Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 01:24 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
Has anyone consulted Hunky Saurhoff about this?
That's so funny -- I was just sitting in Sid's Tavern last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 16,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
Has anyone consulted Hunky Saurhoff about this?
Hunky and i grew up on mchenry st,is he still around pigtown? Where does he hang out.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:32 AM

3 posts, read 11,011 times
Hello all I have read most of the post about Pigtown which i am considering moving to by Carroll park (Carroll Street, Ward Street) area I would like to if anyone has any views on that area as far as anything goes I am from South Baltimore (Cherry Hill, Westport) area. So I would like to know what anyone has to say about the area that I am looking into.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,673 times
Default Living in Pigtown

I've been renting for the past year and am closing on a house on Sargeant St this week. My roommate and I are female and, other than a few laughable encounters with prostitutes, we have had no problems. We can't take a run in the neighborhood without a few catcalls, which is more humorous than annoying but I've never felt unsafe. The house I bought is brand spanking new and at least twice as big as anything in fed hill that I could have gotten for the exact same price. Personally, I think paying more rent or more purchase money for a smaller, older house in Canton or Federal Hill just doesn't make sense and I'm glad to catch a neighborhood that is starting to get better.

I think one poster said something about being afraid to walk around (an older post). My roommate and I walk to Camden yards from Carroll Park and back AT NIGHT when the game is over, and we are fine.

I'm not sure what qualifies as ghetto and what kind of person would even use that terminology, but calling Pigtown ghetto is pretty ridiculous, at least in this day and age.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:29 AM

156 posts, read 787,030 times
Default On the loose?

May, 2008- A man died yesterday evening at a downtown hospital of injuries he suffered in an altercation on a Washington Village street, city police said.

The man's identity was being withheld pending notification of family members, police said. No arrest had been made, and details were not immediately available.

Shortly before 5 p.m., Southern District police and city Fire Department medics were dispatched to the 1200 block of James St., near Ostend Street, where they found a man bleeding heavily from a stab or a slashing wound to his throat, police said. They said they did not know what kind of weapon was used.

The man was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he died a short time later, police said.

Was this perp ever caught?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 AM

689 posts, read 3,215,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnewaggs View Post
I've been renting for the past year and am closing on a house on Sargeant St this week. My roommate and I are female and, other than a few laughable encounters with prostitutes, we have had no problems. We can't take a run in the neighborhood without a few catcalls, which is more humorous than annoying but I've never felt unsafe. The house I bought is brand spanking new and at least twice as big as anything in fed hill that I could have gotten for the exact same price. Personally, I think paying more rent or more purchase money for a smaller, older house in Canton or Federal Hill just doesn't make sense and I'm glad to catch a neighborhood that is starting to get better.

I think one poster said something about being afraid to walk around (an older post). My roommate and I walk to Camden yards from Carroll Park and back AT NIGHT when the game is over, and we are fine.

I'm not sure what qualifies as ghetto and what kind of person would even use that terminology, but calling Pigtown ghetto is pretty ridiculous, at least in this day and age.
Hey congrats on the house!! Good to know you're staying in the neighborhood.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolott View Post
Hey congrats on the house!! Good to know you're staying in the neighborhood.
Oh yeah, congrats on the house.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimore's best View Post
May, 2008- A man died yesterday evening at a downtown hospital of injuries he suffered in an altercation on a Washington Village street, city police said.

The man's identity was being withheld pending notification of family members, police said. No arrest had been made, and details were not immediately available.

Shortly before 5 p.m., Southern District police and city Fire Department medics were dispatched to the 1200 block of James St., near Ostend Street, where they found a man bleeding heavily from a stab or a slashing wound to his throat, police said. They said they did not know what kind of weapon was used.

The man was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he died a short time later, police said.

Was this perp ever caught?
Guess not...

Old 10-18-2008, 07:10 PM

9 posts, read 28,089 times
Quick question to the locals. Is the real estate market in Pigtown slowing to a crawl? I was looking at some potential homes to move into and there is a large number of rehabbed houses (many of which seem to be abandoned at about 70-90% finished).

Also, asking prices seem a bit unrealistic given the overall... demeanor of the current state of the neighborhood combined with the mounting national collapse of the housing market.

Just wondering if there is still development in the neighborhood or if things have all but shut down.

Thanks,
--Nick

Old 10-19-2008, 04:09 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Real estate has slowed down considerably but it still continues. I am not sure of Pigtown but in my neighborhood of Patterson Park, there are at least 8 rehabs being worked on right now within about three blocks of me. Speaking to the folks doing the work, they are telling me that if there homes don't sell when finished, they will rent them out.
With the economy, renting has become a more popular option for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore