Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 10:38 AM

390 posts, read 505,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sax33 View Post
Why are you telling us this? Baltimore does have a fairly large black population right? And Baltimore is one of the most poverty stricken cities on the east coast right? Taxes and cost of living are somewhat elevated compared to most people's income right? Considering all these factors you would probably have the same experiences with whites,latinos,asian in the city if these races had the largest population in the city.
I am so sick of the entire black population being judged by the actions of a few. You said yourself that the blacks you work with are nothing like the experiences you had in the city. I lived in Florida for 10 years and most of the registered sex offenders were white men most of the people who kidnapped white kids in the state of Florida are white men!!! But I dont think all white men are child predators and that is not the reason I left Florida!!
I think you are using these experiences to justify you being a racist Good Luck in your new city!!
Nowhere did he imply that the entire Black population of America was this way. He merely stated that he dreads the low class and obnoxious people of Baltimore, which just happens to be predominantly Blacks.

Have you been in on the DC Metro lately? Lots of loud, attention seeking, stupid kids riding home from school. And most of these turds happens to be Black. Everyone around them is disgusted, including all the Black adults commuters who are both disgusted and embarrassed (b/c they share the same skin color). Not sure why you get so offended, b/c you know it's true.

All of those crimes in Florida that you've cited are exactly that, SERIOUS CRIMES. They are felonies. This guy is talking about going about his daily life and encountering so many rude people in Baltimore who just happens to be Black. If he wanted to use CRIME as a criteria for getting the hell out of Baltimore....then holy cow, would he have a good point.

If White people were behaving this way towards you in Florida, then go ahead and tell us about it. I'm fine with you pointing out the offenders' skin color. But I highly doubt that you can point out any large city that's predominantly low class Whites who behaves like these rude Blacks from Baltimore.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:15 AM

14 posts, read 32,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I have a similar story as the OP and am taking similar action. The difference is that I lived a fair amount of my life in the DC area part of Maryland (Prince Georges County to be exact). And to be honest, the segregation over here, while hardly compares to that of Baltimore, is very intolerable, particularly towards blacks. And the racism over here is more covert and subtle than in the Baltimore area. I, being black myself, have faced contempt from "both sides" as well, but it isn't a "white vs black" society but an "everyone vs blacks" scenario. The urban & youth blacks in Prince Georges County (especially inside I-495) are some of the most intolerant, crime-embracing, thug-loving group of people I've ever seen. And if you're a black person who's upstanding, educated, and non-ghetto, most of the blacks - teens and adults - will treat you worse than a rapist, murderer, or child molester.

The reason I find the situation a bit worse on my side is that PG has a fair amount of wealth, particularly outside of the beltway. But even the ghetto attitudes seep into some of those neighborhoods, while Baltimore itself is very cash-stripped from a lack of upper-wealth residents. For this reason, I can see why the city of Baltimore and its schools are in dire shape, but the excuses that Baltimore has, PG doesn't, but it still has a lot of problems that Baltimore has. And personally, I think the blacks from Baltimore are more upstanding and less belligerent than the blacks from PG County. Most of the blacks from Baltimore come from poor backgrounds but try to make their lives better, or at the least don't mess with people unprovoked. As for PG County, most of its residents excuse - and sometimes embrace - the degenerate and ghetto attitudes as "black culture." A lot of people may credit that to many lower income blacks coming from DC in recent years, but as of late, the poor blacks in DC don't show as much unruly and ghetto attitudes as blacks from PG County.

As for the racial attitudes, I've attended the state's flagship university after transferring from a less diverse university in Pennsylvania, so I do have a taste of the attitudes throughout Maryland (as well as most of the Northeastern US). And the racist attitudes were something I faced from the first semester there to my graduation, something I barely faced at my former "less diverse" university. To give credit, it was from all sides, but it didn't matter to me, as I was basically left out of many social cliques for either being a particular race, not being a particular race, or not acting on the stereotypes of a particular race. Whether it was the overt racist attitudes from peers of rural Maryland counties, the polite racism from peers of suburban Baltimore cities, the internal prejudice of racial militants from peers of Prince Georges, or the Faux Diversity, negrophobic-specific covert 21st century racism of peers from "liberal" Montgomery, it was more than enough to give me a permanent and pessimistic taste of how most of Maryland's future race relations would be like. There were those who were genuinely open-minded, but they were in the very minority in number. And the rest of Marylanders I've dealt with, a number slightly higher than the amount of racists, were just plain anal, arrogant a**holes.

The point is that the racial attitudes that all of you talk about in Baltimore, I've seen it throughout Maryland, and yes, it appears worse than EITHER of its major bordering states to the North and South (but Philadelphia area might match the racial tension of Baltimore). For example, Montgomery County, while affluent, liberal, and not as racist as most of Maryland, seems to have a fair amount of ethnic self-segregation. The segregating attitudes is something that I've personally notice that it's "counterpart county" of Fairfax in Virginia doesn't have.
I agree 100%!!! I was born in DC and grew up in PG County. An awful part of PG County. Honestly, Baltimore City is a bike ride compared to parts of PG.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:52 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,104 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by beka767 View Post
I agree 100%!!! I was born in DC and grew up in PG County. An awful part of PG County. Honestly, Baltimore City is a bike ride compared to parts of PG.

I see what you're saying..somebody from bmore city wouldndt be used to pg county but vise versa....bmore crime is concentrated to the city but "around the way" its more spread out over a wider area u dig?

@The Fairfaxian you're saying the AA's in Baltimore City are more upstanding than the AA's in PG county .................................................. ...........................................thats your personal bias as a fairfaxian against Pg....go live in bmore for 7 years and come back to me with that statement

Old 06-07-2010, 06:13 PM

14 posts, read 32,279 times
Yeah, I think It's really about knowing the neighborhoods. All the areas that have been discussed in this thread have good parts and bad parts. I lived in a not-so-fun part of PG (Landover Hills/Riverdale). I lived in a mediocre part of DC (Columbia Heights). But I live in (what I consider to be) a relatively lovely and safe part of Baltimore (Fells Point). So in a way, everyone is right. Some parts a great, some parts not so much. God I don't miss the politicos in DC though. Whew. And I will never send my kids to PG County schools.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:19 PM

554 posts, read 608,382 times
I'm the original poster. Just an update .... I'm moving to Houston at the end of June. I've spent quite a bit of time there since I posted, and I think I'm really going to enjoy living there. Houston is very diverse, and I find the people to be very friendly. Of course, time will tell. For now, though, I'm just psyched to finally be leaving Charm City ... a misnomer if there ever was one.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:09 AM

775 posts, read 1,784,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
I'm the original poster. Just an update .... I'm moving to Houston at the end of June. I've spent quite a bit of time there since I posted, and I think I'm really going to enjoy living there. Houston is very diverse, and I find the people to be very friendly. Of course, time will tell. For now, though, I'm just psyched to finally be leaving Charm City ... a misnomer if there ever was one.
Congratulations and good luck.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:23 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,592,508 times
Not sure I would congratulate someone on a move to Houston. Boston, NY-yes.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:08 PM

72 posts, read 135,468 times
I've just finished reading the entire thread and I feel sick to my stomach. I was seriously considering purchasing a loft around the harbor area. No thank you..., I'll stay in Nova.

I realize that every city has poverty stricken areas and crime, but from my understanding it's uncontrollable in Baltimore. I don't want to experience hatred from low income blacks, because I'm college educated and financially secure. Similarly, I don't want to experience hatred from whites, simply because they assume every black person shares the same viewpoints.

No thank you. The property by the harbor is beautiful, but in the long run, it's just not worth the hassle and tension.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,592,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
I've just finished reading the entire thread and I feel sick to my stomach. I was seriously considering purchasing a loft around the harbor area. No thank you..., I'll stay in Nova.

I realize that every city has poverty stricken areas and crime, but from my understanding it's uncontrollable in Baltimore. I don't want to experience hatred from low income blacks, because I'm college educated and financially secure. Similarly, I don't want to experience hatred from whites, simply because they assume every black person shares the same viewpoints.

No thank you. The property by the harbor is beautiful, but in the long run, it's just not worth the hassle and tension.

You came to this conclusion from one site on the web with no first-hand experience. Wow! The power of the internet.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:23 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,061 times
Not only that, but from a notoriously negative website! I wonder if she really has a college degree...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore