Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,629 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I will be moving to Baltimore in the fall to start grad school at the University of Maryland (UMB). I have found another girl in my program who I will be living with, and the two of us are looking for nice apartments that are preferably walkable to campus or a shuttle stop. Unfortunately I am not able to visit to try to find an apartment but my roommate visited Park Charles and Avalon Centerpoint. It is really hard for me to gauge either apartment from the website, and ratings of both places online are pretty mediocre. I'm hoping someone has input which can help me make a decision. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 02:42 PM
E18

8 posts, read 42,737 times
FYI: //www.city-data.com/forum/balti...nterpoint.html

I was recently looking at apartments in Baltimore and was explicitly told "NO!!!" about the area where Avalon is located. (I am also a young woman with a woman roommate.) We ended up picking Symphony Center. We haven't moved in yet, but it seemed really nice when we visited.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:28 AM

703 posts, read 2,933,218 times
If you'll be walking to class, then living in Park Charles will require you to walk through the area where the Avalon Centerpoint is located anyway for whatever it's worth. Additionally, the Avalon Centerpoint complex is a very new development, while Park Charles is substantially older (did not like it at all when I visited it). A drawback to an Avalon complex is that they require a large one-time "amenities fee" payment at leasing signing of $400 (at least here in Mont. Co., but not sure about in Baltimore) that they do NOT advertise and only tell you when you specifically ask or at lease signing.

Have you considered apartment complexes closer to campus like the Sail Cloth Factory, Greenehouse, Camden Court (very new), Marlboro Classic and Redwood Square, The Redwood? These are much closer. I personally lived at Inner Harbor Loft when I was a student at UMB and loved it. And knew someone at Marlboro Classic & Redwood Square and they loved it as well.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,543,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E18 View Post
FYI: //www.city-data.com/forum/balti...nterpoint.html

I was recently looking at apartments in Baltimore and was explicitly told "NO!!!" about the area where Avalon is located. (I am also a young woman with a woman roommate.) We ended up picking Symphony Center. We haven't moved in yet, but it seemed really nice when we visited.
The Avalon Centerpoint is fine.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,629 times
Awesome, thank you so much for the recommendations!! Any other suggestions of apartment complexes?

Old 07-21-2009, 04:17 PM

4 posts, read 8,035 times
Avalon Centerpoint is nice inside but it's located really close to Lexington Market and sometimes there are a few unsavory characters hanging around on Howard Street. I don't know anything about Park Charles. There's the Greenehouse, located on the corner of Greene and Pratt, 2 bedroom apartments start at $1500. There's also 39 West Lexington, Marlboro Class and Redwood Square, the Sail Cloth Factory Apartments, etc.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:08 PM

12 posts, read 10,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck14 View Post
Avalon Centerpoint is nice inside but it's located really close to Lexington Market and sometimes there are a few unsavory characters hanging around on Howard Street. I don't know anything about Park Charles. There's the Greenehouse, located on the corner of Greene and Pratt, 2 bedroom apartments start at $1500. There's also 39 West Lexington, Marlboro Class and Redwood Square, the Sail Cloth Factory Apartments, etc.
OK wait a minute. A FEW unsavory characters in the area of Lexington Market? Be honest with people, c'mon. Virtually everyone within shooting distance of Lex Mark is unsavory.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:07 PM

703 posts, read 2,933,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborview11 View Post
OK wait a minute. A FEW unsavory characters in the area of Lexington Market? Be honest with people, c'mon. Virtually everyone within shooting distance of Lex Mark is unsavory.
Horrible statement. I actually liked walking up to Lexington Market to grab a lunch between classes and occasionally for dinner and fresh seafood. Never had a problem whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore