Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2009, 08:34 PM

12 posts, read 27,760 times

Advertisements

No, it's not another "where is it safe?". I've spent a fair amount of time in Baltimore without actually living here. (dated someone for 2 yrs so I guess I lived here part-time kind of). live in DC, but seriously considering moving to Baltimore. But that is irrelevant to my question.

Anyway, I was looking at a map that was in an older post that highlighted high crime areas. I am assuming that the areas in both east and west Baltimore indicated on the map have high crime as a result of, among other things, the drug trade. That assumption is based mostly on having read David Simon's books when they were first published and repeated viewings of "The Wire".
What I'm curious about are what are the reasons or factors contributing to the pockets of crime in Dundalk, the small area above it, Cherry Hill and Curtis Bay?

So, I'm basically interested in a sociology/recent history lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 01:03 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slk33 View Post
No, it's not another "where is it safe?". I've spent a fair amount of time in Baltimore without actually living here. (dated someone for 2 yrs so I guess I lived here part-time kind of). live in DC, but seriously considering moving to Baltimore. But that is irrelevant to my question.

Anyway, I was looking at a map that was in an older post that highlighted high crime areas. I am assuming that the areas in both east and west Baltimore indicated on the map have high crime as a result of, among other things, the drug trade. That assumption is based mostly on having read David Simon's books when they were first published and repeated viewings of "The Wire".
What I'm curious about are what are the reasons or factors contributing to the pockets of crime in Dundalk, the small area above it, Cherry Hill and Curtis Bay?

So, I'm basically interested in a sociology/recent history lesson.

It depends on what is considered as "high crime"..Baltimore's menu of crime areas could appeal to a wide range of palates. An area with a high number of car break ins versus an area with numerous shootings/murders. Both areas may be ranked as "high crime" areas but for different reasons. You could ask a resident of Charles Village, do you live in high crime area.. and they may say "yes" referring to the car breakins but they dont fear for their life walking around. Ask someone from Coldstream Montebello or Belair Edison and they may say "yes" referring to murders(often gang related) that keeps them off the streets but their cars are safe on the street.

Not as familiar with Dundalk, but Cherry Hill has old public housing complex(es) that may have contributed it its reputation and crime. Curtis Bay/Brooklyn I believe also have a few smaller and scattered public housing complexes...though in comparison to other areas that may be considered "high crime" Curtis Bay, in my opinion, is not mentioned as frequently as others. Most the "crime" I hear about from that area is domestic.. or a few bar fights versus drug murders, muggings, et al.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:47 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
I'm a bit confused. Dundalk lies to the East, bordering Baltimore City, in Baltimore county. Curtis Bay and Brooklyn are in the southern parts of Baltimore city, boarding Brooklyn Park in Ann Arundel County. Brooklyn and Curtis bay are not connected to Dundalk at all (and perhaps the op was truley reffering to Brooklyn Park instead). Correct?

Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Default Clarification

This is the map and post I was referring to:

"theres an areas in the last 6 months that has risen in crime drastically. (says Bmote crime stats)

The area is east of Greenmount Cemetery and west of Baltimore cemetery. south of clifton park and north of paterson park.

Termendous Shooting, muggings, rape and assults there.

Heres a map I have compiled so far of the extremly violent areas in the inner city.

[url="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=110684738471091012673. 0004504293e5d0ade57cd&ll=39.303222,-76.623116&spn=0.088068,0.152264&t=p&z=13"]

Those shapes are drawn due to data collected from

Baltimore Crime Map - Showing Crime in Baltimore, MD - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here and the city's own database-map.

hope that helps."

Old 11-09-2009, 04:22 PM

Default And I'm and idiot...

who can't figure out how to insert a clickable link for the map.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 PM

Default Types of Crime

For the purposes of this discussion, let's throw property crime out the window. While it is a huge pain in the ass and just kind of pisses you off if it occurs to your property, it doesn't really affect your life. I mean, I don't want my car to get broken into, but it's also not something that I spend a lot of time worrying about. ( possible because my car has been broken into so many times...yes, sometimes I left things in there that I should not have. Now there is nothing in it and the doors are unlocked.)

And that probably skews the map tremendously.

And also, if someone can explain to me why there is not a separate category for sexual assault or attempted sexual assault on the crimebaltimore.com website I'd be interested. I don't get why it is all lumped under assault. As a female I am more interested in those specific statistics and find it annoying that they are not easily and readily available. I don't want to have to sift through every bar fight, etc.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:09 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
I do not know much about 'crimebaltimore.com' but just like credit reports, you may want to look at several sources to find a more true picture. I would first consider the crime map put together by the Baltimore Police Department Baltimore Crime Map - Baltimore Police Department Official Web Site - City of Baltimore...... if you still feel that someone is 'jukein the stats' then consider The Baltimore Sun's crime map followed by the other various sites. I believe both the Sun and the BPD sites explain how their crimes are classified and are likely more reliable...

Old 11-10-2009, 02:35 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I do not know much about 'crimebaltimore.com' but just like credit reports, you may want to look at several sources to find a more true picture. I would first consider the crime map put together by the Baltimore Police Department Baltimore Crime Map - Baltimore Police Department Official Web Site - City of Baltimore...... if you still feel that someone is 'jukein the stats' then consider The Baltimore Sun's crime map followed by the other various sites. I believe both the Sun and the BPD sites explain how their crimes are classified and are likely more reliable...

Very good point. The site that produces those crime maps does them for every major city. They really get off on sensationalizing everything. Life is way to short for all of that fear.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:50 AM

775 posts, read 1,783,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Very good point. The site that produces those crime maps does them for every major city. They really get off on sensationalizing everything. Life is way to short for all of that fear.
Well said. Life in Baltimore can be very short, indeed.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:43 AM

569 posts, read 1,441,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
Well said. Life in Baltimore can be very short, indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: