Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 9,263 times

Advertisements

Spoiler
Hello there in California! Currently, I live in Catonsville and LOVE it! Besides that, I grew up right around the corner and can offer you much insight. Get in touch. I'd love to help you in any way that I can. I am a real estate agent as well. Are you currently working with an agent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 11:40 PM

332 posts, read 1,275,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
I lived in Catonsville for 14yrs and when I first moved there, it was nice and not a lot of crime, traffic. Now, the area has changed. More traffic, higher taxes, crime and not to clean. It's still a pretty safe area for the most part.
I am planning on moving within the year though. Need to find a bigger house and a bigger lot.

My family lives in Ellicott City which is a nice area. Little pricy but nice. Columbia is nice but taxes are a bit high.

Owings Mills, Towson, Randlestown areas are nice.

Good luck.
FYI, taxes are the same throughout Howard County. You may have to pay a CPRA/HOA fee, which differs by neighborhood.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:35 AM

16 posts, read 31,424 times
Tallybalt wrote:
"Columbia is unique, however, and has a strong community organisation"

could you' Tallybalt, or anyone, please xplain the meaning of "strong community organisation". i am LAWFUL permanent resident, going-to-be citizen, doing my best to understand.

i crossed America from Maine on the East to Oregon on the West, driving hwy 70.
spent long periods of time in a few states... became sick on the way, and this experience opened my eyes to understand that it could be fantastic to live in the area of one of the world's top hospitals - Johns Hopkins. and to be near doctors that were trained in that hospital.

Columbia is not to far from Johns Hopkins, but "strong community organisation"... hmmm... Help!
thank you!

Old 08-15-2010, 04:30 PM

48 posts, read 186,012 times
I live in Catonsville, didn't know about the shooting. Scary that is was outside the beltway. I don't see Catonsville falling. There isn't a better location in Baltimore IMO. 10 minutes you're in the city, and 40 minutes from downtown DC. Also, it's perfect for the traffic backups.

Catonsville might be under assault but there's no where else to go and it's just too valuable.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:09 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,456,700 times
What the hell are you people talking about? Catonsville going down and being crime ridden? The Schools being bad? You guys are ridiculous.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:23 PM

59 posts, read 167,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
What the hell are you people talking about? Catonsville going down and being crime ridden? The Schools being bad? You guys are ridiculous.
21228 is a big ZIP code, and that generalization does apply to part of it. Anything north of 40 is zoned for Woodlawn High School. The average SAT score there is 1154, and that's for all three sections -- not just verbal and math. The crime stats for that area aren't great either. And while that's "not really Catonsville," the area east of Walmart is, as are Ingleside Lane and Winters Lane. The security doors and bars on windows in those areas speak volumes.

BUT...

That's not all of Catonsville, or even most of it. There are some beautiful, huge old houses to be found there, as well as quintessential suburban neighborhoods and "starter homes" (mostly rowhouses). The high school is socioeconomically diverse and solid. Downtown doesn't have much to offer if you're not a musician, but it is walkable. The area off Frederick and South Rolling Roads, near Patapsco State Park, looks like something out of a postcard. And yet the town remains underrated and overlooked in favor of Ellicott City/Columbia (especially for people who work in/around DC) or Towson/Timonium/Hunt Valley -- none of which are perfect or immune from crime themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore