Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 AM

7 posts, read 100,489 times

Advertisements

Hello! My daughter was living in a row house and Friday rented a truck to move to another city for graduate school. She got a parking ticket for having a commercial vehicle parked for more than one hour, but the city code says that for personal business for a resident, it is legal to park such a truck.

She is gone, so if I contest this, I will have to go to court, and I have no idea how likely I am to win - I think I have a valid case, but then there are court costs, plus my time and taking a day off work, etc.

Does anyone have experience with Baltimore traffic court and whether or not I should just pay the ticket and be done with it?

What kills me is that it takes two weeks for them to upload info on a parking ticket so I cannot even view it online or pay online, since it must be paid before the two weeks are up - or there are late fees assessed!

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 12:21 PM

569 posts, read 1,442,092 times
That's one of the many ways how the corrupt Baltimore government makes it's money. They make it more trouble than it's worth than to just pay the ticket and be done with it.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
That's one of the many ways how the corrupt Baltimore government makes it's money. They make it more trouble than it's worth than to just pay the ticket and be done with it.
Sigh. Yeah, that is what I figured. Thanks for your response!

You know, they are cutting off their nose to spite their face. I will certainly not go to Baltimore, as a tourist or anything else, and will not recommend the place to my friends or family. Their loss of tourist income.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:45 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat12345 View Post
Sigh. Yeah, that is what I figured. Thanks for your response!

You know, they are cutting off their nose to spite their face. I will certainly not go to Baltimore, as a tourist or anything else, and will not recommend the place to my friends or family. Their loss of tourist income.

This response to a parking ticket? Eek! Anyway, the one time I got a ticket in Baltimore, I went to court and didn't have to pay the fine. It took about an hour out of my day.

By the way, for those of you who don't venture to far into a city, tickets are pretty common throughout the world.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
This response to a parking ticket? Eek! Anyway, the one time I got a ticket in Baltimore, I went to court and didn't have to pay the fine. It took about an hour out of my day.

By the way, for those of you who don't venture to far into a city, tickets are pretty common throughout the world.
What were your court costs? How much did you have to pay to park? I am truly curious, because I chose not to contest the ticket my daughter got, and frankly the numerous calls I made beforehand to try and get some basic information, like what the court costs would bet, etc, were met with "We don't have the information in this office (and they could not tell me which office did)" and "we can't access any online information about your ticket until 2 weeks after it is issued," which was after the due date for paying it.

Can you really blame me for being annoyed? The could set the due date at one month after receiving the ticket, so that people could get information before making an informed choice about contesting or not. And, they could make that information available online, so that people can find it.

The current system favors the city, makes the presumption of guilt on the motorist, and gives you little to no recourse for appealing unless you can take time off work and live nearby. Then, you pay court costs, whether you are found guilty or not. So, they still get their money!

So, I ask again, what were your court costs? Thanks for any info you provide, which is better than the City of Baltimore.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:41 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
I didn't pay court costs. The ticket was found to be invalid.

I can't blame you for being annoyed but frankly, government beauracracy happens all over, not just the city of Baltimore.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I didn't pay court costs. The ticket was found to be invalid.

I can't blame you for being annoyed but frankly, government beauracracy happens all over, not just the city of Baltimore.
As I well know, since I work for the federal government. And, I certainly understand the fiscal crisis all local governments are facing, but after reading the thread about the collection efforts for tickets from 2002 - some of which now have late fees in the thousands, and reading in the past about red light cameras in Baltimore where the yellow short cycled so it went almost instantaneously from green to red, it just seems that they are going out of their way to stick it to the motorist - and thus balance their budget.

I have little patience with entrapment and injustice is all.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:38 PM

15 posts, read 65,089 times
Default 95% of tickets thrown out at court

TICKET TOSSING - City losing millions as judges toss out parking citations

This article says that 95% of parking tickets were tossed out by the judge when contested in court in 2008.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw22 View Post
TICKET TOSSING - City losing millions as judges toss out parking citations

This article says that 95% of parking tickets were tossed out by the judge when contested in court in 2008.
Sigh. So I should have contested it. I wish I had seen this article before I paid it. Oh well, maybe someone else will read this thread and know to contest their unjust ticket. I'll consider it my good deed for the day.

Thanks for the article link!

Old 10-21-2011, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 16,815 times
I went to Inner Harbor on Oct 9th, I have paid parking fee but I have received a parking ticket as the ticket got out of the dashboard.(not displayed properly). When i called the number given on the ticket they told to appeal for trial and only a court judge can dismiss the ticket and they don't have information about the ticket. Will the ticket be dismissed if we meet the police officer and show the Parking fee receipt? ..I didn't think if that is possible and I have sent the check through certified mail and USPS site shows it's not yet been delivered yet as there was no authorised person to receive the mail. ..and Oct 24th is last day to pay the fine. It's all really mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore