Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 06:54 AM

4 posts, read 8,696 times

Advertisements

I live in Harrisburg, PA and just got a job in Baltimore (Inner Harbor) and I start June 7th. Getting married in October. My fiance works in Harrisburg. Trying to decide if we should both move close to the border so she can commute back up to Harrisburg for work and I will commute to Baltimore or if I should just move to Baltimore and then she will quit her job and move down in October and find a job then.

Any suggestion? Looking for a 2 bedroom apt./townhouse.

What's a good area? We aren't too familiar with Baltimore or north of Baltimore.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 07:49 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,708 times
Its about 80 miles between the two cities, splitting the difference puts you right around the state line. How is traffic into Harrisburg during rush hour? Is your finance planning to find another job in Baltimore or keep working in Harrisburg?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
Its about 80 miles between the two cities, splitting the difference puts you right around the state line. How is traffic into Harrisburg during rush hour? Is your finance planning to find another job in Baltimore or keep working in Harrisburg?
She doesn't work in the city so traffic shouldn't be an issue. She is going to find another job in Baltimore (or nearby). Suggestions? Thanks!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:03 AM

181 posts, read 633,673 times
A lot depends on several other factors you haven't mentioned: price you're willing to pay; love/hate of commuting; and, especially, what sort of work would she be looking for. Jobs are hard to find in the Baltimore area (with certain exceptions) due to the impact of the severe recession.

And what does "good area" mean to you two? What sort of things are you interested in or not, as far as living goes. Are you a city person or scared to death of the city, rural or suburban strip mall fanatic? Many other questions, as well.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 AM

Hunt Valley comes to mind as a place to check out. Reasonably close to Baltimore and you can use the light rail if you want to get downtown, but far enough out and well located to 83 that getting to Harrisburg will be doable.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
Hunt Valley comes to mind as a place to check out. Reasonably close to Baltimore and you can use the light rail if you want to get downtown, but far enough out and well located to 83 that getting to Harrisburg will be doable.
Thanks I was thinking about that area too...do you know of any Apt. complexes you can recommend?

Old 04-06-2010, 04:03 PM

165 posts, read 533,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linder4 View Post
I live in Harrisburg, PA and just got a job in Baltimore (Inner Harbor) and I start June 7th. Getting married in October. My fiance works in Harrisburg. Trying to decide if we should both move close to the border so she can commute back up to Harrisburg for work and I will commute to Baltimore or if I should just move to Baltimore and then she will quit her job and move down in October and find a job then.

Any suggestion? Looking for a 2 bedroom apt./townhouse.

What's a good area? We aren't too familiar with Baltimore or north of Baltimore.

Thanks!
I'd say Hunt Valley too. This is not a good time to be looking for work in Baltimore (or living for that matter). Budget cuts in public safety, recreation centers to keep youth out of trouble, etc...will eventually trickle down to all residents.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:20 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
For whatever it is worth, Rabbit Transit (the York County transit provider) has commuter buses between York and the Hunt Valley light rail station. (They also have commuter buses between York and downtown Harrisburg.) If you are willing to bite the bullet for a few months, you could continue to live in Harrisburg and do the park-and-ride thing from somewhere near York.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 PM

Not really familiar enough with Hunt Valley to provide specific recommendations. I have a friend who lives in the townhomes near Wegmens and is pretty happy with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore