Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,119 times

Advertisements

It's not just the churches losing participation. Many Catholic schools seem to be putting less emphasis on academics than sports. Some have actually said they see athletics as a quick way to make news and they associate that with positive press. Bolstering attendance by getting good word-of-mouth publicity for good academic policies has been replaced, probably because good public schools and competing privates now have better academic opportunities.

But athletics don't work without academics. Towson Catholic, a basketball powerhouse went under because of that. The families it began attracting primarily relied on financial aid. When the bills came due they were unable to pay and the school was closed because the church refused to pick up the tab.

Archbishop Curley actually raised tuition, in part to fund sports scholarships primarily for inner-city kids. Unfortunately for the paying families they get saddled with higher tuition, less sports opportunities for their kids, and the kids now go to school with a bunch that don't seem to be there to learn.

The guy running Cardinal Gibbons left and he was instrumental in saving them from collapse a few years back. Rumor is St. Francis is having trouble collecting enough money to keep decent teachers. Write your own epitaph on Catholic schools.

I'm not sure Catholic schools know, understand, or care about their target constituency. And as for academics everybody should realize one Catholic school education does not necessarily equal another. Within each school they have programs for smart kids, average kids, and slow kids (which is where many of the athletes are shuffled to keep them eligible). You can be getting the same education, or even better, in a good public school at no cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:47 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,194 times
I will preface my post that I lack religion. I suppose you could call me an atheist but really I don't like being labeled. As I tell most who ask, I believe in myself and not a whole lot else.

Anyway I look at religion as I look at business. If the Church has failed to keep themselves relevant in these times, what is the reason to save it?

Old 02-24-2010, 12:44 PM

437 posts, read 1,071,353 times
Christian church membership in all denominations is on the decline but worldwide, the Catholic Church continues to grow.

Many of the instances cited of parishes closing come from a population moving out of older, traditional ethnic neighborhoods to other areas or locations.

Vatican stats: Catholic Church growing, especially in Asia, Africa - Catholic Online

Old 02-24-2010, 01:34 PM

15 posts, read 65,086 times
Default Catholic

If the Catholic church, or any church for that matter, had to pay taxes, particularly property taxes, we would have at most a handful of Catholic churches.

I stopped going to Catholic mass after high school. Now in my early 30s and only go now when visiting with my parents. I have lots of friends in Bmore who are also catholic but none of them go to church either.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:27 PM

9 posts, read 28,960 times
Any thoughts on the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen? I'm moving to Bmore this summer and I'm thinking of joining that parish (and choir). I'm coming from the Cathedral Basilica in St. Louis, and I'd like to find something similar.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:54 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times
Default The next generation

Catholic millennials: We're a complex bunch | National Catholic Reporter (http://ncronline.org/blogs/young-voices/catholic-millennials-were-complex-bunch - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore