Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Hello forum!

As some of you may know I'm a native of Northeastern PA who has relocated this year to Fairfax County, VA. It has been roughly a decade since I've been to Baltimore, and I feel as if I'm LONG overdue for a return visit. Some of my co-workers were very receptive when I pitched the idea of scoping out Inner Harbor and the aquarium next weekend, so that may be a possibility. I've also read in the Washingtonian about some really cool and funky antiques district that I know my one eccentric friend will most certainly love. Other than that though I'm very unfamiliar with the city.

What are some things you'd suggest someone do for a day-trip in the city BESIDES Inner Harbor? What are the most "hood rat"-oriented parts of the city so I can plan out which street boundary areas to avoid, as I do tend to saunter around with my camera a bit too much? What are some great local places to eat---specifically I'm cravin' me a crab cake or two (and if you say Legal Seafoods or Red Lobster I'm gonna give y'all a good smack!) As someone with a strong love of historic architecture, especially Victorians and rowhomes, what are some must-see areas? What's the best way to get to Baltimore from Fairfax County? Should I drive in and then try to find street parking downtown or should I take Amtrak from DC to Baltimore?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 PM

181 posts, read 633,626 times
Scran---I recommend you avoid the Inner Harbor and the so-called glitz of that tourist trap. I think you would really like to walk along the business stretch of 36th Street in Hampden (locals, for historical reasons call it the Avenue). It's kinda funky with a couple coffee shops, a new wine bar (with food, but no crabcakes), a bunch of antique shops, and rowhouse and hipsters nearby. A couple good hipster bars are Rocket to Venus and the Diz. Hampden has a lot of rowhouses and nearby is Victorian Roland Park.
If you are into the Arts, the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) typically has works available for free, open to the public in its 5 main buildings along Mt. Royal Avenue. Victorian/rowhouses are in the neighborhood. Mind your camera after dark, though. And Baltimore, is home to 2 world-class art museums, the Walters Art Gallery, and the Baltimore Museum of Art.

Amtrak is usually recommended, but it will greatly limit your ability to move around; a car is needed to get to the places I'm recommending.

Most decent restaurants have crabcakes on the menu, but they all have their own way of makin' em. Try Duda's in Fells Point to eat, or Jimmy's or the Captain James. And have your camera ready there: they're all close to the waterfront and old buildings.
If you're a history buff, Fort McHenry is the place to go.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:10 AM

810 posts, read 2,161,599 times
definitely try mt vernon a very short walk from penn station if you took amtrak.

Historic Charles Street Association (http://www.charlesstreet.net/home.cfm - broken link)

it's the unofficial gayborhood and the beaux-arts district. a bit similar to dupont circle.

roland park and guilford further up have stately homes. try bolton hill right by mt vernon as well.

Live in Baltimore - Neighborhood Profiles

guilford

Guilford : Baltimore Maryland : The Premier Residential Community

mt vernon cultural district

Mt.Vernon Cultural District : Home

Old 10-17-2009, 05:37 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
I'd definitely recommend Mount Vernon (north of downtown, south of Penn Station) and Fells Point (east of Inner Harbor). You could also check out Lexington Market, which has some similarity to Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia and Broad Street Market in Harrisburg.

I need to check out other parts of Baltimore myself, especially the areas north of Penn Station up near Johns Hopkins.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:49 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Hello forum!

As some of you may know I'm a native of Northeastern PA who has relocated this year to Fairfax County, VA. It has been roughly a decade since I've been to Baltimore, and I feel as if I'm LONG overdue for a return visit. Some of my co-workers were very receptive when I pitched the idea of scoping out Inner Harbor and the aquarium next weekend, so that may be a possibility. I've also read in the Washingtonian about some really cool and funky antiques district that I know my one eccentric friend will most certainly love. Other than that though I'm very unfamiliar with the city.

What are some things you'd suggest someone do for a day-trip in the city BESIDES Inner Harbor? What are the most "hood rat"-oriented parts of the city so I can plan out which street boundary areas to avoid, as I do tend to saunter around with my camera a bit too much? What are some great local places to eat---specifically I'm cravin' me a crab cake or two (and if you say Legal Seafoods or Red Lobster I'm gonna give y'all a good smack!) As someone with a strong love of historic architecture, especially Victorians and rowhomes, what are some must-see areas? What's the best way to get to Baltimore from Fairfax County? Should I drive in and then try to find street parking downtown or should I take Amtrak from DC to Baltimore?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
If you are planning your trip while the Marc trains are running; take it. It's much less expensive than Amtrak.
There is a lot to see for someone loving architecture. Take a walk up Charles Street and back down St. Paul. Try to walk through the Bolton Hill neighborhood. If driving, try to see Roland Park and the areas around it. A walk along the waterfront to Fort McHenry is always interesting. Try to see at least two of our city markets: Lexington and Cross Street. For seafood, I love Mamas on the Half Shell in Canton on ODonnell Street. For shopping, 36th Street in Hampden has a lot of antique places along with Howard Street up by Maryland General Hospital/State Center. Fells Point is always interesting also and Bertha's is there for mussels.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:43 AM

lol so sorry the weather has sucked this weekend.

great place for Belgian beer in a mt vernon townhouse:

The Brewer's Art

lol hopefully by the time you come up here baltimore's free downtown circulator will be up

Charm City Circulator

I also would try to make the Baltimore dtown farmers market Sunday mornings

Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts

Old 10-18-2009, 07:51 AM

775 posts, read 1,784,748 times
Take a walk up to the American Brewery Building. The American Brewery Building (http://www.humanim.com/content/index.cfm/ContentID/2607/SectionID/62 - broken link)
It is amazing on many levels.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:23 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
Take a walk up to the American Brewery Building. The American Brewery Building (http://www.humanim.com/content/index.cfm/ContentID/2607/SectionID/62 - broken link)
It is amazing on many levels.

Definitely one of the many spectacular examples of rehab and architecture.

However, I have clue why this troll would tell you to walk there. Part of the reason why the rehab work was so spectacular was the fact that the site sits in one of Baltimore's worst areas.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 AM

coming up this weekend?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:25 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,239 times
Default Places to go...

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions. I'd agree that Mamas on the Half Shell in Canton is the place to go for a crab cake and the Downtown Farmers Market is awesome; a great place to go to really get a feel for the city. Also if you go to Federal Hill park (intersection of Riverside and Warren) you can get a really nice view of the city. I'd also recommend the Visionary Art Museum, which is right next to the park and another very Baltimore place to go. I'd recommend avoiding the inner harbor altogether; it's basically crappy food, tons of tourists and mediocre shopping.

Even though the drive is a pain, a car is really needed for seeing all these places. Parking can be tricky, but it's definitely doable to use your car, drive to the areas mentioned and find parking in each. Just bring a GPS. And make sure you don't try to park in Federal Hill on a game day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: