Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,029 times

Advertisements

hi there!

i am moving to baltimore in about 2 weeks to attend nursing school at jhu. i will be living in a row house in charles village about 2 blocks south from the homewood jhu campus. i plan on taking the jhu shuttle to commute to the medical campus for classes, etc.

do i really need to have a car in the city? i imagine i could get around by public transportation, taxis, etc. i am most concerned about parking. i don't want to take my car there and have no where to put it!

is this area a "safe" place to live?

any help/advice would be appreciated!

-mj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:27 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,552,292 times
Short answer: no.
Unless you want to be a gad-a-bout in suburbia. I live in Patterson Park. Walked to the subway. Caught the metro to Artscape. Took the Light Rail back downtown and the water taxi back to my home. Perfectly fine day-car free.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:39 AM

23 posts, read 62,396 times
agreed. I live in pigstown and having a bike makes getting to the harbor/fed/fells a breeze. I use the lightrail when I need to go north or to the airport.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:11 PM

13 posts, read 64,582 times
I think that the correct answer is that it depends upon how you feel about the tradeoff between time and money. As previous posters have attested, it can be done. However, I would temper their comments by stating that taking combinations of bus/light rail/metro/water taxi (which is only offered during the spring and summer) will likely get old if you find yourself becoming incredibly busy with work and social stuff, because your commute times will almost always be higher than commuting on your own by car and you also will probably want to go do shopping in the suburbs every once in awhile. Also, this is not a bike-friendly city overall and you will undoubtedly have some potentially dangerous moments here and there.

Of course, you could settle the issue like a JHU nursing friend of mine did by finding a boyfriend who drives a convertible.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:39 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,552,292 times
Ed Kane's Water Taxi (http://www.thewatertaxi.com/schedule.html - broken link)

The water taxi runs all year with the exception of the Fort McHenry stop.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:24 AM

12 posts, read 10,821 times
Take the bus! he he he

Old 07-21-2009, 03:12 PM

4 posts, read 8,044 times
If you're up in Charles Village you'd have to take a bus south down Charles Street to transfer to the light rail or subway. I don't have a car and it can be a little inconvenient depending on where you want to go. There are a few good restaurants, a couple grocery stores, drug stores, etc. that would be within walking distance.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:40 PM

689 posts, read 3,206,730 times
I don't have a car, and I take the bus or light rain (or walk) everywhere. Yes, it can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but at least I don't have to worry about insurance, break-ins, theft, etc.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:15 PM

12 posts, read 10,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolott View Post
I don't have a car, and I take the bus or light rain (or walk) everywhere. Yes, it can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but at least I don't have to worry about insurance, break-ins, theft, etc.
Break-ins, thefts...what?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:01 PM

757 posts, read 2,545,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerblue20 View Post
I think that the correct answer is that it depends upon how you feel about the tradeoff between time and money. As previous posters have attested, it can be done. However, I would temper their comments by stating that taking combinations of bus/light rail/metro/water taxi (which is only offered during the spring and summer) will likely get old if you find yourself becoming incredibly busy with work and social stuff, because your commute times will almost always be higher than commuting on your own by car and you also will probably want to go do shopping in the suburbs every once in awhile. Also, this is not a bike-friendly city overall and you will undoubtedly have some potentially dangerous moments here and there.
That sums it up pretty well. I have a car that I drive very infrequently because I almost always take public transportation during the week or cabs when going out on weekends. However, there are occasions when I'm glad to have a car because of the time savings. At the same time I cringe every time I pay a huge insurance bill for a parked car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore