Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:46 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,844 times

Advertisements

Like i said in my other post, I was living in the city (in the bad areas). We had roaches, and mice the last place in the city I lived we had more of a Mice problem(2006).
It was not a infestation inside the apartment because we were "clean freaks." but in the apartment hallway it was different story.
Where I'm at now (Owings mills area). I have not seen any rodents or infestations... We joke alot though because we get what I call "county bugs" that would TRY to come in from the outside... House Millipeeds on windows, and the the occasion slug on the patio after rainstorms, I guess they are here because the county has more trees and such.

I never had a big house centipede problem or slug problem in the city.

It really depends on the place. Some places have a exterminator other places you may be on your own...

Last edited by Jermaine88; 05-17-2010 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: House Centipede
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 09:59 PM

my apologies
I meant house centipede I get the 2 mixed up.
Not as big as in those photos but basically thats what they look like.
Scutigera coleoptrata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-18-2010, 12:37 PM

68 posts, read 271,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
my apologies
I meant house centipede I get the 2 mixed up.
Not as big as in those photos but basically thats what they look like.
Scutigera coleoptrata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I also see a lot of these weird "camel crickets" down here in my apartment. They're annoying and really hard to crush/kill. I usually scoop them up and toss them out the door. Never saw them before moving here.

Rhaphidophoridae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-19-2010, 03:47 PM

342 posts, read 912,305 times
I too am a college educated african american male from baltimore city ~park heights n belvedere ave. To be exact!! I understand your frustration but i think you fail to realize, that all the issues your speaking on affect every major city in america. Horrible school systems, violence, and poverty plague baltimore, d.c., philly, atlanta and about every other major city you can think of, black or white!! Baltimore is simply a city of the have's and have not's!!

Horrible school system= send your kids to private school
( i went to a private school and my teachers were ivy league grads, working on their masters white & black)

ghetto neighbors and violence= live in a nice area there are plenty federal hill, canton, homeland, ashburton, ruxton, guilford, and so forth!!

And i don't know exactly where you live but baltimore is a city with a dwindling ghetto, johns hopkins hospital and university of maryland have purchased and destroyed over 60% of the housing projects in the city!!

I understand your frustration but as a black man myself baltimore is a wonderful city, yes it has its problems, but within my years on this earth and traveling to other cities i have seen baltimore improve drastically from a small port city to now a large beautiful mecca for young professionals. And i think if these things affect you, try just moving to a nicer neighborhood and change the people you surround yourself with!!! I love my city and i think you should attempt to grow to love baltimore!!!! And don't generalize people, your statement about half the city being on some sort of social welfare! Yeah totally incorrect, baltimore is the largest city in the wealthiest state in america, yes maryland is the wealthiest sate in america when considering household income!!!

Yes their is a hood and their are poor people, but their are also young professionals and millionaires that live in this city, and we live well!! Im not speaking from the perspective of an older man, im coming to you as a 21 year old african american son of a successful 2 parent household!! Who was raised in the hood, lived in the hood, was educated in public schools k-8, and bettered myself!!! Lets improve the city and lets not bash it online, no hard feelings, but i love charm city!!!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
I too am a college educated african american male from baltimore city ~park heights n belvedere ave. To be exact!! I understand your frustration but i think you fail to realize, that all the issues your speaking on affect every major city in america. Horrible school systems, violence, and poverty plague baltimore, d.c., philly, atlanta and about every other major city you can think of, black or white!! Baltimore is simply a city of the have's and have not's!!

Horrible school system= send your kids to private school
( i went to a private school and my teachers were ivy league grads, working on their masters white & black)

ghetto neighbors and violence= live in a nice area there are plenty federal hill, canton, homeland, ashburton, ruxton, guilford, and so forth!!

And i don't know exactly where you live but baltimore is a city with a dwindling ghetto, johns hopkins hospital and university of maryland have purchased and destroyed over 60% of the housing projects in the city!!

I understand your frustration but as a black man myself baltimore is a wonderful city, yes it has its problems, but within my years on this earth and traveling to other cities i have seen baltimore improve drastically from a small port city to now a large beautiful mecca for young professionals. And i think if these things affect you, try just moving to a nicer neighborhood and change the people you surround yourself with!!! I love my city and i think you should attempt to grow to love baltimore!!!! And don't generalize people, your statement about half the city being on some sort of social welfare! Yeah totally incorrect, baltimore is the largest city in the wealthiest state in america, yes maryland is the wealthiest sate in america when considering household income!!!

Yes their is a hood and their are poor people, but their are also young professionals and millionaires that live in this city, and we live well!! Im not speaking from the perspective of an older man, im coming to you as a 21 year old african american son of a successful 2 parent household!! Who was raised in the hood, lived in the hood, was educated in public schools k-8, and bettered myself!!! Lets improve the city and lets not bash it online, no hard feelings, but i love charm city!!!
My argument is just walking through the city it's a mess. Catching the bus, train, walking around the harbor doing certain times (if schools are letting out), it's just ghetto.
Its just my opinion...I think its fair to let people know what they are getting themselves into if they considering moving to the city.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:19 PM

9 posts, read 25,119 times
B'more is rough. I was shocked to see such disparity between the "haves" and the "have-nots". Its disheartening. Every inner city and rural area as well are filled with children and parents who are suffering from apathy. Poverty doesn't just come in one color; its is not discriminatory. I lived in DC when it was considered "crack and prostitution mecca". In 1994 the District was "off the chain"...folks "ran" to the burbs. No one wanted to live in DC because of the crime rate. Now DC is gentrified and folks are pushing $1000 strollers in neighborhoods were drugs were running rampant. The "burbs" are now experiencing heavy crime rates and people are trying to get back into the city which is now unaffordable. Baltimore has alot of potential, in a few years those who are patient enough to witness transition will see the same gentrification that DC experienced.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledroitpark View Post
B'more is rough. I was shocked to see such disparity between the "haves" and the "have-nots". Its disheartening. Every inner city and rural area as well are filled with children and parents who are suffering from apathy. Poverty doesn't just come in one color; its is not discriminatory. I lived in DC when it was considered "crack and prostitution mecca". In 1994 the District was "off the chain"...folks "ran" to the burbs. No one wanted to live in DC because of the crime rate. Now DC is gentrified and folks are pushing $1000 strollers in neighborhoods were drugs were running rampant. The "burbs" are now experiencing heavy crime rates and people are trying to get back into the city which is now unaffordable. Baltimore has alot of potential, in a few years those who are patient enough to witness transition will see the same gentrification that DC experienced.
Can't fix people who don't want to be fixed......
It's going to take decades for this city to get better.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:37 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Jermaine, i didnt like the city for some of the same reasons u dont But, the city is making improvements slowly but surely. If they can get the Idiots out of the city it would be really be a nice place.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 AM

239 posts, read 759,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
In my Opinion some if not most people do not worry about grammar on the net. I for example, only worry grammar at my job, school and public. If I'm on the the internet I don't give a crap what people think...

People in this city are very good at not caring.

"I don't care, I'm just on a stoop"
"I don't care, it's just the bar"
"I don't care, we're just at a mall"

You can't turn off and on things like grammar. You mentioned that you worry about grammar in public, but not the internet? This website is visible to anyone with a computer, and your post perpetuates the very negative stereotypes you're bristling against. You should care b/c your posts are a reflection of more than you.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
People in this city are very good at not caring.

"I don't care, I'm just on a stoop"
"I don't care, it's just the bar"
"I don't care, we're just at a mall"

You can't turn off and on things like grammar. You mentioned that you worry about grammar in public, but not the internet? This website is visible to anyone with a computer, and your post perpetuates the very negative stereotypes you're bristling against. You should care b/c your posts are a reflection of more than you.

On the Net I'm not talking to people "face to face." No one here is going to offer me a job based on what I say on this forum. I'm not getting paid based on what I say here. I'm here to express my opinion. That's all that matters to me.

Admittedly I'm not the best at typing, but so what..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore