Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 07:34 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,422,588 times

Advertisements

When people leave Baltimore for school or military, come back to Baltimore it's like...WTF???!!!

Old 02-25-2014, 12:58 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I would never bump threads that are 28 months old....
......I just put them in the back of the closet.
This thread appears timely because more people are leaving Baltimore currently.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:43 PM

777 posts, read 881,278 times
Please just go!!!!

Old 02-26-2014, 05:50 AM

5 posts, read 8,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthhurtswhenspoken View Post
I have to agree with the first writer. Baltimore is not a city that I want to return to at any point. I lived there for five long years and conducted business there for thirteen years. I encountered a high level of ignorance. Poverty, lack of education, crime, drugs, and much more. The school system is poor, parks are not nice, and most places are dangerous. I would not recommend moving to Baltimore. The population is decreasing for a reason. People are leaving. High taxes, electric bills, and other major issues. I am Black. First time that I was called a ****** was in Baltimore. Racial tension is still present. Please move and don't turn back.
This post is everything, i was naive as hell when moving to baltimore...went to UMBC hated it due to how ignorant, rude, superficial and stuck up everyone was and got crappy grades as a result of being isolated for the most part, i lucked out and got a job at hopkins and moved to the city thinking i had really doen something because i'm from the eastern shore and always wanted to live in a city but i soon relaized baltimore wasn't(and continues to be) nothing special. people love to bash the eastern shore as being country and podunk but i've encountered more racism here than ever on the eastern shore. i'm done school in a year and i can't WAIT to get out.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:56 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post

People have been leaving Baltimore City since 1960, when it began its population downfall. Are you saying that more people are leaving now that have been leaving? I thought that wonderful mayor was going to turn things around and increase the population of the city.

Last edited by james777; 02-26-2014 at 01:42 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 01:50 PM

64 posts, read 123,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
People have been leaving Baltimore City since 1960, when it began its population downfall. Are you saying that more people are leaving now that have been leaving? I thought that wonderful mayor was going to turn things around and increase the population of the city.

Wonderful mayor? No

Population increase? Yes--despite the mayor

Old 02-26-2014, 02:48 PM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post

The question often comes up on WHO is leaving Baltimore. In the past its been the middle class.. now I believe its more the poor and low income invididuals seeking better opportunties in the Counties or out of state. It seems that more younger and middle to higher income folks are moving in given the level of development around the Harbor and some of the waterfront communities.. while places like West Baltimore, East Baltimore and Park Heights continue to empty out....

Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Yes in my experience and while living there, quite a few families left. I wish Da Mayor luck in getting those 10K families.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:14 PM

170 posts, read 345,925 times
Wow, was doing research for my upcoming move to B'mor and came upon this very complex thread. I have never seen this kind of racial tension (Manhattan-ite here, also west coast and Durham NC!) and the historical information really helps clarify the richness of B'mor but the painful racial stuff. Who can answer this: Realtors tell me that they are not permitted by law to tell house hunters (such as myself) about crime stat sites such as spotcrime.com (amazing site) along with dpscs.state.md.us and nsopr.gov Thus, I am left to reinvent the wheel until I discover these on my own. Then they are permitted to refer to them. Really? Not one realtor has directed me to these sites. Any advice? Want to live here but now I'm getting pretty shy about the prospects. Thanks!

Old 02-27-2014, 01:49 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingBackEast View Post
Wow, was doing research for my upcoming move to B'mor and came upon this very complex thread. I have never seen this kind of racial tension (Manhattan-ite here, also west coast and Durham NC!) and the historical information really helps clarify the richness of B'mor but the painful racial stuff. Who can answer this: Realtors tell me that they are not permitted by law to tell house hunters (such as myself) about crime stat sites such as spotcrime.com (amazing site) along with dpscs.state.md.us and nsopr.gov Thus, I am left to reinvent the wheel until I discover these on my own. Then they are permitted to refer to them. Really? Not one realtor has directed me to these sites. Any advice? Want to live here but now I'm getting pretty shy about the prospects. Thanks!
I was told the same thing by my realtor. You have to get a feel for yourself by pretending that you live at a property by walking the neighborhood or driving around or transit (if that will be your transportation mode) at both day and night. Do it a few times and you'll pretty much get the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore