U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,378 times

Advertisements

Hi, We're just moving to the area and we were looking at Ellicott City. What do people think about the people that live there? What are your general impressions? Just wondering b/c I could be making this up, but people don't seem to want to talk to me much after I tell them we are looking there. I appreciate your honesty!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 12:28 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,717,559 times
It's the ONLY suburb I would consider moving to around the Baltimore area. That may sound presumptious but it's the way I feel. No other area offers anything that decent within a relatively short drive.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:42 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,679,701 times
Maybe they just don't know it. I found that when I was looking a lot of people said "oh, I have a friend in Baltimore" and when I'd talk to the friend I'd find that they just weren't familiar with the western suburbs. They'd know their section of Baltimore, and that was it. And fair enough, all I know at this point is my small corner of Howard County.

So far, Ellicott City is less snobby than I feared (though admittedly I'm in the lower-rent section near Columbia) and has a lot more international than I expected (love the ethnic markets). There isn't a lot on this board. Even though it's food based, I've learned more from howchow.blogspot.com. I also actually found Wikipedia fairly informative.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,674 times
Ellicott City is a great place to live. It is frequently highly rated by Money Magazine etc., and is one of the top five median income Counties in the nation. But it is not just "ratings" good, it is actually great! That said, I have lived here since 1991 and was a County police officer for 20 years and am now a realtor in the area. Of course everyone is looking for something different, but there is almost no way to go wrong choosing Ellicott City.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:14 PM

569 posts, read 1,309,649 times
Ellicott City has great Asian food stores and restaurants.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:32 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,348,735 times
EC is arguably (and in my opinion) the nicest Baltimore burb. Home prices are high as a result. It also has a nice "historic" area. Demographics are mostly white but there is also a fairly large Asian population. Everyone says the schools in Howard County are good, so I assume its true but I don't have details or specifics to support that claim.

Since I think you have some concern about this... as with any nice location, there will be people who label EC "snobby" because they can't afford to live there. Honestly, I don't think any place in the Baltimore metro area is exclusive enough to be called snobby but its all relative I guess since a lot of the Baltimore area is a total dump.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:53 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,207,472 times
Historic Ellicott City or the suburban areas around it? The EC post address name covers a good chuck of territory that runs from the old village to townhouses and apartments to large McMansions on several acres.

Altogether it's a pleasant place and feeds into the fabled Howard County Schools. If you want a suburban cul-de-sac environment yet close to a historic village, I can't argue with Ellicott City even though I would personally prefer other suburban areas.

Someone above is correct: people who live in Baltimore and Baltimore County rarely factor Howard County as part of the Baltimore area. Howard is geographically close to Baltimore and Ellicott City is almost the same distance from downtown as Towson is, but because of how the streets in Baltimore are oriented leading out of the city, and particularly the interstates, there's no direct access route into Howard County, and as a consequence most of Baltimore and its suburbs rarely venture into Howard County.

If the I-70 extension into downtown had ever been completed, this scenario would probably be very different.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:36 AM

17 posts, read 56,151 times
Great choice. You are close to so much. Tons of restaraunts, Historic EC, Columbia Mall, DC, Balto City. Is the location based on work location ?

Old 03-22-2010, 11:18 AM

683 posts, read 1,951,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Historic Ellicott City or the suburban areas around it? The EC post address name covers a good chuck of territory that runs from the old village to townhouses and apartments to large McMansions on several acres.

Altogether it's a pleasant place and feeds into the fabled Howard County Schools. If you want a suburban cul-de-sac environment yet close to a historic village, I can't argue with Ellicott City even though I would personally prefer other suburban areas.

Someone above is correct: people who live in Baltimore and Baltimore County rarely factor Howard County as part of the Baltimore area. Howard is geographically close to Baltimore and Ellicott City is almost the same distance from downtown as Towson is, but because of how the streets in Baltimore are oriented leading out of the city, and particularly the interstates, there's no direct access route into Howard County, and as a consequence most of Baltimore and its suburbs rarely venture into Howard County.

If the I-70 extension into downtown had ever been completed, this scenario would probably be very different.
144, 40, 95, rte 1 all go into baltimore

Old 03-23-2010, 02:45 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,207,472 times
None offer direct access to downtown with the exception of I-95, and the bulk of Ellicott City and Columbia are not right off I-95 and require additional connector roads to reach your house. Plus approaching Baltimore on I-95 from the south isn't as convenient as from the north due to the limited frequency of freeway exits and the placement of downtown and the Hopkins hospital complex (the two large employment centers in Baltimore) north of the harbor, requiring navigating cumbersome urban traffic to cut through the city.

If you look at the map of Baltimore and its suburbs, the city and the Baltimore County suburbs are all handily placed for one another. Towson, White Marsh, Owings Mills, Pikesville, downtown and Dundalk/Essex all have easy access to the beltway, allowing for relatively direct commuting between these places. Howard County, on the other hand, is almost literally cut off. The Patapsco park forms a bulwark between Howard County and the rest of the Baltimore region and all roads leading into Howard County from the beltway including Route 40 and 1 are local roads with multiple traffic lights. Route 70 is the one exception, but once 70 hits the beltway it doesn't feed into any regional job center and 70 itself is not lined with office complexes or malls and has only a handful of exits feeding into Howard County.

Howard County is convenient for people working along I-95, particularly the Fort Meade corridor, and commuting from DC, but not so much from Baltimore and the rest of north central Maryland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
144, 40, 95, rte 1 all go into baltimore

Last edited by Tallybalt; 03-23-2010 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore