Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 39,730 times

Advertisements

elkhomeownr,

I am dealing with Ryan almost on a daily basis. They have made some concessions. I did write a letter to NVR within the one year. I have dotted all my is and crossed all my ts. I have fulfilled all my responsibilities. I know that I am covered. They still do not make it easy. Ryan has tried to make me believe I did not have rights. They attempted to have me sign my rights away in order to have them fix problems for which they were responsible. Still some problems remain. I have been speaking with someone at the Maryland Attorney General's Office. I will be filing a complaint. The AGO will make Ryan fix the problems. The contact at the AGO had mentioned to me that there is also an implied warranty, so even if you are past the one year, you may still be able to get the fixes you deserve.

If Ryan did not fix the leak going into your kitchen properly(especially if the leak occurred in the first year), I think they are responsible for making the proper repairs. You should not have to pay to have this fixed. They should cover the mold removal as well (I made them).

As for the concrete, I was told that there is not a concrete slab, and that I was misinformed prior to purchasing. Are you sure you saw concrete? Maybe, it was some other material.

My home is beautiful to the eye, but the problems and the battle to get them resolved have been quite ugly.

Best of Luck,

Tracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 PM

7 posts, read 24,220 times
Tracy,

Still working on the ceiling leak. Bad time of year maybe. I can't even reach anyone right now. Evaluating right now whether the time i will waste dealing with them is
worth the money just to get it fixed myself right now..... sorta ridiculous.
I'm hoping i won't have to resort to threats. It sounds like you spent ALOT of time dealing with
your issues. I already spent more time than i wanted to in the first year. I've ignored alot of the more minor problems that i'm capable of doing myself. (yet to do them though)

Also, what they poured onto the floor surface looked like concrete but i could have been mistaken.
I do remember the project manager saying it was to muffle the sound between the homes though.
I would say it was a half inch to 1 inch thick whatever they poured on.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:21 AM

6 posts, read 39,730 times
Default Ryan Homes Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhomeownr View Post
Tracy,

Still working on the ceiling leak. Bad time of year maybe. I can't even reach anyone right now. Evaluating right now whether the time i will waste dealing with them is
worth the money just to get it fixed myself right now..... sorta ridiculous.
I'm hoping i won't have to resort to threats. It sounds like you spent ALOT of time dealing with
your issues. I already spent more time than i wanted to in the first year. I've ignored alot of the more minor problems that i'm capable of doing myself. (yet to do them though)

Also, what they poured onto the floor surface looked like concrete but i could have been mistaken.
I do remember the project manager saying it was to muffle the sound between the homes though.
I would say it was a half inch to 1 inch thick whatever they poured on.

Elkhomeownr,

You should try to contact the corporate office. Also, I have been dealing with the Regional Manager( I have refused to deal with my local Ryan V.P.). I believe he is out of an office close to Elkridge. If you would like, I can give you more info., but I do not think I am allowed to do so publicly. You are welcome to send me a private message.

I believe they poured gypsum. That is what the project manager told me. I called an independent contractor and he told me that gypsum or gypsum board is nothing more than drywall.

If you have extensive mold and/or a serious water issue, I think it would be a good idea to have Ryan take responsibility. It isn't a bad time of year. They are ignoring you in the hopes that you will go away. I hope that you continue to seek the fixes you deserve, but you will have to weigh the pros and cons.

I have had so many problems with my home, some that I have yet to mention on this site, that I cannot imagine a time that I will give up the battle.

Tracy

Old 01-06-2010, 01:01 PM

205 posts, read 824,217 times
Elkhomeownr,

Have you ever toured houses for sale in New Colony Village? When I was house hunting I took a look at some of them. Every one had the leak above the kitchen. Some looked like they were repaired while others had that ugly discoloration that was cropped out of MLS photos. It seems to be a systemic problem. Whoever is doing plumbing for Ryan keeps making the same mistakes in that area. I don't know if you've checked with neighbors, but you might be surprised to find how common that problem is in your area. It might help you in your battle with Ryan or if you have to get the state involved.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:56 PM

7 posts, read 24,220 times
update:
Good news and bad news.
The leak that ate threw my ceiling wasn't plumbing. Apparently it was the AC/Heating system's pipes that were primed but never actually glued together.

They never caught it the first time they redid the drywall because it was seasonal, iow only leaked when i used heat or alot of AC. Took 3 different apptments with 3 diff service peeps but they finally finished painting a couple hrs ago. (alot of phone calls)
That was the good news.

Bad news. Service peeps shrugged off the seasonal discoloration i've been getting in my bathroom drywalls. It looks like permanent shadow spots that comes and goes. I get the feeling its the AC/Heat piping as well but it hasn't eating through because I think its on the walls and not ceiling. They said they can't do anything without any really conclusive damage. I think they were hinting that it was up to me to knock out the drywall to check....
If it wasn't a leak then i'd be responsible for the repairs for the drywall of course :P
Undecided on what to do. I'd wait until it ate through but i'm worried about more mold.

Alot of calls and runaround but they gave me no argument about fixing the ceiling. Prob because it was something supposedly fixed in the 1 year inspection.
I'll give them props for that at least.

Off to lowes right now to pick up some materials to fix my front door (big gap at top).
And a new wood frame for my bedroom door which won't close properly...they fixed it twice already
but it's still not right. (doing it myself as well)
Don't want to take another day off when it's easier to do it myself. That ceiling leak cost me 3 days
i had to take off.

To BigDragon:

The drywall guy is going back to a previous job he had today to tell another lady who's been having the same problem (same unit type) but hasn't figured out what it was yet that she prob has the same issue i did .
On another note, it really does seem that identical style units seem to develop the same problems.
The service guy said that it's alot of the same issues in each of the same units.
And he did say that he works for alot of different builders and that it's really the same with
ALL the builders now because they all build using contractors doing piecemeal work and not by the
hour.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,211 times
Exclamation Elkridge Crossing Has Issues

Elkridge Crossing has problems --- [url=http://www.elkridgecrossing.com]Make an Informed Decisions About Buying in the Elkridge Crossing Community![/url]

The developer and the builder have issues.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM

30 posts, read 257,064 times
Really sad that people think hundreds to thousands of complaints, which is only a fraction of people since most just keep quiet and sell, are natural occurrences for high volume construction. I drive a lot of miles, but if I hit a statistically insignificant amount of pedestrians, does that mean they don't matter? Yes I am a victim of this company's statistically acceptable disasters. Had a website Ryan Homes Nightmares for ten + years and got thousand of complaints, hundreds of real complaints posted about additional nightmares. Of course, had I been a satisfied customer, or benefited from NVR in any way, my opinions would be unbiased. Being a victim of blatant indisputable documented negligence from Ryan Homes makes me simply biased and dismissible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore