Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:28 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times

Advertisements

Dirt bike crashes into car - baltimoresun.com

What can be done about the dirt bike gangs? The cops aren't allowed to chase them and couldn't catch them anyway if they did. They don't care about anyone but themselves and they are truly an embarassment.

Anyone have any ideas (real ones that could actually be implemented, not "just kill 'em all" or anything stupid like that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 AM

152 posts, read 487,586 times
I wonder how many bikes on the streets of Baltimore are actually titled and registered. Seems like an easy way to curb the problem would be to start impounding every non-registered dirtbike the cops see sitting around town. I also know that in most states (Maryland included), certain modifications must be made to dirtbikes for them to become street legal -- turn signals, taillights, etc. A lot of the bikes I've seen don't have these modifications. Also, if by some odd chance one of these dirtbikes IS registered, it's likely that it's done as "for offroad use only," which would automatically disqualify it from street use, no matter what modifications were made.

As with most issues like this, it comes down to enforcement. God only knows exactly what the BPD is actually enforcing these days, but we all know that the safety of motorists, cyclists and pedestrians (in no particular order) aren't top priorities.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:33 AM

152 posts, read 487,586 times
Now that I think about it, that might cause a riot in Baltimore. Those dirtbikes are part of a counterculture. Why not just cordon off a few blocks of empty rowhomes in the city and build a dirtbike park?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:41 AM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
I thought the military had the technology for Engine Disabling Weapons? If there is such a technology the City needs to get it and establish a tactical unit that goes out and uses it on these dirt bike gangs. They can be under cover and hang out in the parks and other areas where these guys hang out.. or they can pose as a dirt bike gang themselves and try to join in with a group and then fire away...The humane thing to do( and I know some may question that these riders are in fact human.. but lets say they are for the sake of argument) would be to wait until they slow up and or making a turn before shooting their bike as opposed to firing it when they are flying at 70 mph through a crowded street. If it could be fired from Foxtrot that would also give the an edge on them...Eventually the word would get out that the cops had such a device and hopefully that would deter the riders.. particuliarly if once they are caught they are fined heavily and or locked up for extensive jail times. Maybe some community service wouldnt be bad.. such as picking up trash and mowing weeded lots in some of the neighborhoods that they currently terrorize.Just some thoughts otherwise we need to hire Mad Max to get them under control

Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I thought the military had the technology for Engine Disabling Weapons? If there is such a technology the City needs to get it and establish a tactical unit that goes out and uses it on these dirt bike gangs. They can be under cover and hang out in the parks and other areas where these guys hang out.. or they can pose as a dirt bike gang themselves and try to join in with a group and then fire away...The humane thing to do( and I know some may question that these riders are in fact human.. but lets say they are for the sake of argument) would be to wait until they slow up and or making a turn before shooting their bike as opposed to firing it when they are flying at 70 mph through a crowded street. If it could be fired from Foxtrot that would also give the an edge on them...Eventually the word would get out that the cops had such a device and hopefully that would deter the riders.. particuliarly if once they are caught they are fined heavily and or locked up for extensive jail times. Maybe some community service wouldnt be bad.. such as picking up trash and mowing weeded lots in some of the neighborhoods that they currently terrorize.Just some thoughts otherwise we need to hire Mad Max to get them under control
Can you imagine all those weird Mad Max vehicles running around Baltimore? I actually think this city would make a great backdrop for a post-apocalyptic movie. Too bad the city/state is not doing such a good job attracting film production.

Anyway, I like the idea you had about the engine immobilizer.

I think another good idea would be to somehow restrict the sale of two-stroke oil, since most of those bikes are two-stroke and will not run on gasoline alone. But how can you do this? It would be pretty inconvenient to anyone who just wants to take a motorboat on a cruise or fill up a weedwacker.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:53 AM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Can you imagine all those weird Mad Max vehicles running around Baltimore? I actually think this city would make a great backdrop for a post-apocalyptic movie. Too bad the city/state is not doing such a good job attracting film production.

Anyway, I like the idea you had about the engine immobilizer.

I think another good idea would be to somehow restrict the sale of two-stroke oil, since most of those bikes are two-stroke and will not run on gasoline alone. But how can you do this? It would be pretty inconvenient to anyone who just wants to take a motorboat on a cruise or fill up a weedwacker.

yep.. i know in some cities (maybe even baltimore) they used to restrict the sale of spray paint to those under 18 to curb graffiti. I dont know how successful it has been since graffiti is now popular again particuliarly with street gangs.. Back in the 80s atleast they were artistic with their designs.

The other thing about restricting the two stroke oil of course would be creating a huge black market for two stroke engine oil. People would buy it up in the Counties and sell it on street corners in the city to the biker gangs. Baltimore would become 'Bartertown' and the gangs would duel it out in Druid Hill Park..."two man enter..one man leave"

Old 06-05-2010, 12:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Dirt bike crashes into car - baltimoresun.com

What can be done about the dirt bike gangs? The cops aren't allowed to chase them and couldn't catch them anyway if they did. They don't care about anyone but themselves and they are truly an embarassment.

Anyone have any ideas (real ones that could actually be implemented, not "just kill 'em all" or anything stupid like that).

6 feet of rope and a tall tree.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:55 PM

36 posts, read 92,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Baltimore would become 'Bartertown' and the gangs would duel it out in Druid Hill Park..."two man enter..one man leave"
Rawlings-Blake is no Tina Turner.

Perhaps aggressive enforcement action against gas stations who sell them gas. Similar to stings that combat underage alcohol sales. Yes, I realize this can be circumnavigated, but it is a step in the right direction. I mean really, with a no pursuit policy I can't think of anything else. You really don't want a sense of lawlessness to develop in a city.

Last edited by Max The Dog; 06-05-2010 at 04:04 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,457 times
The police chase the dirtbikes its never going to stop why is the government paying internal affairs thats what i call a paper pushing job...but on really its dirty cops out here the need to knock down lake clifton school in make it a bike park people just don't know how many broken bones and dead bodies at the hands of our cops ending up in our hospitals....also it will raise the tax revenue

Old 08-11-2014, 04:02 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,227 times
Building a bike park isn't going to solve the problem, and everyone knows it. 99% of these kids on these bikes have zero interest in obeying the law. Breaking the law is what makes these kids "gangsta".

They aren't going to stay on a "playground".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore