Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,700 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will be a 1st year grad student (22 year old female) at the University of Maryland (UMB) School of Medicine this fall and am looking for a relatively safe neighborhood to call home. From what I've read, no one neighborhood is safe, but neighborhoods like Federal Hill, Fells Point, Canton, etc. have come up as the safer areas. However, I don't think I have the money to live near the harbor.. I'd probably have around $650 for an apartment or house to share.

I visited the school and a few places, like Ridgely's Delight (seemed kind of small with not a lot around) and the Inner Harbor, but didn't get a chance to take a look at the above mentioned neighborhoods. I plan to make another trip down to see potential apartments/houses. Maybe you can help me out, as previous posts were kind of all over the place.

I'm looking for a safe (as safe as it can get in Baltimore) neighborhood close to the school.. less than 10-15 min. drive, or if walkable, that would be even better (as long as it'd be okay to walk to and from the school), or close to public transportation. I'd also like to be within walking distance to bars/nightlife (eh I'm still young), but not a huge deal as safety comes first. I'm also looking for nearby places to run or somewhere close to a park. I've read that Mt. Vernon may be a nice place to live, but how far away is that from the school and is it walkable to the harbor?

I'm moving from NH, so I'm definitely not used to city life and the crime that comes along with it, but I also don't lack the street smarts, ie walking by yourself at night, keeping car doors unlocked. Like others new to Baltimore, I am concerned about the crime, drugs, etc. When I visited, I didn't not feel safe walking around the day time as I had my parents with me, but I also had some older lady try to sell us drugs while on the campus.. Other than that, I'm really looking forward to moving to Baltimore! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 11:27 PM

20 posts, read 93,960 times
I'm also a new student next year at UMB (in the Social Work program), and just completed the whole housing search thing myself, so I think I can give you a few ideas. Mt. Vernon is very nice, and walkable on a nice day to the school (about 20 minutes). It's very safe, lots of restaurants and nice looking bars, seems like a real nice place to live. My girlfriend will be living there next year, so I hope to get to know it better. It's very pretty, if nothing else. I'm living next year in the Remington neighborhood, which is in between Charles Village and Hampden. Any of those areas are nice places to live for the younger folk, and relatively affordable (it seems Charles Village moreso than Hampden). They're near Johns Hopkins, so the residents definitely seem to be on the younger, hipper side of things. All of those neighborhoods are about a 10 minute drive to campus, and about a 15-20 minute bus ride. I'm no expert on any of these places, but that's what I've found in my housing search, and in the 4 years I spent at nearby Goucher College in Towson, MD. Hope this helps!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:31 PM

703 posts, read 2,933,446 times
Check out the "Owner Rented Properties" section on the UMB Housing webpage

UMB Residence Life (http://www.housing.umaryland.edu/ads/index.cfm - broken link)

Old 07-07-2009, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,700 times
Thanks for the helpful info.

Does anyone know about the apartments at The McDowell Building at 341 N Charles St. in Downtown/Mt. Vernon? Is that a safe area? I found a listing for $1400 for 2 BR/2 BA with first month's rent free.

Also: how about The Campus Square Apartments at 2700 N Charles St. in Charles Village? I think these were a little cheaper than the one above.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:13 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,545,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTimes View Post
Thanks for the helpful info.

Does anyone know about the apartments at The McDowell Building at 341 N Charles St. in Downtown/Mt. Vernon? Is that a safe area? I found a listing for $1400 for 2 BR/2 BA with first month's rent free.

Also: how about The Campus Square Apartments at 2700 N Charles St. in Charles Village? I think these were a little cheaper than the one above.

Both are good options.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:01 PM

12 posts, read 10,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTimes View Post
Hi all,

I will be a 1st year grad student (22 year old female) at the University of Maryland (UMB) School of Medicine this fall and am looking for a relatively safe neighborhood to call home. From what I've read, no one neighborhood is safe, but neighborhoods like Federal Hill, Fells Point, Canton, etc. have come up as the safer areas. However, I don't think I have the money to live near the harbor.. I'd probably have around $650 for an apartment or house to share.

I visited the school and a few places, like Ridgely's Delight (seemed kind of small with not a lot around) and the Inner Harbor, but didn't get a chance to take a look at the above mentioned neighborhoods. I plan to make another trip down to see potential apartments/houses. Maybe you can help me out, as previous posts were kind of all over the place.

I'm looking for a safe (as safe as it can get in Baltimore) neighborhood close to the school.. less than 10-15 min. drive, or if walkable, that would be even better (as long as it'd be okay to walk to and from the school), or close to public transportation. I'd also like to be within walking distance to bars/nightlife (eh I'm still young), but not a huge deal as safety comes first. I'm also looking for nearby places to run or somewhere close to a park. I've read that Mt. Vernon may be a nice place to live, but how far away is that from the school and is it walkable to the harbor?

I'm moving from NH, so I'm definitely not used to city life and the crime that comes along with it, but I also don't lack the street smarts, ie walking by yourself at night, keeping car doors unlocked. Like others new to Baltimore, I am concerned about the crime, drugs, etc. When I visited, I didn't not feel safe walking around the day time as I had my parents with me, but I also had some older lady try to sell us drugs while on the campus.. Other than that, I'm really looking forward to moving to Baltimore! Thanks in advance!
Other than fearing for your personal safety-you are looking forward to moving to Baltimore? What is it exactly your are looking forward to? For me, personal safety pretty much trumps everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore