Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moov View Post
the interracial couple thing is usually between a black man and a chunky white woman who has not a clue that she is only going to be used for a nut.

I've seen these things in the counties too especially PG and Montgomery Counties. I didn't say anything was wrong with it, just saying.
You've identified the steretype! Congratulations! You have identified to all of us how ignorant you are! You win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:53 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moov View Post
the interracial couple thing is usually between a black man and a chunky white woman who has not a clue that she is only going to be used for a nut.

I've seen these things in the counties too especially PG and Montgomery Counties. I didn't say anything was wrong with it, just saying.
Not during my walk through Baltimore. Most of the black males who were in interracial relationships were with decent to good looking white chicks. But then again, most of the places visited were the better neighborhoods in Baltimore. The black guy dating a fat white woman scenario is more prevalent in the lower-income socioeconomic class. Not to say Baltimore is some interracial utopia or some west coast worthy, but I was impressed with what I saw during that specific day.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:33 AM

805 posts, read 2,114,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
You've identified the steretype! Congratulations! You have identified to all of us how ignorant you are! You win!
that's funny

Old 06-11-2010, 08:26 AM

68 posts, read 271,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max The Dog View Post
I agree with the hostility part. The only population growth this city has experienced comes from yuppie areas. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.
Agreed. Someone needs to provide a tax base for paving the streets that us county folk drive on in the city daily.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 AM

8,230 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Baltimore needs more "hipsters". These are the folks that move in before the yuppies... Artist, Musicians et al.. These folk move into areas like Hampden, Charles Village, Station North/Greenmount and exist with the current denizens(i.e. urban pioneers). Eventually the yuppies see that its a 'cool' place to live (read: not so dangerous) and the yups move in and displace the hipsters. They are later joined by empty nesters and other urban retirees. The cycle then starts all over again in an adjoining hood. So the more hipsters we can get to settle across the City then the better off the city will be if this theory holds true.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:15 PM

36 posts, read 92,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Pioneer View Post
Agreed. Someone needs to provide a tax base for paving the streets that us county folk drive on in the city daily.
Oh believe me, I always get a chuckle out of cities that make it miserable for the middle and upper class and then cry when the tax base flees to the suburbs.

You put a smile on my face.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:30 AM

103 posts, read 301,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Whats wrong with Yuppies , they turn bad cities into good cities. Just look at Hoboken & Downtown Jersey City its been yuppified in 10 years and nothing but good has come out of it. Baltimore needs to encourage more Yuppies.
They drive up the cost of living for the good people going to work everyday and trying to survive the best way they can. They don't come in and create jobs that hire the people in the neighborhood. They generally run everyone that can't afford it out.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:39 AM

103 posts, read 301,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
I'm a Yuppie. A lot of my neighbors are yuppies.

We were the ones cleaning our street and spending our own money on salt when the ice/snow storm hit. We spent hours w/ sledgehammers and shovels breaking ice off the street, shoveling, and making our streets and sidewalks passable.

Every Friday, I sweep my block free of broken bottles, cigarette butts, broken flip flops, and trash. The only people that have come outside to help are my fellow Yuppies.

The >real< Baltimore neighbors sit on their stoops and complain. "When will the city get over here and help?" That's the attitude I've learned to hate.
For what? so u can price us out and get rid of us.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:44 AM

239 posts, read 759,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknotion View Post
They drive up the cost of living for the good people going to work everyday and trying to survive the best way they can. They don't come in and create jobs that hire the people in the neighborhood. They generally run everyone that can't afford it out.
I don't know how you can possibly justify that argument. How do yuppies increase the cost of living?

Don't create jobs that hire people? Who do you think is supporting local businesses w/ their dollars? 'Good people just getting by' or people with expendable income? Where the hell are the 'good people getting by' going to work? Who do you think their customers are?

It's short sighted nonsense like you're spouting that makes B'more a pretty crappy place to live. No one really wants change. They want old, dirty, weird B'more w/ 100 year old, crumbling houses.

Well, half your city is boarded up, and the other half is on the way. Enjoy the 19th century.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:05 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknotion View Post
For what? so u can price us out and get rid of us.

Who is "us"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore