Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:49 PM

52 posts, read 174,190 times

Advertisements

I'm a Maryland native who, like most visitors, usually go only to the inner harbor area when visiting Baltimore. The harbor area is quite nice.

I recently had the opportunity to run a great race, the Baltimore Marathon, where we got to see the whole city for what it really is, and most of it is a sad ghetto. The run down state of the city was a surprise. There are literally rows of condemned, boarded up houses. There were windows covered by plastic sheets instead of glass. It felt like a different country, out of place in a state like Maryland.

The infrastructure and architecture itself appeared to be good. From what I saw, it seems like the city has a lot of potential, and that heavy gentrification and white collar job growth could change most of the city into a wonderful place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 07:18 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by powersnax View Post
I'm a Maryland native who, like most visitors, usually go only to the inner harbor area when visiting Baltimore. The harbor area is quite nice.

I recently had the opportunity to run a great race, the Baltimore Marathon, where we got to see the whole city for what it really is, and most of it is a sad ghetto. The run down state of the city was a surprise. There are literally rows of condemned, boarded up houses. There were windows covered by plastic sheets instead of glass. It felt like a different country, out of place in a state like Maryland.

The infrastructure and architecture itself appeared to be good. From what I saw, it seems like the city has a lot of potential, and that heavy gentrification and white collar job growth could change most of the city into a wonderful place to live.

Glad you enjoyed the Baltimore marathon. After running quite a distance, you may have thought you saw the "whole" city, but you didn't. The marathon took you through quite a few neighborhoods, many of them yes, in sad shape. After you passed Orleans on the east side of town, you went through Baltimore's toughest east side neighborhoods-poverty and abandonment in many of them. When you came back from Druid Hill, they took you down McCollough on the west side which is beautiful in it's own right but also has a lot of abandonment issues.
I guess I would sum up my response in that Baltimore does have some tough areas-a whole lot of them. However, there are many sections of the city that are quite nice away from the Inner Harbor.
I should add that the route was changed this year due to work being done at Fort McHenry. I suggest you visit again and get a truer picture of the city.

I guess if I ran in a DC marathon through Anacostia, I would come back with mixed emotions. Hope you find that home you're looking for in NOVA.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the thoughtful response, I thought I was going to be yelled at.

It's one thing to know that every city has it's poorer sections, it's another thing to actually see them. I was just surprised at what they looked like in Baltimore and how many neighborhoods were like that. Most people in the DC area know to avoid everything east of the Anacostia... yikes!

I really enjoyed running through Federal Hill and Fells Point. Like I said, I think the city has so much potential if people of similar demographic as these areas move into other places in town. It would be a dream to own a townhouse by the water in Federal Hill with a rooftop patio.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:53 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Yea, the marathon goes through some very beautiful architecturally speaking areas with tons and tons of potential.

though, Jonjj is right, the marathon does not cover most of Baltimore City. There are some truley incredible neighborhoods outside of the marathon

The title could use some fixing though lol

Old 10-17-2009, 02:50 PM

Hey who changed my title? I chose it for shock value... heh...

Old 10-17-2009, 04:06 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
Title did not reflect the post. The Maryland/Baltimore forums already have plenty of shock value, don't need any more.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:33 PM

Awesome, I got moderated!

Old 10-17-2009, 04:58 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,265 times
I don't think Baltimore is any different from most big cities--there are good areas and there are bad areas.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:37 PM

775 posts, read 1,783,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
I don't think Baltimore is any different from most big cities--there are good areas and there are bad areas.
Not different from most big cities? Wow. I've travelled in the Mid- west, East, New England and Southeast and have to respectfully disagree. Actually, maybe I agree with your premise, but disagree with the degree to which Bmore is like other big cities. Of the big cities I have visited, Bmore is clearly overrepresented by bad areas and yes if you are careful you can also find good areas.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:01 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
edit: You're predictable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore