Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
His statement isn't rude. It's actually factual. Gov. perry has been hosting these events for awhile now. Nothing wrong with being a Christian and believing in God but let's not forget the separtion of church and state.

Texas governor asks Americans to pray to Jesus | 89.3 KPCC
Hi, Jonjj. Although I am not very religious myself anymore, I just don't accept belittling people based on their religion. However, I couldn't agree more with you about the separation of church and state, and I honestly didn't know about Perry's pray-for-rain meetings. So thanks for the update in that regard.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:22 PM

554 posts, read 608,577 times
[quote=Zea mays;20163824]LOL, that will be the day.

Actually, for several days last week, it was over 100 degrees in Baltimore, and never went above 98 in Houston.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:28 PM

554 posts, read 608,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
His statement isn't rude. It's actually factual. Gov. perry has been hosting these events for awhile now. Nothing wrong with being a Christian and believing in God but let's not forget the separtion of church and state.
No one I know pays any attention to what Rick Perry does. I hardly ever discuss politics with people, but regardless, Harris County is about as Democrat as they come (except for Austin); Houston didn't elect a lesbian mayor with the support of Perry republicans.

All I know is, the economy is humming along here, taxes are low, I'm making much more money than I did in Baltimore, the city is clean, there is ample culture, and the people are friendly. And nobody is forcing me to go to church on Sunday. C'est la vie.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:48 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Americans are told we should have more open honest discussions about race but when that happens that charges of racism usually fly pretty quickly shutting down any real discussion.
I found the OPs observation about black youth in Baltimore to be refreshingly honest and he pulled no punches. I think it applies other places as well.
Regardless, violent people suck and as I get older my tolerance for being around or near them is about at zero, whether they are young urban blacks, or rednecks in old beat up pickup trucks. Curse all of them.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
[quote=sibelian;20174995]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
LOL, that will be the day.

Actually, for several days last week, it was over 100 degrees in Baltimore, and never went above 98 in Houston.
Baltimore's average temps can be found at the bottom of the page:

baltimore average temperature - Bing Weather

And for Houstons:

houston average temperature - Bing Weather

As I mentioned earlier, I am happy for you that you have found your peace in Houston. I have been to Houston a few times. I'll stick to Baltimore.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:21 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Americans are told we should have more open honest discussions about race but when that happens that charges of racism usually fly pretty quickly shutting down any real discussion.
I found the OPs observation about black youth in Baltimore to be refreshingly honest and he pulled no punches. I think it applies other places as well.
Regardless, violent people suck and as I get older my tolerance for being around or near them is about at zero, whether they are young urban blacks, or rednecks in old beat up pickup trucks. Curse all of them.

Your statement, "I found the OPs observation about Black youth in Baltimore to be refreshingly honest and he pulled no punches".

You left out a key word---SOME----. That is why topics of race can turn into charges of racism. There are tons of great Black kids in Baltimore who are struggling with crime and issues associated with that much more than the average white guy/gal. Many of them are in the direct line of fire. And when a person makes a generality of any race, it's not going to fly.

And that was my issue with the OP's initial opinions. I am not doubting for a second that he had issues in Baltimore. But, those issues are because of circumstance. Many of them were generalities. A "thug" can be found anywhere of any race. He's happier in Houston. That's great. That is what a person should do: seek to be happier. Life is short. But, to say Houston is "Heaven" without these issues is misleading. I won't comment on my feelings about it. My son lives there making a decent living. Does he like it? No. If his circumstances were to change and the right job came up, he would move elsewhere. To each his/her own.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:12 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
C'mon. I don't like much about Texas either, but this comment is just plain rude. Good grief.
As long as the religious righteous attempt to foster their beliefs on me, with regard to abortion, gay marriage, and the teaching of evolution as only a theory, I will continue to ridicule them as they deserve.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 PM

301 posts, read 570,885 times
After many years in Maryland (some of which were spent in Baltimore), we lived in Houston and now Dallas. I too love Texas- the Dallas area of it. I didn't click with Houston although it did have some appealing aspects. My biggest pet peeve is people putting TX down without ever having lived here. Some have never even visited. We don't all love or even like Rick Perry. Even those of us whom are leaning conservative. I dont plan on ever returning to MD to live but I also don't feel the need to bash it. Different things appeal to different people.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:56 AM

7,009 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
As long as the religious righteous attempt to foster their beliefs on me, with regard to abortion, gay marriage, and the teaching of evolution as only a theory, I will continue to ridicule them as they deserve.
Ah yes, but evolution is just a theory....just like gravity, quantum mechanics, special relativity, etc. Evolution happens to be a very good theory. It matches up well with what scientists find in the fields of paleontology and genetics.

The misconception is that just because evolution is a "theory" means it isn't or shouldn't be accepted as the best explanation scientists currently have for how life developed on earth. Everything in science is a a theory. That is what science powerful, nothing is ever accepted as a closed case. Any experiment or discovery that casts doubt on a current theory leads to the theory being changed to accomidate the new information, or discarded in favor of a new theory. This has happened with evolution many times. Steven Jay Gould's ideas about "punctuated equilibrium" being among the first that come to mind. If and when creationists can form a theory better than evolution to explain the development of life on earth, I will be more than happy to listen.

Last edited by westsideboy; 07-27-2011 at 08:58 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 06:05 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
Quote:
Interesting idea that someone who disagrees with your opinions deserves to be ridiculed. Why would this be so? Appeal to ridicule is one of the classical logical fallacies, is it not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore