Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:49 AM

805 posts, read 2,114,714 times

Advertisements

I tired Clear and it wasn't fast for me but I was able to return the Modem and didn't have to pay anything. I returned everything after 5 days and they have a 14 day trial period. It was easy to try so I recommend checking them out.

I ended up getting Verizon DSL which is ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 03:54 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,538 times
Clear is great. You cannot expect 20-30Mbs down like on Comcast, BUT you cannot drag your Comcast cable line with you when you travel to other cities, or riding the train (with Clear you just pop in your USB modem and go). I dropped Comcast and went with Sprint Xohm/Clear (Sprint is the majority owner of Clear -- I only mention that since there's some misinformation here about the Clear-Sprint relationship). There are no longterm contracts either.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 AM

152 posts, read 487,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corman842 View Post
Hi,
I'm moving to a new part of town, and need to set up internet service. I've been looking around, and have been having trouble finding anyone other than Comcast that services my part of town. I'll be moving to Barre Circle, out by Pigtown. Is Comcast the only game in town, or are there other options? I don't plan on having cable, so Comcast seems a little impracticle as all their listed prices (which are already kind of high, unless you get the economy service) are only for cable or voice customers anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The promotional prices listed by Comcast are also available for Internet-only subscribers. Their website says otherwise, but I know several people that have gotten the promotional pricing and the price ($45/month for 20gb service) supposedly only available to cable subscribers. Getting 20gb service for $45/month is a pretty good deal, and much better than the spotty service you'll get with Clear or a local wireless internet provider. Just get Comcast.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 AM

43 posts, read 141,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Clear is great. You cannot expect 20-30Mbs down like on Comcast, BUT you cannot drag your Comcast cable line with you when you travel to other cities, or riding the train (with Clear you just pop in your USB modem and go). I dropped Comcast and went with Sprint Xohm/Clear (Sprint is the majority owner of Clear -- I only mention that since there's some misinformation here about the Clear-Sprint relationship). There are no longterm contracts either.
These guys had set up a booth on Thames & Broadway a few weeks ago.

I wish I had stopped by. I'm thinking of giving it a try for the convenience of having a 4G wireless connection anywhere.

Does anyone else have any actual experience with Clear?

From what I remember seeing--and what you say--it looks like a USB drive.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:11 AM

43 posts, read 141,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaintpancake View Post
These guys had set up a booth on Thames & Broadway a few weeks ago.

I wish I had stopped by. I'm thinking of giving it a try for the convenience of having a 4G wireless connection anywhere.

Does anyone else have any actual experience with Clear?

From what I remember seeing--and what you say--it looks like a USB drive.
I'm going to go ahead and follow up on this myself.

I went to Best Buy (inner harbor) and picked up a Clear modem. It's slighter bigger than the size of a USB flash drive. The 'installation fee' (which there was none-very easy to do alone) was waived. The service is $40+$4 (modem rental). Purchasing the modem was $90 bucks, opted not to do that.

The service has been great so far. I live in fells point. I ran a bandwidth test that showed 12.5mbps download and about 550k upload. Definitely more than enough for me.

I'm not sure how far out 4G network works from the city, but I'm going to give that a try.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:42 AM

25 posts, read 40,863 times
Can you hook the modem up to a router and share the connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaintpancake View Post
I'm going to go ahead and follow up on this myself.

I went to Best Buy (inner harbor) and picked up a Clear modem. It's slighter bigger than the size of a USB flash drive. The 'installation fee' (which there was none-very easy to do alone) was waived. The service is $40+$4 (modem rental). Purchasing the modem was $90 bucks, opted not to do that.

The service has been great so far. I live in fells point. I ran a bandwidth test that showed 12.5mbps download and about 550k upload. Definitely more than enough for me.

I'm not sure how far out 4G network works from the city, but I'm going to give that a try.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:39 PM

252 posts, read 425,161 times
Yes, it looks like you can with the Hub or Spot

4G Wireless Internet Devices with Mobile WiMAX | Clear.com

Old 08-06-2012, 11:36 PM

167 posts, read 426,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oulous View Post
Can you hook the modem up to a router and share the connection?
I believe that the "modem with wifi" is the hub that you want. I initially had a hard time telling the difference because there's nothing within the listed specs that made one device better for my application than the other, aside from the device's title.

After a few months of unreliable DSL connectivity and consistently long hold times with Verizon's call center, I ordered a Clear hub express over their web site. I figure that I'd use Clear as a back-up connection until I could cancel DSL (and the remainder of my wired phone service, if everything worked out) later this year. The company used its express service to deliver the product.

Two days after the order, their estimate of delivery, I realized I had received nothing. Hmm.

Their web site says that the best way to contact them is via chat, 24-7 I believe. So around 11:30p, I jump on. The window pops up, but I receive no greeting of any kind. even after typing a few phrases and waiting.

The next day I use their second preferred method of contact, through their webmail system. I wait three days for a reply, and I get nothing. Ohboy.

I don't typically like calling customer service lines, especially tech-related ones. If you're reading this, you already know why. Over the next ten days of paid service without a box to access it:

1) I learn that someone managed to grab the box and resell it, and the company was seeking my permission to activate the service in someone else's name. They repeat this upon every contact.

2) I tell them that the box was stolen, a loss claim should be filed with the delivery carrier, and the hub should be bricked (made unusable by anyone).

3) The fourth attempt at contact with their customer service dept. is a request for a status concerning my situation. I'm wondering whether I'd have to file a police report (I doubt that finding a $50 hub is much of a priority to the Baltimore police, even when the item is inherently more traceable than other goods) and dispute the charge with my credit company to get something moving.

The company agrees to ship another box to me, and credits to my account the unused days of service.

I've picked the lowest tier of internet service from Clear. Although I don't live in the most optimal part of town to pick up their tower signal (two or three out of five dots on the hub), the service (4G) does appear to be faster than my current lowest-tier DSL service. I have 100% uptime with Clear.

For now I have redundant service, which is cool. I'd rather have one reliable pipe to the internet. (T1s are still out of my range, aaarrrggghhhh!!)

Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times
Default The way it is

My Comcast internet is getting worse every day. Momentary interruptions throughout the day. Verizon is no alternative because I won't deal with people who are dishonest and just lost a class action suit over unauthorized third-party charges.

Clear is not an alternative, they inform me.

If we had thoughtful political leadership in this burg, we would have free wi-fi throughout the city the way Auckland, New Zealand, does. Would spur business, city residency.

Instead, we have the Grand Prix.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,796 times
Default caviler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael21214 View Post
Cavalier also serves Baltimore with local & long distance phone service and DSL.

Does anyone use them?

I currently use Verizon for DSL and phone, and I'm wondering how Cavalier DSL speeds and phone service compare. I'd like to save some money over Verizon.

I'd try VOIP but I have an older home alarm system that may not work with VOIP.
they were brought out by windstream and now cost 77 - 80.00 for internet and phone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: