Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 PM

844 posts, read 2,829,562 times

Advertisements

Check out the website for the Baltimore Bicycling Club - they may have special maps or can refer you to someone who can advise you - or ask for information in any bicycle shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 AM

775 posts, read 1,783,957 times
Check out the list of Most Bicycle Friendly cities. http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/b...r_list_web.pdf

Hint: Bmore is nowhere to be found.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:23 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
NPR in Baltimore has been running a regular series on biking in Baltimore. Maryland ranks 16th in states according to some study. They also interview bikers for transit to work and have other details. You can listen to the series here:

2-3-10: Bikeability « Maryland Morning with Sheilah Kast

Old 02-04-2010, 03:27 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
Check out the list of Most Bicycle Friendly cities. http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/b...r_list_web.pdf

Hint: Bmore is nowhere to be found.
Odd. Not sure how they came up with that study. Boston isn't on the list and biking, walking, or transit were my only options there. I didn't even own a car. I notice a number of other large cities missing also. Oh well. I still don't think it's any more difficult here than Philly or other places.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:36 AM

99 posts, read 243,968 times
Default Biking Baltimore

Moved to Bmore last summer from Boston. In Boston, I commuted by bike pretty much every day (Cambridge -> downtown Boston). I now live a little further away from my office (about 7-8 miles one way), but manage a commute in at least a few times a week, weather permitting.

BMore has fewer bike lanes etc. than Boston, but the traffic density is a lot less. I find the commute in to work pretty straightforward, and can stitch together a decent route between bike lanes and less-traveled roads (Fallsway).

The commute home (in darkness) usually finds me threading my way up Charles St. North past JHU and then weaving through the less-trafficked streets in Guildford.

Traversing the waterfront East->West is pretty easy with the shared bike lane along the edge of the Inner Harbor.

I find the city riding/commuting to be just fine, but you are talking to someone who didn't own a car in Boston for close to 10 years, so don't take me as a representative sample.

Away from bike commuting, the regular (road) riding in Baltimore, particularly Baltimore County, is nothing short of spectacular. Once you get out of the City Limits, the roads in/around Cockeysville, Oregon Ridge Park etc. are really remarkable - it's some of the best road riding I have ever done, and I've ridden/raced in a lot of places.

Last note - in Boston I used to commute on a beat up touring bike stripped down to one gear (39x16). For my commutes here, especially lugging stuff around, I have had to break down and use a bike with more reasonable gearing. That's been fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore