Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:58 PM

2 posts, read 13,044 times

Advertisements

I've seen these homes in Elkridge and O.M. They look nice but their built by Ryan. Don't ever trust these guys. Good luck, you will need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 02:44 PM

23 posts, read 74,192 times
Default Ryan

The build quality of each community is dependent upon the project manager and the construction crew. I actually watched these units being built, and I assure you they are NOT worth anywhere near $300k. The area isn't that great. You'll notice the bus stop right outside the community, that's a bad sign. You will hear motorcycles running up and down Route-1 thanks to the Harley dealership right across the road. You will also hear ambulences throughout the night.

For the construction, these places were thrown up pretty quick. The common walls are just stud-construction, I did not see any concrete placed between the units. That means your walls are about as sound as they would be in an apartment.

Overall, Ryan is one of the cheaper builders, and they do tend to throw their houses up pretty quick. As such, you should expect some quality issues.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 26,418 times
Eden-Thanks for the information. I just purchased a home in Tanyard Springs in Glen Burnie and the process was great. The Sales Manager there was very nice and honest. The other staff there were also good to work with as well.

Before I bought, I drove around (like a soliciting salesman, but not really :-) ) and asked the neighbors who were out and about about their opinion on the neighborhood and home quality. Most of the reviews I received were good, but some mentioned some problems that the Project Manager took care of.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:21 AM

7 posts, read 71,499 times
I have no complaints to date. Throughout the process, the sales manager, construction manager, and NVR mortgage have been very helpful - providing weekly progress, keeping me informed of the next steps, and responding to any questions I have. I spoke with a few neighbors before signing on the dotted line and they also gave rave reviews. One had an interior unit and said he doesn't hear his neighbors and that the construction manager repaired drywall related to his townhome's foundation settling even after move in.

New construction wasn't my initial plan, but when I was finding 5-10 yr old homes nearby for $30-50K more I figured I might as well get what I want rather than paying more in the future for improvements if the previous owner did not keep the place up. I'll post any future issues, but regardless this is my first home and I don't plan to live here forever. I think it's a great place to start!

Old 11-06-2009, 05:11 AM

1 posts, read 6,279 times
Default No to rave reviews

I find it hard to believe that everyone you spoke to gave rave reviews. Maybe you have bought a home in an area with an unusually caring and responsible Ryan office. I work with someone who lives in the new Owings Mills Community and construction there is not good. My friend and many of his neighbors are having problems with their homes. If you really are a homeowner of a Ryan home, most likely, you will soon wish that you could retract your post.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:08 AM

22 posts, read 134,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp123 View Post
you might also wanna look at Jessup for the new Townhomes they built there (think that was ryland, though).
When I was looking at purchasing a new home in Maryland about 20 years ago a real estate agent told me the owners of Ryland and Ryan homes were brothers.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 39,730 times
Default Ryan Homes - Serious Problems

smallt,

Are you smallwonder67? By contract, I am not allowed to sell my home for two years. I just passed the one year mark. I also have water problems. Ryan led me to believe (for many months) that the repeated water intrusions were not serious. They were. I have mold. Currently, a mold remediation company is in my home. The level of deceit involved in this situation is almost incomprehensible.

Tracy

Old 12-13-2009, 04:49 PM

7 posts, read 71,499 times
Tracy0130, which community are you in?

Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 AM

6 posts, read 39,730 times
eden71,

I live in Park Place at Red Run Mills in Owings Mills, MD.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:12 PM

7 posts, read 24,220 times
Hi, I live in Elkridge crossing myself. I've had a slew of problems myself. Still have some problems.
Most were resolved but I've been living here for 1 year 9 months. It's past the 1 year inspection

warranty period. I've done alot of the fixes myself. My work is much better than the people who come

in to do the fixerups. First off, all homebuilders have problems...it's in how they handle the problems

that differentiates them. For the first year, i was "mostly" satisfied. My one big ISSUE is
a damn plumbing leak that continues to leak into my kitchen ceiling from a bathroom upstairs. I live in

the top 2 floors of one of the condo townhome units. Suffice it to say that they shrugged off the leak

problem cuz they couldn't find it (not that they bothered checking very hard). They just got the

drywall person to come in and replace a board and replaster. I ended up having to redo the plaster cuz

it flaked off when i tried to paint it...(did i mention i had to paint all the drywall fixes myself?

For the last inspection at least) since it's after the 1 year inspection, i expect i'll end up having to

pay out of my own pocket for the repairs....in discussions currently. Other problems are things like a

master bedroom door that won't close properly during half the year...after being fixed twice even. I

have had a mold problem due to a toilet leak...i really hope they fixed that one properly...even though

the guy fixing it punctured my ac tubing and they just taped it back together...and then theres the ac

design that was bad in general (contractor's words, not mine) ...someone came in to install scoops to

try and move the air to the right places. They did fix almost all my concerns though....just having

huge issues with that kitchen ceiling leak. ( my wife is P***ed!)

Oh and a fyi...yeah the sound insulation could've done with alot of work..but thats with ALL

homebuilders really. Anytime you live next to someone, it's unavoidable. I have buddies who live in

similar units from other builders and they're all the same. The only time you get great sound

insulation is if you do it yourself with the expensive stuff.

And about the concrete that they claimed to put down, they did actually put it down. I came in for an

inspection when it was being built and i saw them pouring the stuff. It's only on the floor layers

separating different units, so i only have it on my 3rd floor under the carpets. The sides are NOT

insulated. I still hear alot of what goes on to the side and downstairs. I expected that which was why

i got a corner unit.

Ryan homes isn't the best but i don't think they are the worst either. The project managers were good

but i think they're working within the constraints placed on them by corporate. I'll update about the

ceiling leak if i ever get some resolution on it...btw, talk to the contractors. they talk alot. The

ones that came to my place said that these buildings ALWAYS leak and that it was unavoidable.... All

you can do is hope you don't get a bad one thats difficult....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore