is .0320, and Baltimore County is .0283. I hope your tax bill is not too high and that you find the better place to live, although there are certainly many other factors to look at.

Sincerely,
Richard McCollim

Old 07-17-2006, 08:46 PM

Default thanks

Thanks Mr Mccollim. I appreciate your explanation. Is that .032% of the income? or 3%? because that is quite comparable to Maryland state tax.

with regards,
Septo

Old 07-22-2006, 11:39 PM

9 posts, read 45,602 times
.032% (if I remember correctly). Before buying a house in Baltimore, decide if you like your car - the city puts little effort into keeping the roads in good condition and cars parked on city streets suffer much abuse from vandals and poor drivers. Much of the housing in Baltimore is extremely overpriced. On the other hand, the commute from Ellicott City takes much longer than you'd expect.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:48 PM

how are roads and crime in ellicott city?

Old 07-24-2006, 09:39 PM

9 posts, read 45,602 times
I'm not sure about the crime level but it is less than Baltimore by a lot. Houses will cost you a lot but it's fairly stable. Streets are good but mass transit is nearly nonexistent.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:32 PM

22 posts, read 196,579 times
Default Baltimore Tax

The Baltimore City tax is .0305, which is 3.05 percent, verified by Maryland's Comptroller.
Have you decided about Baltimore City or Ellicott City?

Old 12-09-2006, 07:03 AM

12 posts, read 169,224 times
Default Baltimore Taxes

Also consider taxes other than what is taken out in payroll. Baltimore City has a very high property tax rate which is $2.33 per $100 of assessed value. There is also a city tax on cell phone plans. Also consider that your tax dollars will not afford very good services in Baltimore City. I have friends that live out in Lutherville-Timonium (north of city) who have a house that worth four times that one I own in city and they pay the same amount of real estate taxes that I do.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:28 PM

33 posts, read 113,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanguy2821 View Post
Also consider taxes other than what is taken out in payroll. Baltimore City has a very high property tax rate which is $2.33 per $100 of assessed value. There is also a city tax on cell phone plans. Also consider that your tax dollars will not afford very good services in Baltimore City. I have friends that live out in Lutherville-Timonium (north of city) who have a house that worth four times that one I own in city and they pay the same amount of real estate taxes that I do.
agree totally. the city roads, schools, crime, and endless taxes are definitely something I did not think about when I purchased my home. I can see why 99% of my friends live in the county. The city is known for murders in two respects...Baltimore City has the highest murder rate per capita and they absolutely murder you with taxes.

And now you wonder why 2 wrong turns puts you in a seedy area. Ever notice how much difference 3 blocks makes in the city? The seedy areas (and this is the understatement of the year) in baltimore city greatly outweigh the "nice" areas.

Lets name the "nice" areas:
Fed Hill
Canton
Bolton Hill

Canton/Fells/Brewers Hill/Highlandtown/Patterson Park/Butcher's Hill are close to being nice, however, are still seedy. Sometimes I feel like I'm in another country when I'm around there, the hispanics have absolutely over run these areas, and I guarantee 90% are illegals.

Your taxes are paying for their children to go to school, hospital stays, HUD homes they stay in, and every other hand out they can get.

Do I sound bitter....WELL I SHOULD CUZ I AM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore