Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:03 PM

8 posts, read 33,332 times

Advertisements

Has anyone out there driven from the Baltimore/Wash DC area to southern Oregon (or the reverse?) How long does it take (with one driver) if you stop at night? I'm THINKING about moving out there, I have 3 old cats and I am hesitant to put them on the airplane cross country (1 needs insulin injections every 12 hours) Anyone driven out to OR with cats in the car? I I have a Toyota RAV 4 with plenty of room in the back for their carriers, litter box, etc. (none of this is definite at this point) Any input from people who've done this successfully would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 03:22 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Good grief. I did that drive with three dogs about three years ago during the summer. It was hot (above 90) the entire way until we hit the ocean. It took us five days to get there. We got very early starts (4am) and stopped around 2 because it got so darn hot everyday.
Get some downers for the cats (vet can do that) and give each one a pill in the morning. Put them in the case and let it ride. I really don't know what would be easier, cats or dogs? They get antsy with stop and go traffic, but when the car was going at a steady speed for awhile, they just slept.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
I drove from NC to Baltimore recently (6 hours) with my 14 year old diabetic cat, and never again. She emptied her bladder and bowels in the carrier and never stopped crying. If I had it to do over I would fly and/or sedate her. I'd do whatever it took to make the trip shorter. I thought driving would be easier because of her age, but it wasn't. If you must drive, I would get a BIG carrier (big dog sized) and make sure the litter pan is in there with the cats.

I had the dog with me too, and she was just fine. For me the cat was far harder.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,367 times
Default How to drive from Baltimore to either Portland OR or Chicago IL w two old cats? Help!

Hello Katzenjammer, and to all of you who replied on this subject:

I am planning the exact same trip in about a month, from Baltimore to Portland Oregon, with 2 elderly kitties, as a solo driver. They are 15. The girl has recently had an ear infection, so we can't fly. They boy had diabetes and daily insulin for about a year but then he recovered from his diabetes. But I think it is a case of once a diabetic, always a diabetic, and he does need his litter box often, and the new thing is that he cannot get hungry now or else he gets low blood sugar and has a petit mal. Otherwise they are supposedly healthy, and up to date on all their shots.

I have a sedan!
Maybe I will drive the car out there by myself, then fly back and rent a van or a truck, so I can have litter boxes for both in the car, and water for them to drink.
But, please, tell me, did you actually do the trip last January 2010 when you posted this query for yourself?
How on earth did you do it? Did you sleep in the car, or did you bring them into motels at night? Did they stay in the car for five days straight? I request advice from all of you on how to do this trip, without my cats foaming at the mouth and crying and panting the whole trip? At this age, couldn't they have a heart attack from too much stress?
I wonder If I can actually move to Portland and have my kitties arrive with me in still decent health.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:19 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
Well I think if you left right meow, you should be able to drive across the country in a week. Of course the flight out there is like 6 hours so I'm not sure why you wouldn't just do that.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 5,367 times
It would certainly be more appealing. The one kitty has had a recent ear infection, which should be better. Maybe better go see another vet and get a better scoop on that. Thanks for the reply!

Old 05-10-2011, 01:27 PM

19 posts, read 53,657 times
I would consider flying. Cats don't handle stress well and a trip that long could be a lot to take. I flew a cat here from Hawaii which was about a 11 hour flight. She handled it surprisingly well and I didn't have to sedate her. A flight to Oregon is relatively short, may be worth looking in to. The only catch is that you would probably only be able to take one cat as a carry on and the others would be cargo

Old 05-10-2011, 03:02 PM

158 posts, read 395,777 times
Not to freak anyone out but I was on a flight recently to Miami and we sat on the tarmac for quite some time... And an animal carrier just sat out on the pavement next to the plane and other suitcases for a good hour. As if it was some sort of inaminate object and not an animal in there. (I *think* it was a dog - it was a bigger case and fur would occasionally puff out of the holes.) I felt terrible for that pet having to sit there, in the heat, probably with no water, breathing in diesel fuel fumes. I would only send my pet via cargo if it was the last resort...

I think your kitties will be fine. Talk to your vet about the road trip - he/she should be able to give you good advice. Also, there are lots and lots of other websites that discuss long road trips with cats (and dogs) ad nauseum. As others mentioned, some sort of light sedative hidden in a yummy treat might not be a bad idea though. Again - check with your vet about that. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2011, 01:17 PM

148 posts, read 369,860 times
I don't have any advice other than what has already been posted, but I wanted to add my thanks to all of you who don't abandon your pets because of your moves. So many people dump them at shelters rather than put forth the effort to take their pets with them. Kudos for bringing your little family members with you!

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2011, 01:23 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzenjammer View Post
Has anyone out there driven from the Baltimore/Wash DC area to southern Oregon (or the reverse?) How long does it take (with one driver) if you stop at night? I'm THINKING about moving out there, I have 3 old cats and I am hesitant to put them on the airplane cross country (1 needs insulin injections every 12 hours) Anyone driven out to OR with cats in the car? I I have a Toyota RAV 4 with plenty of room in the back for their carriers, litter box, etc. (none of this is definite at this point) Any input from people who've done this successfully would be appreciated.
I've gone cross country from AZ to Annapolis or TX to Annapolis and back from both places with 4 cats and 1 dog. It can be done and it's no biggie.

The Annapolis to TX is no big deal and I can get there in 2 days. Now the Annapolis to AZ is a bit longer and one time it took me 7 days to get there but I was taking my time and stopping every few hours to let the pets gets some air, etc.

I would think it might take about 7 days also to get to OR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: