Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:22 AM

19 posts, read 70,611 times

Advertisements

in your opinion, which city provides a better urban living experience? which city is more affordable and has safe urban neighborhoods close to or in downtown? and finally, which city would i be better off in if i didnt have a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 09:19 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,378 times
Baltimore is a mid Atlantic town, Philly is a passionate Northeastern town, and that makes a big difference.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:21 PM

117 posts, read 214,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge1 View Post
in your opinion, which city provides a better urban living experience? which city is more affordable and has safe urban neighborhoods close to or in downtown? and finally, which city would i be better off in if i didnt have a car?
Of course B-more rules over nasty Philly anyday.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:18 PM

269 posts, read 1,054,715 times
Philly is bigger - is more onscale with DC as far as diversity goes. I think it beats Baltimore as Baltimore is still segregated by race.
Baltimore is like Pittsburgh - urban in spots, but still has its small-minded people. I'm sure the same is true in Philly, but those people live further out.

Center City in Philly is great (old city too), but I have limited experience. Parking stinks there. There are some GREAT neighborhoods in Baltimore. Other than that - I've found that Philly's safeness changes street to street/ block to block, whereas in Baltimore, it goes by neighborhood/entire areas.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:31 AM

234 posts, read 1,062,906 times
Philly for sure.....and that's coming from a Baltimore property owner. However, you will get a hell of a lot more real estate for your dollar in Baltimore.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:11 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,884 times
Once you "do" Center City a few times, it gets old. And yeah, the parking blows. You could always move to South Philly....mmmm...cheesesteaks...

Neither city is great if you don't have a car -- public transportation isn't so hot. Crime...trash...other typical urban problems -- it's a toss-up, really. I honestly have come to believe that you're either a city person or you're not. If you are, you adapt. If not (and that's fine, by the way), then you'll move into the city for a while, hate the crime/noise/trash/whatever -- and you'll move after the novelty wears off.

So I guess in a very roundabout way, I'm wondering if you're looking for a cool urban experience, or are you looking to put down roots? Because if you leave Philly for the 'burbs, commuting in is a royal pain in the you-know-what. Are you totally committed to the idea of urban living?

Old 06-18-2007, 01:11 AM

34 posts, read 161,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
Baltimore is a mid Atlantic town, Philly is a passionate Northeastern town, and that makes a big difference.
so your answer is Philly?

Old 06-18-2007, 01:08 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,415 times
Both Baltimore and Philly are mid-atlantic towns. As a New Yorker I cannot tell the difference between the two, except that Baltimore is a bit smaller and has a bit more crime/drugs/etc.

The Mid-atlantic encompasses New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Delaware. I've never understood why people in Baltimore/Washington think of the Mid-atlantic as ending beyond a 50 mile radius around Baltimore/Washington. Both NYC and Philly are Mid-atlantic towns; I'd know since I live in the former.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:24 PM

69 posts, read 295,379 times
the entire city of baltimore is a dump, in philly, just avoid north and west philly.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:18 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,415 times
Basically, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: