U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 PM

8 posts, read 25,295 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I supposed that Charles Village is a quite safe neighborhood, but I recently heard that it is unsafe and dangerous owing to proximity to drug/crime areas. Is there anybody living there that can say how things actually are? Is Hampden a safer neighborhood than Charles Village? In another thread I described my situation, but I give here a very brief recall: we're a young italian couple, maybe moving to Baltimore next year, my wife will work at JHU and I should have a job elsewhere in a research center in Maryland; we want to live close to JHU.

Thank you very much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 03:38 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,490,991 times
Great Places in America: Neighborhoods

Charles Village received an award for being one of the ten greatest neighborhoods in the states in 2008. It's a great neighborhood, very academic. In terms of safety, a lot depends on where you choose to live.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:52 PM

Thanks, jonjj. Can you be more specific about your latter statement? Where, in Charles Village, is safe to stay and where it is not, in your opinion?

Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,490,991 times
Well, until you get your feet wet: I would look for something north of 27th between Maryland and Calvert. That's a generality and I am sure others may disagree with me but I would start with it.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:01 PM

775 posts, read 1,605,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by europe_78 View Post
Dear all,

I supposed that Charles Village is a quite safe neighborhood, but I recently heard that it is unsafe and dangerous owing to proximity to drug/crime areas. Is there anybody living there that can say how things actually are? Is Hampden a safer neighborhood than Charles Village? In another thread I described my situation, but I give here a very brief recall: we're a young italian couple, maybe moving to Baltimore next year, my wife will work at JHU and I should have a job elsewhere in a research center in Maryland; we want to live close to JHU.

Thank you very much.
Very simply...compared to what? Baltimore is a dangerous city-fact. Maybe not as dangerous as some, but a lot more dangerous than many others. Depends on what you are willing to live with. Are you a gambling man?

Old 10-28-2009, 07:07 PM

101 posts, read 161,790 times
Hello,

I just saw your post. I live at 27th and Maryland (high 2600's), and I will agree that the quality starts to drop south of 27th. I'm just as it's starting to drop off, but hasn't yet really gone yet. For people who are completely new, if you want completely safe, I'd do one of the high rise apartments on University Parkway. I don't know if that's limited to student housing but I don't think it is. If you have enough money, you could buy or rent one of the fancy lofts on St. Paul which is the most "happening" block in the Village. But I will concur with the previous poster to stay north of 27th (and better, north of 30th) and between Maryland and Calvert. And I am even saying that even though technically I live just barely in the "wrong" part.

Edited to add: we have three Italian speakers on the block above me (2700 Maryland). Benvenuto!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:54 PM

10 posts, read 31,546 times
Hello,

I went to JHU as an older student from out of state and lived in one of the high rise apartments on University Parkway, right across from JHU on the north side of campus. It was easy, safe, and I could walk to Charles village restaurants and nightlife, also take safe walks north or west of my building in Roland Park. You could try renting in one of these buildings for the first year and then get the feel for the Charles village area as you spend more time there. Good Luck, I loved Baltimore and JHU!

Old 10-29-2009, 05:43 AM

Thank you all, now I have a clearer idea on Charles Village.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:21 AM

675 posts, read 1,909,890 times
there's always google earth and streetview to help you decide where to live

Old 11-04-2009, 01:27 PM

568 posts, read 1,268,038 times
Charles village is definitely more dangerous than Hampden because of it's proximity to the North Ave -Greenmount corridor. While in itself, it isn't a bad neighborhood, there are quite a bit of muggings due to the spillover of thuggery from Barclay, and Greenmount West. Many students and artist bohemian types live there, including John Waters himself.

Hampden is pretty much surrounded by affluent areas, although it's a combination of mainly blue collar and bohemian types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore