Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 01:44 PM

29 posts, read 75,110 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Baltimore to work at the Shock Trauma Center. I am a physician.

These post make it seem that Baltimore is full of crime.

Where is it safe to live? I heard catonsville area, roland park and north of that. Is it safe to go into the city for fun?

Please help. Should I even move here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 02:18 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Havre de Grace (bulle rock) or Ann Arundel area

Old 02-28-2010, 03:11 PM

10 posts, read 44,486 times
Hi Xigris,

I actually moved here about a year ago, I know when you read these forums it seems pretty scary, and it becomes pretty difficult to choose a place. I would recommend you take a look at the Mt. Washington area. I have lived here for almost a year and am pretty happy.

It's not that far from the city about 15-20 minutes to Shock Trauma, UMMC.

Like your name, after the drug? I actually am a pharmacist that works in STC.

Good luck w/ your search, and let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:35 PM

126 posts, read 381,704 times
Yes it is safe to go into the city for fun.

Catonsville is a good community to live in with quick access to the Baltimore Beltway and major interstates and downtown B-more. 15 minute commute to Shock Trauma via rt 144 Frederick rd or 695 to 95 to 395 to MLK blvd.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:15 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,058 times
Default Mount Washington

I, too, vote for Mount Washington. You just zip on Jones Falls Expressway to Hopkins. It is also possible to drive to a Metro station and take it right to Hopkins; in fact, one subterranean corridor leads straight to the hospital.
Mount Washington also is close to Roland Park, in case some of your new friends live there.
http://www.mtwpost.com

Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,359 times
This is my best advice about Baltimore that I've given a few times... Baltimore is liveable if you have a good reason to be here such as a job or family but its not a place I would choose to live if I had a lot of other options and no specific reason to come.

You can live in the city if you want, there are about a half dozen or so neighborhoods that you will be fine in. If you can live in those areas, you can certainly visit them for fun as well. I live in Federal Hill and work at UMMC, its about 10-15 minutes door to door, most of which is spent getting a parking spot in the garage. I always feel safe where I live, although I wouldn't say I'm always "happy" with where I live.

Catonsville is alright, but its a little sketchy in parts from what I've seen. I wouldn't consider it uniformly nice. Columbia and Ellicott City are pretty nice and reasonable suburbs to look at if that's what you want. There are in the same general area as Catonsville but a little further out in Howard County. Anne Arundel county also has some nice communities. Roland park and some surronding areas like Mt. Washington are pretty nice as well. There's plenty of places that you can live, just depends specifically what you are looking for and how close you want to be to work.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,846 times
Think about Locust Point as an alternative if you are interested in City Living with safety(relative).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore