Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:38 AM

9 posts, read 32,524 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me if it safe for a woman (single) to live at this address,
I am moving from nyc ny and don't know if would be a safe area for me to live, of course i realize that at night I would not walk the streets, but a general feel for the area? I am really in a quandry about if this is a good move for me or look somewhere else, it is actually the Avalon community of apt.,s
thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 09:52 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,812,425 times
Default Pluses and minuses

Pluses: Very central, close to Metro subway, light-rail, MARC train to Washinton, Lexington Market, the University of Maryland downtown campus, Inner Harbor, central business district, downtown hotels, the Orioles and Ravens stadiums; within walking distance of the Enoch Pratt Central Library, the Roman Catholic Basilica, Mount Vernon. The list goes on.
This used to be Baltimore's department store district -- sort of Fifth Avenue -- but none of those are left. It is making a comeback. An off-Broadway theater, the Hippodrome, is just around the corner. An Artists Equity theater, Everyman's, is moving to a currently vacant building around another corner. A block of old retail buildings was just demolished. They will be redeveloped to modern retail and apartments.
Minuses: Still rough, although this is mostly visual decay and antisocial behavior than outright violence.
Would I do it? I am a man, but at your age I would seriously consider it if you can find a nice apartment at a good price.
By New York standards, those apartments are free.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:15 AM

thank you, great loft apartments, so much less than nyc, I just need to feel comfortable, if you know what I mean, when you say antisocial behavior what do mean?
thank you for your assistance,

Old 02-07-2010, 10:35 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,346,278 times
Good lord, no, not unless you've been living in a pretty seriously tough neighborhood in NYC.

There are very few neighborhoods I would allow (much less recommend) my single female friends to live in Baltimore.

Lexington Market is not one of them. You have much better options in Roland Park/JHU area, or maybe Charles Village Mt. Vernon or Canton or even Federal Hill or Locust Point.

Be careful. Look for secured parking and a security building, and make aa visit to the area at 10PM and see how you'd feel walking to 7-11 or whatever.

Good luck.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:57 AM

Default Varying views

sbmldc -- You will get lots of contrasting views, some from people who know what they are talking about, others from people who have formed certain impressions but haven't been to the area for years. In the end, this is like choosing the right one -- only you can decide.
By antisocial, I mean poor people, street people; not threatening but visually disconcerting. In addition to this, if you are uncomfortable with black people gathering at transit stops at the intersection of Howard and Fayette, speaking loudly, etc., this is not an area for you. In terms of real danger, I don't think there is much. The city police have a fully-equipped substation in the basement of the old Hecht department store, there are security kiosks all over the place.
As to Lexington Market, it used to be where Baltimoreans of all classes shopped for food. Today it is in the throes of transition. Mostly shoppers of modest means, blacks and many members of the underclass. Several stalls vacant. But those vacancies are not the result of business going bad but the market management intentionally keeping them vacant because they want to encourage a shift in the shopper mix by introducing new types of businesses to Lexington Market. They want a bagel shop, they want a vendor of first-grade cheeses, they want a good wine store, etc.
The whole area is in the middle of a transition. Lots of Baltimoreans will tell you that it will never amount to anything. Ask them when was the last time they actually visited. I have great faith in the area's turnaround.
You decide whether this is where you want to live.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:08 AM

well, different people different views, i am a bit concerned, being from nyc and being able to walk with little concern, of course, one must always be vigilant, I am bit concerned about going out in the evening and taking a walk. what would you say about Mt. Vernon? It is very hard to do this long distance.
thank you for all your input,
susan

Old 02-07-2010, 11:16 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,346,278 times
I have lived in all sorts of neighborhoods in all sorts of cities in this country, and definitely have some perspective on this.

I drive through there all the time, and I definitely agree that it will eventually be revitalized and that it is clearly not a terrifying or seriously dangerous neighborhood, yet it would not be a neighborhood I would recommend to my single female friends...yet.

The State Center Development, which will be situated directly between Lexington Market and Bolton Hill, will have a pretty big impact on this entire topic.

Hard to know which direction all of this will go.

I know everyone likes to believe they are an authority, though, so take all suggestions on the topic (both from me and from everyone else, of course) for whatever anonymous internet message board postings are worth.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 AM

Default Here is an alternative

Here is an alternative that has many of the strengths of 8 N. Howard:
It's about a mile north on Howard Street (although the address is Park Avenue), next to the Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, across from a light-rail station, 2 minutes from a Metro Station, within walking distance to Penn Station (Amtrak to NY, D.C.; MARC), close to Mount Vernon, close to the University of Baltimore (with its soon-to-open apartments and Barnes and Noble), close to lots of restaurants.

Symphony Center Apartment Homes: Baltimore, Maryland

Old 02-07-2010, 11:37 AM

thanks for all the info, any ideas for the Railway Loft building by Penn Station, it is another option for me to consider?
thanks again for all the help, I have never done this before and it really informative.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:55 PM

Default Comparison shopping

I have not been to either the Symphony building (seen it from the outside, though) or the Railroad Express (ditto. But given a choice between the two I would hear music rather than the trains that go underneath the latter at all hours. Also, Symphony has an adjoining parking garage and, I noticed and approved, a generator which would come in handy in any blackout. Also, Symphony is totally modern and is likely to have less street noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: