Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 07:09 PM

16 posts, read 37,439 times

Advertisements

I am applying to a few schools for grad school including NYU, Johns Hopkins and Cornell. I am married with a family of 4. The programs are full time programs so I may be working part-time in the form of internships. The programs range anywhere from 1 year to 2 years.

For JHU, where are some safe areas to live near the campus? I have elementary school considerations, so good schools are a major factor. Any specific apartment complexes (or other forms of housing options) names would be helpful. Thanks so much for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 02:23 PM

Bump.

I heard back from JHU and have been accepted to the MS in RE program. It's a full time program with a duration of 1 year. I am waiting back from the other schools, but now I need strongly consider the Baltimore area as my future home for at least the next year or so starting this Fall.

Here are some of my preferences:

Diverse (especially Asians as we are as Asian)
Good to Excellent Elementary Schools
Safe and Family Friendly (maybe suburbs similar to Irvine, CA)
Close to 100 International Drive in Baltimore

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2010, 02:35 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
100 International Drive in Baltimore? That's a new one. Mapquest doesn't show it.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
100 International Drive in Baltimore? That's a new one. Mapquest doesn't show it.
Google Maps shows it?

100 international drive baltimore md - Google Maps

Old 06-02-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedstress View Post
Also, I believe the area is called Harbor East.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:16 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
I never knew there was a street in that area with that name. To be honest, I looked at the google reference and still couldn't find it. The area it referenced is right downtown. There are plenty of neighborhoods in and around it that fit your description although you may have to do a good search to find the right elementary school. It would help if you posted the range you would be willing to spend for a place. Roland Park comes to mind but it may not be appropriate.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I never knew there was a street in that area with that name. To be honest, I looked at the google reference and still couldn't find it. The area it referenced is right downtown. There are plenty of neighborhoods in and around it that fit your description although you may have to do a good search to find the right elementary school. It would help if you posted the range you would be willing to spend for a place. Roland Park comes to mind but it may not be appropriate.
I am looking to rent with a budget of up $2,000. Based on my preliminary research, Columbia seems to be an area of consideration.

I just got off the phone with JHU and the address 100 International Drive is for the new Legg Mason building. Apparently, this is where classes for my program will be held.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,420 times
The Legg Mason building is in an area called Harbor East, but that simply refers to a local term used for that part of downtown. It's very nice down there, with great restaurants, entertainment, arts & culture, etc., but it would be very expensive to rent there. You could look at Canton or Fells Point (which are neighborhoods within minutes of Harbor East), but they may not be ideal for a family with kids... it's pretty crowded and has more of a party atmosphere.

Columbia might work for you, but you should also look at Baltimore County, because for $2,000 you would probably get a good deal of space. There are some great areas within a 20 to 30-minute commute radius (less without traffic), and they have quieter neighborhoods with good schools close by. Look in areas like Timonium, Towson, Parkville, Pikesville, White Marsh, etc.

You can usually find good rental listings on the homesdatabase website, which connects to the main portal that agents use. You can also check out craigslist or contact a realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore