Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:44 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times

Advertisements

The "bad side" bordering on Guilford might have been prevented. The Home Owners' Loan Corporation, the New Deal bailout agency, was so concerned about its deterioration in the late 1930s, before racial change, that the agency developed an ambitious rescue plan. It was called the Waverly Test Program and covered thirty-nine blocks, consisting of more than 1,700 lots along Greenmount Avenue.
Because the "bad side" bordered on the Roland Park Company' prestigious Guilford, Homeland and Northwood, HOLC planners wanted to upgrade the sliver. They unveiled a model improvement program that was touted nationwide.
Those planners saw no value in the original Victorian architecture of Waverly’s old buildings. Instead, if detached houses were of frame construction, as most were, HOLC wanted to strip them of all Victorian influences. A pronounced dormer defining the roofline was to be eliminated so that a bay would not look so dominant. A “more modern” porch would be installed, with a new railing and non-Victorian columns. Similarly, a mansard-roofed Second Empire brick building would be altered to look like a Colonial Revival house. Alternately, slender porch columns could be added and extended to the frieze. With a fancy entrance canopy, the home could be transformed into an ersatz Greek Revival plantation house, not quite a Tara but far more imposing than before. See drawings that show examples of recommended architectural modifications in Waverly: A Study in Neighborhood Conservation
, p. 39 (Washington, D.C.: Federal Home Loan Bank Board).
Nothing came ot the plan. Instead a totally different plan was implemented after World War II. It produced the Waverly Shopping Center and clusters of what now are Section 8 complexes at Greenmount and Matthew.

Last edited by barante; 11-07-2009 at 05:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 11:18 AM

569 posts, read 1,441,795 times
Default Violent Crime spree in Guilford

ABDUCTION IN GUILFORD — Police hold emergency meeting tonight with community leaders

I once thought that I would feel safe in that area. I don't think I'd move there unless they made it a true gated community with a 15 foot high wall keeping the scum on the other side of Greenmount out and armed guard stations for entry.

The thugs will go there because that's where the money is, plain and simple.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:05 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
ABDUCTION IN GUILFORD — Police hold emergency meeting tonight with community leaders

I once thought that I would feel safe in that area. I don't think I'd move there unless they made it a true gated community with a 15 foot high wall keeping the scum on the other side of Greenmount out and armed guard stations for entry.

The thugs will go there because that's where the money is, plain and simple.

Given the press this incident received along with the community meeting last night, I am sure the police presence will improve in this area. The folks living there with the big bucks have reasons why they are there and the shananigans will be curtailed.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:08 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
All these occured well within the borders of Guilford within the last 24 hours:

http://www.explorebaltimorecounty.com/crime/102656/crime-log/

4100 block of Greenway at 7 p.m. Oct. 27. Man robbed of cash while getting out of vehicle.

Canterbury Road
3800 block, between 12:01 and 7:30 a.m. Oct. 27. Laptop, GPS and briefcase stolen from vehicle.

South Road
2200 block, between 11 p.m. Oct. 26 and 6 a.m. Oct. 27. Orange and black Robi leaf blower stolen from shed of residence. Entry gained by breaking off lock.

St. Paul Street
3900 block, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Oct. 29. Silver, four-door, 2007 Chrysler PT Crusier with Maryland tags 9EE40 stolen.

I guess the security patrol can only do so much when the borders are porous to pedestrian traffic. Still, these occurences are generally rare for this area. Hopefully it's not going to be a recurring trend. Maybe they need to make it a gated community like Cross Keys.
I wonder how effective a security patrol is and if they are armed? Granted it may make the novice criminal (i.e. crackhead) move along.. but the seasoned burgular or thug will certainly be more calculating or harder to deter. From this sample list it looks like that have more of the former.. crackhead smash and grab type stuff. I have often wondered what these officers would do if they had to confront a criminal.. To my understanding all they do is observe and report(i.e. call the real cops)but not necessarily intervene/arrest a perp because of liability issues?????..

Old 01-21-2010, 07:26 AM

569 posts, read 1,441,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I wonder how effective a security patrol is and if they are armed? Granted it may make the novice criminal (i.e. crackhead) move along.. but the seasoned burgular or thug will certainly be more calculating or harder to deter. From this sample list it looks like that have more of the former.. crackhead smash and grab type stuff. I have often wondered what these officers would do if they had to confront a criminal.. To my understanding all they do is observe and report(i.e. call the real cops)but not necessarily intervene/arrest a perp because of liability issues?????..
They would need to replace the unarmed security with armed Special Police, who are authorized and trained to make arrests on the property they are hired to protect, similar to what the San Francisco Patrol Special Police before their arrest powers were yanked in the mid 1990s. Unarmed security is about as effective as putting a mall ninja on the streets.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:13 PM

99 posts, read 243,968 times
Default Roland Park + Homeland

I would also consider RP and Homeland within the City limits along with Guilford.

We considered all three when relocating.

Guilford - houses were just too huge, and the proximity to the southern edge of York/Greenmount a little disquieting (although the stats, as you mention, seem reasonable). Sherwood Gardens were lovely, as was closeness to JHU.

Roland Park - houses, for what we wanted to spend, needed work, and would be too large for our needs. If we thought we'd be here for 20 years, we'd make a go of it, buy a labor of love, and do it up right. One great thing about RP is proximity of all amenities (Eddies, Enoch Pratt Free Library, etc.)

Homeland - fairly strict restrictions on what you can/can't do per the local covenants but for the size of house we wanted (2500+/- feet) it seemed to work. Also, it was close to RP, close to get out of town/into the County for some righteous bike riding, and had a good mix of families/kids/older folks etc. as well as being very close to the wonderful Belvedere Square (Neapol's Smokery, Ikan sushi, Atwaters etc.) which really helped seal the deal, as did the lovely Lakes.

All three are close to private schools as you have mentioned that you going this route. Guilford is absurdly close to Calvert - I see some kids walking to school on my bike ride to work (which cuts through Guilford). A lot of RP is close to Gilman, RPCS , and in a pinch, Friends. Homeland is very close to Friends (again, I see kids walking to/from Friends), Cathedral. RP and Homeland are both fairly close (short drive) to Bryn Mawr, Notre Dame, Boys Latin, and further out Charles, Loyola Blakefield.

I don't think you can go wrong in any that you chose.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:08 AM

7 posts, read 41,801 times
Hello:

Sort of a long delay to expound upon this question. Reading people's feedback as well as other threads here, it seems like the order in terms of number of families with young children seems to be:
1. Roland Park
2. Homeland
3. Guilford

Is this accurate?

Within Roland Park and Homeland, are there certain streets/blocks that seem to have a larger critical mass of kids?

Old 05-14-2010, 07:35 PM

280 posts, read 674,658 times
Not sure if this really gets to your question or not, but when I've been in Homeland on a nice day, I often seen many families & children enjoying the area around the Homeland Lakes (really ponds) near Spring Lake Way and Paddington Rd.

It's something very unique about Homeland, and it might be a good place to be near.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weaver View Post
Hello:
Within Roland Park and Homeland, are there certain streets/blocks that seem to have a larger critical mass of kids?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:39 PM

99 posts, read 243,968 times
Default critical mass of kids

Roland Park - Hawthorne Rd (?) - close to Ms. Shirleys, Spaghetti Eddies etc. seems to have a bunch of families - also, anywhere within walking distance to Roland Ave/Eddies/the library etc. seems to have a bunch of kids.

Homeland - pretty much anywhere in Homeland is close to the Lakes and you will find families everywhere - on our block in Homeland, there are four houses in a row with at least 2 kids each < age of 8.

m_b

Old 11-27-2011, 04:27 PM

4 posts, read 8,610 times
Default Roland Park Company: Covenant Restrictions

The Roland Park Company -- the entity that developed Roland Park, Guilford, Homeland and other neighborhoods in Baltimore City (and at the time Baltimore County) incorporated covenant restrictions into the text of the Deed and Agreements governing most properties in these developments. The Deed and Agreements were filed at Land Records, are legally binding, and have been frequently tested (and upheld) in legal courts.

The Roland Park Company over time increased the scope of these covenant restrictions as they were unhappy with the decline in the properties (maintenance-wise) in Roland Park's Plat One (the earliest section to be developed). Later portions of Roland Park have different and more stringent covenant restrictions. Guilford and Homeland have virtually identical language and are the most stringent. These restrictions are for EXTERNAL improvements and also to control how the property is used (no chicken farms or forges please). You can do what you want to the interior (but not subdivide or use for multi-family use).

The Roland Park Company sold these covenant restrictions to prospective purchasers as a kind of "insurance" to protect against a decline in property values which was at the time commonly seen in the older housing stock. At the time, covenants were uncommon and buyers needed to be pursuaded that covenants were in the interests of the home buyer. Today, however, most new developments in the United States have some covenant restrictions.

Covenant restrictions have helped Roland Park Company communities (now also in many cases National Register Historic Districts) maintain their historic character, visual appeal, and high property values for the last hundred plus years.

Prospective buyers in Maryland looking at homes in any neighborhood with a Homeowner's Association (HA) are entitled under a relatively new Maryland law to receive a copy of the covenant restrictions from the realtor and to be notified how much they will be required to pay (if anything) to the HA. Most of these communities also have these documents readily available on their community websites. Guilford and Roland Park have great websites. I have not visited Homeland's website.

Other points to mention:

Covenant Restrictions and Zoning are completely independant. Covenants are overseen and enforced by the HA. Zoning is overseen and enforced by Baltimore City. It is feasible that a homeowner could submit plans to Zoning which are then approved. These plans however, must also be submitted to the appropriate HA for approval. A zoning approval does not countermand HA architectural review.

Some people have indicated that Guilford is more lax than Homeland. I fear that a few disreputable realtors have spread that rumor to sell houses, but this is not true. There are a few houses in disrepair in Guilford but many of these have been or will be brought to court by the HA.

The good news is that many perfectly ordinary home repairs on these historic houses are included in the historic tax credit program administered by the Maryland Historical Trust. You need to apply first -- but where else can you get the State of Maryland to pay a portion of the costs associated with new plumbing, stripping of old paint, replacement of shutters, brick repointing, new electrical wiring, roof replacement and so much more?

Also, unlike most new housing developments in the county, the Roland Park Company HA mandatory fees and optional fees are super low. The services you receive for these fees varies community to community from Private Security (Guilford) to Leaf Pickups (Roland Park) but they all come with absolutely mind-blowing parks and gorgeous streetscapes perfect for cool fall walks with the dog of your choice and springtime romps with the kids. In Guilford, Sherwood Gardens is so beautifully tulip-bedecked in the spring that even non-residents flock to enjoy the blooms.

As others on this forum have noted, purchasing property is a major decision. At the end of the day, making sure you 1) have the financial resources to purchase and maintain an historic home, 2) have clear title to the property, and 3) that you understand fully all the rights and privileges vis a vis the homeowner's association are the purchaser's responsibility. The onus is on the buyer to understand the terms of the deal. I have never had to go to court on any matter with my HA, but I have heard from others that judges are spectacularly indifferent to "I didn't know."

I am a resident of Guilford. I find the houses to be well-made and among the most beautiful in the Baltimore Metropolitan area, and the neighborhood is so heavily treed that it is almost like living in a park. In the springtime the birdsong in Guilford is the loveliest I have ever heard. I have a lot just under an acre -- plenty of room to shield me from the neighbors, keep a playset in the back yard for the kids, and maintain a vegetable garden.

Properties in Guilford do not come up very often -- the largest houses are also the most rare. If you have the means and you are employed in Baltimore City and a great house comes up on the market -- jump on it! My husband has a 10 minute commute downtown to his office. My children have a 10 minute car ride to an amazing area private school (My four year old is learning French.) The Baltimore Museum of Art (oddly enough one of the best collections in the country of modern art) is also within walking distance.

For those of you only interested in public education for your young children, most of Guilford is zoned for Guilford Elementary Middle School (GEMS) -- not a blue ribbon school. GEMS has I believe no children from Guilford. Roland Park's public school is I believe a blue ribbon school and ranks highly nationally among its peers.

I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore