U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 06:10 AM

177 posts, read 496,764 times

Advertisements

where would you recommend for my girlfriend and me to live? We're 23 and 24.

An apartment or house in Bangor?

Maybe a house that's a little more secluded outside of town? What towns outside Bangor would be best?

Also, does anyone know anything about Chemo Pond? I saw a rental there, 2br 1ba, for $850 a month. Which, compared to living in Philadelphia where we pay $1000 a month for a loft, is amazing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 07:18 AM

8,767 posts, read 17,347,448 times
I'd recommend Burlington Vermont for a young couple. Maine is just not "youth friendly". There is a reason why a large proportion of Maine kids move away from Maine when they complete college or even high school. Burlington has a vibrance and vitality that comes from having a younger population. You don't see that in this state and Vermont is every bit as nice as Maine.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I'd recommend Burlington Vermont for a young couple. Maine is just not "youth friendly". There is a reason why a large proportion of Maine kids move away from Maine when they complete college or even high school. Burlington has a vibrance and vitality that comes from having a younger population. You don't see that in this state and Vermont is every bit as nice as Maine.

Vermont is waaaay too liberal for me. I've been vacationing in Maine with my family for almost my whole life, and there's no place I'd rather be. We just love being where it's quiet and where the pace of life isn't so fast. My girlfriend is originally from rural South Carolina, and pretty much feels the same way.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:02 AM

325 posts, read 656,828 times
try Portland, then. Much more of a youth-oriented town. Bangor has a largely semi-elderly population.

Burlington is a very crowded place. One reason why I left.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:07 AM

I'd live in the Portland area if I could find a job there. Funny thing how that's where everyone says the jobs are, but the only thing I've found is in Bangor!

I really like Bangor though, I've been there a few times.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:22 AM

6,933 posts, read 5,038,744 times
Portland is very close to being as liberal as Burlington (I moved from there not that long ago).

Old 07-09-2010, 08:24 AM

8,767 posts, read 17,347,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayb3 View Post
Vermont is waaaay too liberal for me. I've been vacationing in Maine with my family for almost my whole life, and there's no place I'd rather be. We just love being where it's quiet and where the pace of life isn't so fast. My girlfriend is originally from rural South Carolina, and pretty much feels the same way.
Bangor might be a good fit for you then. Less liberal than Portland and waayy less liberal than Burlington. Liberals don't bother me personally unless they are in some sort of political power. Then watch your wallet!!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:17 AM

325 posts, read 656,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayb3 View Post
I'd live in the Portland area if I could find a job there. Funny thing how that's where everyone says the jobs are, but the only thing I've found is in Bangor!

I really like Bangor though, I've been there a few times.
Tell me about it--been in Portland for many months without finding a job and am in fact relocating to Bangor!

I too would like a place a little less liberal--and I am not a conservative person!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:30 AM

Do either of you know anything about Chemo Pond or any of the other small lakes or ponds around Bangor? I've noticed a few small houses available for rent along them (not just vacation rentals), and I'm wondering if any are clean and swimmable? If I moved that could be a good option. I've vacationed on Pushaw Lake before and that was awesome.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:45 AM

164 posts, read 331,106 times
What about Brunswick?, we have only driven around it, but we thought with the college there it might have a younger population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area