Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 08:33 AM

43 posts, read 141,351 times

Advertisements

What is going on with the boarded up building with "fells marketplace" or something of the like written on it?

I was talking to someone that they might be putting in condos? Also, that there will be a metro stop here in the future?

Sorry if this has been asked, I've done some googling and can't seem to find any info on it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 AM

Doh, I just answered my own question. should have added 'marketplace' to the search.

Marketplace at Fells Point

I guess the next question would be when is this starting.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:50 AM

239 posts, read 759,828 times
The last updates on that site are from early 2008. I think you're question is still valid. I thought it odd as well. I took some visitors into Fells and was pretty excited to show the market.

There were only 2 vendors open in the entire stretch.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 AM

Yeah, all I've found is an article from June 2009 that has since expired.

And someone posted back in December that project was going to benefit from the stimulus package.

It's a shame that there's nothing much north of Aliceanna right now. It seems that this project has actually compounded that problem as people were non-renewing leases with the expectation of construction.

I'm living on fleet, between broadway & ann now. Liquor store seems to attract a few more homeless people than other areas, but overall I like it.

Last edited by quaintpancake; 05-20-2010 at 09:18 AM..

Old 05-20-2010, 01:53 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
I spoke With the folks involved with the marketplace project and they assured me that it is still on and to expect construction to begin by the end of the this year. They also mentioned that the pier project is a go before the end of the year. However, I wonder about that with the economy just now beginning to start up again.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:25 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,809,455 times
Default The story so far

I go to the Broadway Market, which is the proper name, a couple of times a month to buy lunch meat and cheeses from the Polish lady who owns Sophie's. She assures everything is on target, but says she knows no details. Except that she may have to move temporarily once construction starts.
In essence, the main market building will get a second story that will contain space for community activities. Meanwhile the vacant rowhouse across the street will be rehabbed into apartments.
This may or may be a pie in the sky project as far as the market goes. None o the public markets is doing that great, except for Northeast, near the Johns Hopkins medical institutions. Lexington, which administered separately, is trying to change its mix in order to appeal to new residents moving into the market-rate apartment complexes that surround it.
Johnny Paterakis, the political money man whose family owns the country's largest privately held baking empire, used to head the municipal market board. I presume he gave it up after running into legal trouble over campaign contributions, but am now sure.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:38 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Project Finally Planned For Fells Point Eyesore - Project Economy News Story - WBAL Baltimore (http://www.wbaltv.com/money/23700978/detail.html - broken link)

Looks like they are finally starting on the project by St. Stanislaus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: