Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2007, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,441 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I recently moved Severna Park after I received a job offer in Annapolis. I am originally from the Boston area and I have used commuter rail lines in Boston and NYC. We took the the Light Rail to visit Baltimore today and even though I was impressed with the inner harbor area I was very disappointed and at some points a little bit frightened. The Light Rail was just plain ghetto and it was nothing like I expected. Is the Light Rail always this way or was it just a weekend thing? Is driving into Baltimore for the day easy? What about the MARC from Odenton to Baltimore is that a little less shady? Is DC the same way? Sorry about the 50 questions but I was just a bit shocked today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 11:26 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,606,976 times
Baltimore's my hometown and I love it, but its mass transit is probably the worst of any large city along the mid-atlantic/northeast corridor. It's basically become a driving city, even though it was built as an East Coast city in the same manner as Boston, NYC, DC, etc. They're trying to change that with the Red Line project, but god knows how long that's gonna take. DC on the other hand is the complete opposite of Baltimore when it comes to transit. It has the second busiest subway in the country (NYC being the first of course) and EVERYONE down there uses the subway (or metro as they call it). The stations and cars are clean, safe, and definately not "ghetto". I guarantee you'd feel much safer on the DC metro than the Baltimore light rail.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:00 PM

689 posts, read 3,214,857 times
I used to commute three days a week from Baltimore to DC and back -- on the MARC train. Hated it. HATED it. Took well over an hour and God forbid you should try to get a seat during rush hour.

Then I discovered Amtrak's Business Class, and I was a very happy commuter indeed. Pricey, but well worth the peace and quiet.

Our Light Rail is okay -- it's certainly no Metro, but it's doable. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't GO anywhere. I always had a car until recently -- how do people get around without one?? Eek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore