Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 17,503 times

Advertisements

Baltimore City has some beautiful parks, but they are often not utilized to their full extent because people feel unsafe walking in poorly lit and "unsafe" areas.

Despite the city's attempts to make them safe, which parks are just too scary to go out alone in?

How is Patterson Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 11:43 AM

773 posts, read 2,630,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbaby View Post
Baltimore City has some beautiful parks, but they are often not utilized to their full extent because people feel unsafe walking in poorly lit and "unsafe" areas.

Despite the city's attempts to make them safe, which parks are just too scary to go out alone in?

How is Patterson Park?
I find posts like these a bit strange and a bit annoying. Drive to a park, park your car, and walk around a bit. If you feel safe, it probably is; if you're scared out of your gourd, go somewhere else.

Patterson Park is probably safer than Clifton Park. ‘Droodle’ Hill? I don't know. I would guess it's safe because the zoo is there.

My favorite hike, when I lived in your fair city many years ago, was to park my car off Wash Blvd near the old Calvert distillery near Relay. Then I'd cross the road to the north and walk along the B&O RR tracks toward the Thomas Viaduct. Don't cross the viaduct, but turn right at the RR switch to the east of the viaduct and follow the tracks northwest toward Ellicott City (and eventually to Chicago ). I used to walk as far as Frederick Road where there was a bar to provide fortification for the return trip. A Maryland State park is to your left as you walk north. Strictly speaking, it may be illegal to walk along the tracks, but on weekends there is very little train traffic — and it is a freight-only line. In the fall the osage orange trees are dropping their fruit and the fall colors are stunning. Plus you will walk along in complete solitude.

Ah, don't get me reminiscing.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:51 PM

181 posts, read 633,455 times
I'm sure our dear poster jonjj will soon be on here to delight you with the wonders of Patterson Park.

Zea's first couple of comments make a lot of sense.

Don't know what sparked Spider's question, but in general, unless there's a special event, you don't want to be in the parks after dark. In fact, it tis technically illegal to be in the parks after midnight; some are posted with more restricted hours.

Most parks are safe most of the time during the day; it is always wise to avoid isolated areas by yourself, particularly if you're a woman.

Some parks have particular safety issues. Patterson Park is good for running, biking, dog-walking, etc.; however, avoid groups of kids after school and avoid the park completely at night, except, perhaps to walk your dog on the periphery.

There was a recent article in the Sun about the Gwynns Falls trail, and its lack of assigned police and managers because of the budget and other crises. I would not recommend using that except during the day; women only in a group.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:32 PM

805 posts, read 2,114,594 times
I didn't feel comfortable in Druid Hill Park. I got a few stares and a few rough looking people were around. I just walked half way around the reservoir and back to my car. I tried to walk all the way around but a crazy dude yelled at me about my having my dog next to it which could happen anywhere. When he was yelling, people around looked surprised so it wasn't like it was acceptable or anything. The tennis courts and pool looked nice. I haven't been to the Zoo for along time but would like to go soon.

Patterson Park seems nice. I've been there a couple of times and enjoyed it.

I go to Latrobe Park a lot now because of the dog park. She really enjoys it and the people have been friendly so far.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:41 PM

181 posts, read 633,455 times
I agree with you, Bolton---Although Druid Hill Park is probably "safe" during the day, and for going to the zoo, but some folks might feel uncomfortable there---I don't really feel comfortable there, either.

The safest park are probably Wyman Park, Riverside Park, Latrobe Park, and Canton Waterfront Park.

Generally, I recommending avoiding Clifton Park, Druid Hill, and Leakin Park unless you are attending/particpating in some special event there.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:57 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,061 times
I don't think Clifton park should be avoided entirely. It's so rich in history and offers a lot. The Clifton Mansion is BEAUTIFUL. There's also the Clifton Golf course on it. Also, in the corner nearest to lake Montebello, there is "mother's garden" which is so nice. Tons of Potential. I mean i wouldn't recommend walking around the park at night, when school lets out (Lake Clifton/Eastern High school is inside the park), or on the borders of the park (its surrounded on a few sides by rougher neighborhoods) though

Old 10-29-2009, 03:43 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,592,508 times
In terms of parks in Baltimore, I think Patterson has them all beat. It is conveniently located near downtown and has a lot of activities and events. I loved it this weekend with Barktoberfest and the Lantern Parade/activities. I think it is still under-utilized. I use it daily to walk the dogs and just enjoy some fresh air.

I actually think Druid Hill Park is a prettier park and I never feel nervous in it. There always seems to be activity in it and I never hear of problems occuring in it. It's a great park for biking.

Although technically not a park, I think the grounds of Fort McHenry are probably some of the nicest parkland around here and love biking to it and just relaxing look at the water, ships, etc.

I'm really not to familiar with the other parks in Baltimore.

Sad to say, I don't think Baltimore has that "great" park like the Commons in Boston or Central in NYC. To be honest, I wish it did. I always thought more of the shorefront should have been converted to parkland.

Safety? I am not sure I would walk any park in any city at night without feeling a bit apprehensive. Just a sign of the times I guess.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:36 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,163 times
Default Don't forget Carroll, Leakin

The recent turnaround of Patterson Park -- and to a far lesser extent of Druid Hill Park -- underscores that any park is reasonably safe if it is well patronized and has a schedule of programs to draw locals and outsiders into it.
I would make this the central argument instead of compiling silly lists about best and worst. (What is this morbid fascination with some posters who always ask about the worst neighborhood, etc?)
I have walked the Gwynn Falls Trail several times, albeit with some mean (but frail) old white guys, and we have never had a problem. In fact, when we walked Windsor Hill (which admittedly is not a park), people looked at us with curiosity. One finally asked, "Are you from the gas company or police?"
So basically the safety of the parks is in the hands of citizens.
This is how it has always been. All classes of people used parks heavily in the old times because of overcrowded living quarters. During heat waves, whole families slept in parks. There was plenty of regular programming. Baltimore, in fact, is the "Cradle of Municipal Music," according to a 1941 book I have, meaning that the city not only initiated the symphony orchestra but sponsored park bands. Particularly popular were sing-alongs that were conducted with a bouncing ball. Until 1964, when it was finally disbanded, the city sponsored a separate "colored" park band.
The park band, now called Concert Band, was created in 1914 and still exists. It's staffed mostly by music teachers and plays a very unspiring and dated program. But listening to it at some church lawn while munching hot dogs amounts to a constructive endeavor, endearingly quaint.
In more recent years, private sponsors have stepped in. Such concerts are far better attended (and enjoyable, I must say) and often demonstrate a celebratory atmosphere.
Music is only one activity, as Patterson Park has shown through its widening arrays of programs. East Baltimoret proves that volunteers make a difference. It's up to us.

Last edited by barante; 10-29-2009 at 10:06 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 12:51 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
The recent turnaround of Patterson Park -- and to a far lesser extent of Druid Hill Park -- underscores that any park is reasonably safe if it is well patronized and has a schedule of programs to draw locals and outsiders into it.
I would make this the central argument instead of compiling silly lists about best and worst. (What is this morbid fascination with some posters who always ask about the worst neighborhood, etc?)
I have walked the Gwynn Falls Trail several times, albeit with some mean (but frail) old white guys, and we have never had a problem. In fact, when we walked Windsor Hill (which admittedly is not a park), people looked at us with curiosity. One finally asked, "Are you from the gas company or police?"
So basically the safety of the parks is in the hands of citizens.
This is how it has always been. All classes of people used parks heavily in the old times because of overcrowded living quarters. During heat waves, whole families slept in parks. There was plenty of regular programming. Baltimore, in fact, is the "Cradle of Municipal Music," according to a 1941 book I have, meaning that the city not only initiated the symphony orchestra but sponsored park bands. Particularly popular were sing-alongs that were conducted with a bouncing ball. Until 1964, when it was finally disbanded, the city sponsored a separate "colored" park band.
The park band, now called Concert Band, was created in 1914 and still exists. It's staffed mostly by music teachers and plays a very unspiring and dated program. But listening to it at some church lawn while munching hot dogs amounts to a constructive endeavor, endearingly quaint.
In more recent years, private sponsors have stepped in. Such concerts are far better attended (and enjoyable, I must say) and often demonstrate a celebratory atmosphere.
Music is only one activity, as Patterson Park has shown through its widening arrays of programs. East Baltimoret proves that volunteers make a difference. It's up to us.

Agreed.. I wish they would do more programming in Druid Hill Park. They have a variety of large events there throughout the year but I am not sure if an organization other than the City programs smaller activities there. I think that would make a difference in getting people to support the park more. I guess in the case of PP the neighborhood began to change and residents saw the improvement of the park as critical in continuing that change? Druid Hills may require the Park to change first and the adjacent neighborhoods may then follow suit? The Reservoir Hill would certainly provided a strong neighborhood base to move activities at the Park forward......

Old 11-02-2009, 03:52 PM

31 posts, read 138,279 times
I've been running around the lake at Druid Hill about twice a week for over a year with no problems.

I love the Baltimore Zoo, and am always sad to see how few people go there. I hope it's not due to people thinking it's unsafe.

Any opinions on Wyman Park's safety? I really like Hampden and was wondering about the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore