Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,614 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I will be moving to Baltimore in a couple of months and was hoping to get some information from current residents regarding neighborhoods. I will be working for the Department of Corrections and will be moving with my wife and dog. We are life long New Yorkers and prefer the city life. However, I am aware that Baltimore has a higher crime rate than your average city. From a couple of trips that we have made to Baltimore we have primarily checked out the Downtown area, Mt Vernon and Fells Point. We went on a weekend and outside of Inner Harbor, the rest of the Downtown area seemed extremely deserted, not much of a neighborhood feel. Just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions regarding moderately safe neighborhoods in the city. We have a few more months until we move but I am trying to gather as much information as I can. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 03:15 PM

805 posts, read 2,115,107 times
Bolton Hill is on the edge of Mt Vernon. I like it.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:39 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,594,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman056 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I will be moving to Baltimore in a couple of months and was hoping to get some information from current residents regarding neighborhoods. I will be working for the Department of Corrections and will be moving with my wife and dog. We are life long New Yorkers and prefer the city life. However, I am aware that Baltimore has a higher crime rate than your average city. From a couple of trips that we have made to Baltimore we have primarily checked out the Downtown area, Mt Vernon and Fells Point. We went on a weekend and outside of Inner Harbor, the rest of the Downtown area seemed extremely deserted, not much of a neighborhood feel. Just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions regarding moderately safe neighborhoods in the city. We have a few more months until we move but I am trying to gather as much information as I can. Thanks a lot!

The "sticky" at the top of the Baltimore thread has information on all the neighborhoods. With the dog, I would check out Patterson Park. There is lots of information on the web about it and the park is great for dog-walking, other events.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:45 PM

Thanks "jonjj", there is a lot of useful information in that sticky. "Mrboltonman", thanks for the suggestion. I have heard good things about Bolton Hill

Old 12-16-2009, 01:32 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,594,835 times
The Real Estate Wonk: Patterson Park gets 'comeback neighborhood' nod - Baltimore Sun reporter Jamie Smith Hopkins blogs about the local housing market - baltimoresun.com

Patterson Park named one of the best "come-back" neighborhoods in the country!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:13 PM

Good to know about Patterson Park. Do they have a lot of rentals there?. Or do you pretty much have to be ready to buy?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 PM

5 posts, read 10,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman056 View Post
Good to know about Patterson Park. Do they have a lot of rentals there?. Or do you pretty much have to be ready to buy?
There's a lot of rentals. I'm personally going to check out 4 different rentals in the area tomorrow morning. Hit up Craigslist.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:06 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,136,785 times
Are you looking to rent or to buy? Housing in Canton/Patterson Park area took a temporary dive but things seem to be leveling out. From what I've seen, houses are generally selling for 10-30% less than what they would have gotten a couple years ago.

The nice thing is if you're looking to rehab a row home. Shells used to routinely sell in the mid 100's! And we're talking about a place that is just 4 walls and a roof. The shell prices have come down to far more realistic numbers which is why you're seeing a lot of investors back at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore