Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 6,491 times

Advertisements

Ahoy,
I now live in South Carolina. I have been offered my "dream job" in Baltimore. It doesn't pay well (21,000) a year. I am not liking what I am seeing here on forum. Tough call on this one. I have wanted this type of work for a very long time (reading my screen name should give a hint to the type of job it is) All I know of Baltimore is its history and what is posted here. I would like to hear from people. I don't want to uproot my whole life and find out I hate the place. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to turn down this job based on incomplete information. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 11:15 AM

Oh, I should add that I was born and raised in Newport, RI, so I'm use to the cold weather.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:20 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,359 times
How old are you and how tied to your current community are you?

For a young single person, moving to Baltimore for 21k a year is probably fine... get some roommates off Craigslist or something. If it doesn't work out, who cares... plenty of time to move back home and start over.

For an older person with a family, I think you'd be nuts to consider it.

The weather here isn't a big issue unless you are used to living in the Bahamas or something. The issues are crime, urban poverty, drugs, trash, cost of living (which isn't awful compared to say NYC or DC but will be rough on 21k), etc. Baltimore has some redeeming qualities for sure, but the negatives are pretty big negatives.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 AM

Default Thanks Bong

I have a wife, but no children. I'm not very tied to South Carolina, but I do own my home.
[SIZE=3]Yes, from what I am reading, racism, poverty and crime are the big “issues” in Baltimore. This is a very hard choice to make and I sincerely thank you for your input. [/SIZE]

Old 03-10-2010, 02:40 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Born in Newport eh? There's money up there. 21K doesn't take you very far around here. You may want to stay in SC: it's cheaper. But, if the money is not a concern, give it a shot. If you hate it, well, there's always another offer out there.
In terms of the forum being a bit negative, yes, I agree with you. But, there are other sources you should investigate before making a decision. Don't rely solely on one forum for information.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:54 PM

126 posts, read 381,704 times
Quote:
Yes, from what I am reading, racism, poverty and crime are the big “issues” in Baltimore
Baltimore is an American city, they all have these problems. Personally I would never move back to the B-more area but for other reasons than mentioned above.

21K is a pauper's wage in that area.

Speaking as an old guy, DO IT! if this is your 'dream' job. No regrets, it's not a cliche', you DO only have 1 life, live it!!. If you are a competent sailor you might be able to pick up some other 'nautical' work at a marina or in Annapolis.

BTW, you do not have to live in the city. There are some decent suburban communities within quick driving distance to downtown.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:41 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,811 times
If you are a sailor (?) the Chesapeake Bay is one of the great sailing areas in the US, which you no doubt already know.

There is a strong sailing community based in and around Baltimore. Marinas aplenty in the inner harbor and the surrounding rivers. If you are young, there are numerous downtown neighborhoods along the waterfront that are popular with young urban professionals: Canton, Federal Hill, Fell's Point, Locust Point and Brewer's Hill. Most of these people are very happy. Two big sailing clubs operate out of the Inner Harbor - the Downtown Sailing Club and another organization whose name escapes me at the moment.

Baltimore is not Charleston, but it is a great city in its own way.

If you can, come for a weekend visit, meet the people you would work with and explore the waterfront neighborhoods. I doubt you will be disappointed.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:46 PM

119 posts, read 313,061 times
Rats big enough to eat a dog and roaches cover your floors when the lights go out. Not to mention all the violent crimes. 20,000 will get you into the ghettos of Baltimore and electric bills out of this world. I was born and raised there when it was a nicer place to live but wouldn`t wish it on my worse enemy now. Don`t do that to you wife.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:23 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,359 times
Baltimore isn't the greatest city in america as the slogan on the benches here would have you believe, but its not the worst either. It has more than the average share of problems, but its still livable if you have a reason to be here and stick the nice areas.

Unfortunately, the nicer areas aren't cheap and I think your biggest problem will be financial. 21k isn't going to get you anything livable inside or outside the city... you'd be in the hood and still struggling to make ends meet. If you can live modestly in like a 1 bedroom apartment and your wife is working making reasonable money... its probably doable.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 AM

8 posts, read 14,500 times
Hello Sailor!

Not to long ago I accepted (something like) my dream job in Baltimore too. Like you the bad press Baltimore gets had me questioning how wise this decision was. However, I have since been in contact with several locals (including those on this forum) who cannot go further to help me. I dont know alot about how great your house will be for that money but if your partner gets a job im guessing you guys could easily live in a small place in a nice area. What I decided was that ultimately the quality of your life (in any city) will be decided by the people you surround yourself with and whether or not you can look forward to getting up every morning to go into work. Alot of people, all over the world, find reasons to complain about where they live but stay put! Why not visit and see how safe you feel?

Good luck,

Dublin1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: